It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia bans women from working

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I am having a hard time believing this. Apparently, some judicial panel in Saudi has just decreed that women cannot work anywhere they might encounter men. i.e. Supermarkets, shops etc.

As if women werent oppressed enough in that country already.

Apparently even the Saudi King doesent like it but is powerless to stop these crusty clerics that really run the country.

Never mind All-Qaeda and their fantastic exploding underwear, we should be spending millions of dollars stopping this kind of backward muppetry from the dark ages.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Repulsive..simply repulsive.

These nutcase clerics need to be castrated.

Islam...nope,not a fan.

Keep religion out of politics people...islam is a growing religion...in 100 years, the majority of western countries could be islam...made a hard and fast rule that no religion ever should influence law or politics.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have more than a few ex's who would love that idea. My guess is that feminists outside of S.A. will be way more upset about this than the women there.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
I am having a hard time believing this. Apparently, some judicial panel in Saudi has just decreed that women cannot work anywhere they might encounter men. i.e. Supermarkets, shops etc.

As if women werent oppressed enough in that country already.

Apparently even the Saudi King doesent like it but is powerless to stop these crusty clerics that really run the country.

Never mind All-Qaeda and their fantastic exploding underwear, we should be spending millions of dollars stopping this kind of backward muppetry from the dark ages.

news.yahoo.com...

Unfortunately, in that place, every court that is ruled by a cleric, is bound by the rulings of that cleric, who's interpretation of sharia is his alone. So they basically are ruled by a bunch of sadistic old farts, imo.

Sanity, morality, dignity - has nothing to do with it.

And this is why so many enclaves of islam in western lands is often taken as extreme - one sadistic man given the same privileges in a community has a lot of power over it. Doesnt matter what 'the majority' say, since they're hardly ever in a position to make a difference.

Just add a little bit of perceived intolerance towards them, you can turn the easiest fool to extremity, and bend them to your will. Even if it's not a real intolerance..

It starts right where you posted; why would anyone believe it stops there?

It's sad really, I see so many documentaries on the rights of Women in islamic nations, and they really do want it. These sadistic morons just have too much obligatory power under sharia....

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Surely, we are at war with Islam (except for the Saudis)
Surely, all flights were cancelled on 9/11/01 (except for the Saudis)
Surely, we are against all terrorists (except for the Saudis)
Surely, we are against the oppression of any sex/religion/etc. (except for the Saudis)

Everything is horrible, (except for the Saudis)

Follow the money in all conspiracies. The Saudis will appear somewhere.

You didn't hear it here.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
...our country is severely screwed up due to stickin our nose in everyone else's biz under the false pretense that we give a hoot about the common folk (of which we've killed millions of in just the past 8 years)... its bs, always has been... if the saudi women dont like how things are, they'll have to change it themselves... its their biz, not ours...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

This is insupportable.

If the King can't stop it, who can?

I am sick and tired of these old men, "religious" men (NOT!) ruining peoples' lives.

Just look at the vatican - full of old, rich, corrputed men.

Woman haters - all of them.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Separation of Mosque and state! No words of seperation have ranged so true! I feel sorry for these women. Women needs rights.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Rebel,

If we can kick these horrible old men out to where they belong, we will get there.

Where do they belong? In the hell they have created for others.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I know Islam is supposed to present Women in a good light. What a lot of these pro Muslim nations do is go against Islam. Sorry for the large source I needed to use.
Source

The image of a woman wearing a veil from head to toe, a woman who gets unfair justice or a woman who is not allowed to drive is an all too familiar notion when it comes to women treatment in Islam. And while there are Muslim countries in the world that do implement many harsh rulings against women, this should not be portrayed as Islamic law. Many of these countries have cultural differences that go against the teachings of Islam. It should be noted that during pre-Islam Arabia women were used for fornication only and had no independence. The birth of a daughter in a family was considered humiliating and the practice of female infanticide was uncontrolled. When Islam came to being, verses in the Quran condemned the practice of female infanticide. Islam gave back many human rights to the woman and Muhammad(s) was even reported saying that “women are the twin halves of men.” A Muslim woman is allowed to reject and accept any suitor for marriage and has the right to seek divorce. There is nothing in Islam that forbids a Muslim woman from exiting her house and is allowed to drive. Also in regards to education, a woman is obligated to seek knowledge and it is considered a sin if she refuses.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
My ex fiance would love to live there then. She hated to work.

jokes aside;

Saudia Arabia still cuts hands and what not off, but according to the commercials I saw during the start of WoT they are our allies.

Even though they pretty much despise everything that America stands for but uhhh

WOOO?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yes, they have certainly gone bad on treating women well - and I would like to say to any suicide bombers out there - firstly, isn't your life worth something?

And secondly, because you have treated women badly, you won't get those virgins in heaven that you believe you will get.

Because you will not be in heaven - you will be in hell, paying the price for killing innocent people.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Originally posted by catwhoknows
This is insupportable.

If the King can't stop it, who can?

I am sick and tired of these old men, "religious" men (NOT!) ruining peoples' lives.

The problem is clearly stated from the article:

The But his efforts appear to be challenged by the influential religious scholars, who play a key role in the monarch's legitimacy.

And thus the solution is implied. Get rid of the monarchy...well, I'm not saying outsiders should, but they should themselves....they've tried before (in 1979 they seized Mecca), but the Sauds then called for outside interference (including French troops storming Mecca, where supposedly no non-muslims are allowed), which then helped get rid of them.

new topics

top topics

join