It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion-VS- Entertainment, One is Winning. Wanna Guess Which?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I am Agnostic, and I want to put that out there right off. I am in no way endorsing or backing any religious doctrine, nor those who claim to know it.

What I would like to bring to this discussion is the hits and misses of today's religious folks. I remember when I was a kid, everyone went to church on Sunday. Kids weren't even that upset about it, because cartoons were on Saturdays.

Now cartoons are 24 hours a day, you can barely get a kid to brush their teeth, because of what they might be missing on the t.v, or phones.

When there were cartoons back then, there were religious shows for kids. The one I remember was Davey and Goliath (claymation). Now we have 3D, superb animation, that right now you wouldn't get 6 seconds of a kids attention with such a show. Or what replaced it was talking vegetables, talking about the bible. WHAT?? (Veggie Tales).

Now how does that make sense? Your replacement for teaching children about god and the bible is... veggies?

Now lets see about movies. I guess because they still play that Moses movie (The Ten Commandments) on the holidays it counts as being "still on the air", but the only thing that kids have to look up to today is half human hero's, or demi-gods, hero's from other planets, and aliens, yes aliens, because frankly the last time I checked Superman, wasn't from Kansas.

Music, as far as music, yes there is a pretty large group of kids that sing rock songs for religious kids, but I bet if you checked your kids I-Pod, its there, but hasn't been played for months, even years, there's about 1,000 songs on a regular kids I-Pod, do you think the only songs on it are religious? There probably isn't 1,000 religious songs available today.

Those who do take their kids to church often, usually afterward go to see movies like, Return to Witch mountain, because it seems kid friendly and is probably the only one thats rated PG-13, I cant remember the last time I saw a PG movie being played. Now to me, and I'm an adult, would get the wrong signals, after leaving church and then seeing something like the Golden Compass, and I know many, many religious people took their kids to see that.

Now we have the holidays, and this for me is the most confusing. How it is not confusing to teach your kids about jesus, and santa? Or the easter bunny, and looking for eggs at church. How about halloween, how many religious people are not online tonight, because they took their kids trick or treating?

Now if you've gotten this far with me, then I will get to the finish. There is NO need for people to fight religion, there is NO reason to think that the devil is making your kid rebellious to you, or church. Its not the movie companies, and its not music industry, as we all know they have agendas of their own.

And they are SUCCEEDING! We have forced our children to live on the fence when it comes to what they do, or who they do it with, we have managed to confuse an entire generation, and then turn it around and wonder who to blame. Instead of saying, hey son/daughter, be a good kid, and dont lie or cheat, try to help out others, and dont fall for everything, because it can lead you in the wrong direction, we allowed our kids to want to be thugs, and gangsters, young girls to where thongs, and kids to blame it all on everyone, except themselves.

The confusion has a source, its not just that its almost impossible for people to understand that the more technologically advanced we get the further we get from caring, and loving, and having friends, and family, and of course togetherness. We have allowed ourselves to hope that a book, and a day (Sunday) to try to make our children what they were supposed to be, and failed.

Just wanted to add, that I am not actually for most of the movies I have added, and they may seem outdated, well, because I dont watch things like that, but the way you wont see Return to witch mountain in my house, is the same way you wont see the bible. I have noticed that many are dealing with an inner conflict that if looked at all sides can be dealt with, just thought Id share.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Clouded by the egotistical society from day 1

Its all planned, who'm ever wins gets to write history.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

OP:

Have you ever studied the work of Dr Ivin Panin and the "Heptadic Structures" of the Bible??

I think it's time you shed the "agnostic" identity.

edit on 1-11-2010 by NOTurTypical because: terrible spelling

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

From a WORLD perspective religion is still way ahead by a long way I'm afraid.

Just ask all of the African women who have contracted HIV because the pope told them not to use condoms

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

From a WORLD perspective religion is still way ahead by a long way I'm afraid.

Just ask all of the African women who have contracted HIV because the pope told them not to use condoms

See what happens when you listen to the pope instead of God?

God told them to wait until marriage to have sex, then when married to not commit adultery.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to ask if you could elaborate on your post. As Ive never heard of heptadic structures, and what I did find when searched had something to do with the number 7.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to ask if you could elaborate on your post. As Ive never heard of heptadic structures, and what I did find when searched had something to do with the number 7.

Peace, NRE.

Yes, "Heptadic" has to do with the number 7. It's the fingerprint of the Holy Spirit's authorship of the Old and New testaments.

Heptadic Structure Code

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

OP:

Have you ever studied the work of Dr Ivin Panin and the "Heptadic Structures" of the Bible??

I was curious why you had asked me the question, and no Ive never studied it, until about 10 minutes I never even heard of it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yeah, NUT has responded somewhat accurately to your post...I don't get people who try to "blame" the Pope for the spread of HIV due to not wearing condoms. I mean, the Pope (and Christianity in general,) condemns sex outside of marriage. So if the person who impregnated that poor african woman listened to one thing the Pope said (don't wear condoms), but ignored the other (don't have sex outside of marriage), it is the Pope's fault?

As for the original topic, yeah, obviously entertainment is winning. The perils of the entertainment industry aside, I don't think religion should be trying to "compete" with it anyhow. The major purpose of religion isn't entertainment, so it will never win against pure entertainment. There are many shows that are about good values and religion and such- Lord of the Rings, for example, was written by a devout Christian, who infused his story with the values and the allegories. His friend wrote The Chronicles of Narnia, which has also become a movie (although personally, I didn't think they were all that great, but they have shown to be popular), which is an even more obvious allegory of Christianity. Yesterday I watched The Book of Eli, which in spite of the plotholes and absurdities, and the didn't stray very far into Christianess, also has a core Christian message. Entertainment inspired by religion may possibly work, but entertainment used to cover a religious lecture is going to bore the kid.

Best bet is to control the TV time, and the video game time, or participate in it (although most parents will claim they don't have enough time for that).
edit on 1-11-2010 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

OP:

I was curious why you had asked me the question, and no Ive never studied it, until about 10 minutes I never even heard of it.

Peace, NRE.

The Spirit of the Lord put it on my heart to ask you.

I just obey.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

NoregretsEver,

I must inform you one has already won. Sure in this world entertainment is the all because it is the game to keep people dumbed down and it is sucessful except for a few, very few I must add. The one that won is Christianity and that happened when Yahshua died then ressurected to life. It proved it to be true and all others false. There is mostly false being promoted about it and that is to ensnare the gulible and pleasure seekers. Tfhe right path in this world has never been the popular path. I won't give you any Bible but know this, it is the most valuable Book in this old world.

Truthiron.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I have to say that I think that my thread was misunderstood. I in no way was endorsing anything, but what I was trying to get across with the confusion amongst the religious as far as their teaching, and the distraction of the media, and what part they play in it.

This does not prove the bible, this does not prove my thoughts on religion, what I was trying to say is that the faults and accusations of those that follow religion should be looked at more closely, as they play a large part in why music, movies, and t.v, are disruptive to their belief's and they choose to blame them as opposed to not accepting their part.

Peace, NRE.

top topics

join