It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grimsvotn volcano in Iceland, to erupt in 4-5 days! Expect eruption by 5 November!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Grimsvotn is an Iceland volcano that has been erupting about every 6 years during past decades
In the past few weeks, the volcano showed increase harmonic tremor, earthquakes and GPS inflation, all signs of an approaching eruption.

A few hours ago, the rivers that drain the glacier where the volcano is located have began to rise in flow, indicating that a glacial flood is underway and that an eruption is very likely to start within the next 4-5 days. This is a pattern that occured before in 2004 and 1996. Last time, in 2004 Grimsvotn caused some flight disruption in Europe. So, expect the same again.

www.mbl.is...

Grimsvotn has produced the 1783 catastrophic Laki eruption, but recently the volcano has been having only small eruptions.
edit on 31-10-2010 by segurelha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by segurelha

The link to the full article in english if your Icelandic is a bit rusty!

I object to your scaremongering title. It does NOT state that in the source material anywhere. It says that the flow may take 4 to 5 days to reach maximum volume which is NOT the same as an eruption.

If you can find the full article (it is out there somewhere) then this goes into great detail about the 1996 sub-glacial eruption at Grimsvotn and subsequent jökulhlaups

A jökulhlaup (or glacier burst) is a glacial outburst flood. It is an Icelandic term that has been adopted by the English language. It originally referred to the well-known sub-glacial outburst floods from Vatnajökull, Iceland which are triggered by geothermal heating and occasionally by a volcanic sub-glacial eruption, but it is now used to describe any large and abrupt release of water from a subglacial or proglacial lake/reservoir.

Note that it says geothermal heating and occasionally by a volcanic sub-glacial eruption. In other words it does not have to erupt to be melting.

The plots for Grimsvotn are showing increased earthquake frequencies but the harmonic tremor frequencies seem to be relatively steady.

Perhaps you would care to quote your sources for the increased tremor/GPS?
edit on 31/10/2010 by PuterMan because: Ah, the inevitable speeling erra

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c2a35a23cff.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/997d620376a1.png[/atsimg]

just sayin...

Keep an eye on this.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
NOVEMBER 2004

I had to turn off sound, Freddy Mercury and that video just doesn't go together.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I think you may have read it wrong and may want to change the name of your thread. Here is the report.

Monday 1st November 2010
Grimsvotn Volcano, Iceland
A possible eruption has begun at Grimsvotn volcano, Iceland. A flood has started in Gigja in south-east Iceland. The disturbance occurred under the Vatnajokull glacier near Grimsvotn Volcano on Sunday afternoon. There was an increase in flow of water by 30 cm but other rivers running from the glacier are dry. The flood may take 4-5 days to reach maximum. On Sunday the volume of water in Gigja was 130 cubic metres per second, and electrolyte levels double that of normal. Grimsvotn is the most active volcano in Iceland.

Source John Search

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ongoing Discussion here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has erupted.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
According to hisz.rsoe.hu... it's just erupted. See thread by rajaten
BREAKING NEWS! Icelandic Volcanic Armageddon! Grimsvotn Has Blown!
started on posted on 11/1/2010 @ 03:29 AM
edit on 11/1/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
event description from RSOE

A possible eruption has begun at Grimsvotn volcano, Iceland. A flood has started in Gigja in south-east Iceland. The disturbance occurred under the Vatnajokull glacier near Grimsvotn Volcano on Sunday afternoon. There was an increase in flow of water by 30 cm but other rivers running from the glacier are dry. The flood may take 4-5 days to reach maximum. On Sunday the volume of water in Gigja was 130 cubic metres per second, and electrolyte levels double that of normal. Grimsvotn is the most active volcano in Iceland.

A POSSIBLE ERUPTION

Mila cams get ready.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Mila Cams Iceland

No Grimsvotn on here. Hopefully they'll put one up.
edit on 1-11-2010 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

There is no eruption!

If there was eruption this would show hundreds of tremors.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Of course there is no eruption at the moment. Only glacial flood caused by the heat of the volcano.
But Icelandic geologists (not me) predict a very likely eruption within the next days.
This will probably be a small eruption.

My initial post is no fearmongering. Just a prediction from scientists. Link is in Icelandic, please use google translator. There was an increase in GPS inflation at the volcano and harmonic tremor, which indicates magma pushing up inside the volcano. Earthquakes are happening but before Grimsvotn eruptions they usually occur north of the volcano: there has been hundreds of earthquakes there during the last couple of months.

There are no webcams near, the volcano is located under a glacier of hundreds of km around.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Its crazy that if it does blow it'll be almost to the day it did in 2004. Nov 2nd '04.
2nd line

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ok..8 .. scratch that - nine [Grimsvotn in Iceland will be erupting in about 4-5 days apparently, notwithstanding Indonesia and Russia..] volcanoes are active, massive holes opening up around the world, and Michigan is being ripped apart. Is this not a little out of the ordinary?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I predicted that Katla would blow up by November 1. I guess I was a bit late, and it's a different volcano, but it seems like it is still gonna happen in Iceland.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I still remember your prediction.
Magma movement is also under Katla and Hekla.
These 2 should erupt within a few years.

Nothing wrong with that.
In 1875-1918 there were 3 VEI6 eruptions of the world, one was Krakatoa and two more in Iceland VEI5.
Since then, the world only experienced one VEI6 Pinatubo, and no VEI5 in Iceland.

So, this increase in volcanoes in only expected to be the normal!!!
Normal would be to see several catastrophic eruptions within the next decades.

Originally posted by 19872012
I predicted that Katla would blow up by November 1. I guess I was a bit late, and it's a different volcano, but it seems like it is still gonna happen in Iceland.

top topics

join