It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 to be featured on Fox (News) show tonight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
On The Record with Greta Van Susteren is to feature the F-22 on a live show from Nellis tonight (Monday 10 EST).

Fox News

I was stunned by the F/A-22 (the Raptor). I thought that it would be a "new and improved" fighter plane but I was stunned at how different it is from the F-16. It's ability to out maneuver the F-16 was so extraordinary that I was almost speechless.

I assure you, you will be stunned that a fighter plane could be so different, so much better and so much more dangerous to the enemy.

This could also have went in M/E forum but I think Raptor enthusiasts should get this info on the F-22 show.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
im going to watch this show tonight the F-16 was supposed to be the chase plane it could not keep up with the F-22 that's what I heard on the commercials on TV.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Great show, that plane is pretty awesome with the ability to maintain Mach1.5
speed without using afterburners, like comparing Nextel cup cars to Formula 1 cars.......Here's 2 pics.

(photos:coutesy Fox)

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Greta can't pull G's like R. Lee Ermey, but she still has my respect and admiration.
That was a great segment. Even with the limited perspective they had on the F/A-22 from the chase plane and "Fair's" bird, the Raptor was impressive.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The raptor killed the F-16 the raptor could stop and get behind the F-16 with no problem what was really impressive the raptor turned to the right and the f-16 tried to follow by the time the F-16 turned the raptor was behind the F-16. but in the show she said the raptor could do mach 2 and more is that true.

[edit on 29-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
but in the show she said the raptor could do mach 2 and more is that true.

If the Raptor can cruise at 1.5mach speed without afterburners, you would have to think that mach2 would be no problem, when afterburners are activated.......

I stand corrected.......check out the specs 1.8Mach

www.af.mil...

Although I would think this is something that would still be kept secret, Mach 2 is still a good possibility...

[edit on 29-6-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Did anyone record it to their PC?

I live in the UK and don't have satellite/cable so this would be out of my reach and it sounds like something I would really wanna see

If you do please may I have a copy by any way?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have a show recorded 3 years ago talking with Paul Metz, the former Northrop test pilot that Lockheed hired to do first flight of the Raptor, he said that supercruise was 1200 mph, that's Mach 1.8.

So that's not bogus info.

Btw, Mach 1.8 is as fast as a Hornet going flat out with no external stores.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
look I think the airforce is not releasing the full speed of the raptor if the raptor can supercruise 1.5-1.8 then mach 2 or mach 2.5 should be no problem maybe they don't want us to know that I mean after all it should go past mach 2 it has the most powerful engines of any fighter jet ever produced.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

look I think the airforce is not releasing the full speed of the raptor if the raptor can supercruise 1.5-1.8 then mach 2 or mach 2.5 should be no problem maybe they don't want us to know that I mean after all it should go past mach 2 it has the most powerful engines of any fighter jet ever produced.

With the exceptioin of the Mig-25. I think you meant to say that it has the most powerful engines of any American fighter jet that was ever produced.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
One problem it cost somewhere between $70 million and a breathtaking $198 million.

The F119-PW-100 has 40 percent fewer major parts than current engines. High-temperature Alloy C titanium is used in the compressor stator and the thrust-vectoring nozzle.

The F-22 cockpit presents the pilot with blocks of highly condensed information in easy-to-comprehend formats

The aircraft's computing power rivals that of supercomputers

Info: www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This thing is amazing, a combonation of speed, range, manueverability and stealth. Why didn't an F-15 be the chase plane since the Raptor is supposed to replace it. There were rumors saying the computing power wast the equivlent of two cray super computers. I'd like to post on ATS from the cockpit of that thing.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The reason the F-15 wasn't the chase plane was because the pilots at the base were former F-16 pilots then they were getting transferred to the raptor so there is your answer.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
That would make sense except I thought since it was the F-15 getting to be replace F-15 pilots would get to fly the F-22. Flying an F-15 actually requires a lot of training like the F-14. I think you have to have to have a certain amount of experience to fly an F-15.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   

With the exceptioin of the Mig-25. I think you meant to say that it has the most powerful engines of any American fighter jet that was ever produced.

Although it was never entered production do not forget about the YF-12 devivative of the A-12 from which the SR-71 was derived. It was equiped with 2 Pratt and Whitney J-58 axial-flow turbojets with afterburners
and each produced 32,500 pounds of thrust.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
www.airtoaircombat.com...

I thought it was only F-15 pilots but guess we are both wrong they are taking pilots from the F-16 and F-15 don't know why but there might be a good reason for it. According to this site the F-22 can produce 35.000 pounds of thrust is that right here is the link.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

www.airtoaircombat.com...

Cool link. did a few comparisons. The fuel fraction of the Raptor is huge. Its 0.45 compared to the Flankers 0.29. The Flankers would go up with external tanks, but I think they are developing stealthy conformational fuel tank for the Raptor as well

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
how dose the fuel fraction thing work idont understand that is it the higher the number more fuel gets used more quickly?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   

how dose the fuel fraction thing work idont understand that is it the higher the number more fuel gets used more quickly?

I think that fuel fraction is the percentage of fuel carried vs max weight of the aircraft or something like that. The hight the number the more fuel the plane had on board

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Wrong, Mig-25 engines have 2x133 kN(Mig-31 has 151kN) with afterburner. F-22 has 2x155kN with afterburner (and 2x142 without it).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join