It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKATEISTAN: Skating In Kabul, Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

SKATEISTAN: Skating In Kabul, Afghanistan

The program offers free skateboarding classes to youth communities in Kabul through a team of dedicated international and Afghan volunteers. Skateistan is open to girls and boys of all socio-economic backgrounds between the ages of 5 and 17. 50% of the Afghan population is under age 16, 75% is under the age of 25. This age group is a community that is largely untouched by international aid programs seeking to foster civil society development. Yet Afghanistan’s youth of today will become the country’s next generation of leaders. As such, they must be a focal point in the program's long-term strategy to decrease support for the anti-government insurgency and build a viable, inclusive Afghan state. Skateistan states: "As part of our mission, Skateistan programs specifically aim to include greater numbers of young girls and urban poor children. Our aim is to increase communication and understanding among different Afghan ethnicities and socio-economic groups in a fun, educational and positive environment."

Videos:

I just found this recently, actually I was surprised it didn't get more exposure. Just posting it here if anyone else want to see it, we must never let hope for a better future fade. This type of thing, imo is going to be more beneficial in the long term than just offering aid, or just killing the 'enemy'. This, education and honest, forward thinking politicians.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

I think these guys are the problem, they don't understand the culture of the country and just go ahead with their Western fantasies thinking it will work, not knowing it actually makes the situation worse.

When Westerners go there and try to teach Afghan kids in Western manner, it actually infuriates Afghans.

Imagine Chinese people coming to US and trying to teach Americans in Chinese style.

It is like a stranger taking your kid to shopping, it is infuriating, add their own culture to the mix, takes the fury off the charts. No, I'm not BSing you, I'm from Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Fair point, but there just giving the kids some enjoyment in life, what are some of the options here?
They could leave them in the situation they are,
They could just focus on education,
They could try a more accepted sport? (whatever that means)
Truth is, there is always going to be someone that is apposed to it, you can't please everyone when you are trying to change things, even more so in a controlling country. But that is no reason not to change anything.

Why would the skateboarding program 'infuriate afghans'? The kids are afghans and they don't look infuriated, but I assume you are talking about the parents? well would they not have stopped them from going, if they were that infuriated (or at least not let them return)? I don't think everyone is 'infuriated', the majority of those overtly annoyed would be the people fearful of change or those with more extreme views, and is pandering to them going to bring any light to the situation? is skateboarding going to cause them to be aggressive? well.. we could bring that to an bigger question.

Is ANY change going to cause them to be infuriated?

I realise that skateboarding might not be the best thing, and perhaps better infrastructure, education, and politics would be more effective, but as long as the program is not causing more problems than its solving then its going some sort of good.

How do you think we should go about it?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I think you are forgetting, such programs are supported by the occupying forces, do you even know what that means, did you even understand what I was trying to say?

Imagine the Chinese coming to US and teaching your kids the Chinese language, and how to be a good ol communist and teaching you the Chinese way of life.

Afghans have their own sports, one is called Qhursai, that is pretty hard to say, another is called Buz Kashi..

We used to love wrestling.

We had many things, we had kite fighting.

There is a war in Afghanistan because of such policies.

They killed all the educated Afghans, just like USSR, and left all the dumb ones who live and die for culture and religion..

If you only left them, then at least integrate amongst them and learn what they think about.

Afghans are respectful people, they usually keep it in, until they have enough, and that is when you see couple of Westerners kidnapped and their nicks cut off.

They expect you to know better.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well, lets look a little at the organization:
* Established by Oliver Percovich in May 2007.
* Officially registered as an Afghan non-governmental organization in July 2009
* In 2009 they revived 50,000 euro from Germany's Federal Foreign Office
* Again in 2009, they got 1 million dollars by Afghanistan's Olympic committee funded by local and international donations.

articles.latimes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Are the students safe? Skateistan's students skate in a supervised and secure private facility that is built and run with community consent; skateboarding activities are kept off the streets of Kabul as much as possible. The NGO's management is in regular communication with ANSO (Afghanistan NGO Safety Organisation), as well as with government and local community leaders, so that it receives regular security updates and conducts its activities safely.

skateistan.org...

The occupying forces may very well be involved, but if that is true we need sources or evidence.

This, from the website may answer some of your questions:

Was the community involved during construction of the Skateistan Park? Yes. Involving the local community was important for consent; Skateistan makes great efforts to operate in a culturally-sensitive and appropriate manner. In Australia, Europe, and the United States, it is common for local government, youth, parents, and community groups to work together to build safe, supervised, and youth-friendly skateboarding facilities. The NGO has duplicated that process in Afghanistan.

skateistan.org...

I understand where your coming from, but with respect, I don't think its as bad as you are making it out to be.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Please don't take me the wrong way, I do come out as harsh sometimes.

The reason why I come across this way, is because USSR tried everything the new occupying forces are trying right now.

In the end, you can support this cause if you like, that is the choice you have as a human being, and I will not say no more, I have laid forward my opinion.

All we can do now is wait and see.

If this helps, I will be as happy as you

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

No problem, feel free to say what you like.

What the soviets did was mistakes anyone now in Afghanistan should have learned from, that being:

Critics of Soviet and Afghan government forces describe their effect on Afghan culture as working in three stages: first, the center of customary Afghan culture, Islam, was pushed aside; second, Soviet patterns of life, especially amongst the young, were imported; third, shared Afghan cultural characteristics were destroyed by the emphasis on so-called nationalities, with the outcome that the country was split into different ethnic groups, with no language, religion, or culture in common.

The Geneva Accords of 1988, which ultimately led to the withdrawal of the Soviet forces in early 1989, left the Afghan government in ruins. The accords had failed to address adequately the issue of the post-occupation period and the future governance of Afghanistan.

en.wikipedia.org...

The way the Soviets did things were wrong, not that the Americans are doing that much better, but at the end of the day, this (skatistan) from what I understand, is a operation funded by donations, organizations, and certain countries and not the occupying forces, but I might be wrong on that, even if I am I think its a possible positive.

As you say, we can only wait and see.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'll just wanted to add this: Its video diary's from the directors, shooting in Afghanistan. Again not sure I entirely agree with everything, but as I said before, its could turn out good.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
As someone who skates ( albeit not too good! ) i reckon its great !

Its something these kids and any kids anywhere can do, anywhere there is concrete, and most cities and towns have plenty of that and not a lot else.

and its a counter culture acitivity, skaters in western countries have problems with local laws, they grow with their own identity where ever they skate. The counter culture aspect is always healthy.

However the girls look like they are gonna have problems culturally, but if they skate they will get respect from the male skaters and it may be a small step towards something.

everything has gotta to start somewhere.

I don't think it is pushing western culture, it is pushing a skateboard.

Roll on...

new topics

top topics

join