It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the need for Stealth Ships in South Africa?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
What possible need would the south African Navy have for steath corvette/frigates like this one pictured below, are'nt they having a tough time economically. Who would they fight with these ships?

Ports & Ships

The third new stealth corvette for the South African Navy arrived at the Simons Town naval base from Germany yesterday (Sunday, 30 May 2004).

A fourth corvette is on order

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Pirates for one. Believe me, 21st century pirates are very high tech. Also, South Africa has frequently found itself at war with it's neighbours to the north.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I can see pirates, i mean, what bigger target is there then south africa in the area, who wouldn't want to knock off a nice big juicy gold shipment

but it's neighbors to the north? please, none of them has a navy larger then a canoe

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
why to people think S. Africa is a nice little country run by nice little people, they spend lots on their military, have mass poverty and uncounted aids problems, WHY THE HELL DO THEY NEED STEALTH SHIPS who the hell would invade S.Africa

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
another question, the answer to which might be relevant to the stealth ship question is, why did they need nukes?

cns.miis.edu...
fas.org...

while their neighbours are generally not very strong militarily, they have a habit of squandering what money they do receive on military activity. the stealth ships do seem a little ott for the mbeki administration though.

-koji K.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The nukes were a little more understandable in the context of the times when many countries to their north either were communist run or about to be due to Soviet and Cuban influence and support of rebels.

South Africans sure got rid of them fast when it was realized that the Afrikaners would lose control of the country - guess they did'nt want them to fall into the ANC's hands.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
its another case of he has it I want it they just see other countries getting stealth ships and they want some but they don't need it for war who are they going to fight like someone said all the other countries in the region have canoes foot a navy.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Actually South Africa is doing rather well economically. The problem with the West it always wants to lump South Africa with the rest of Africa. South Africa has historically had a rather strong navy, and I would suspect that the new government are trying to keep up with the Jones' rather than the Mugabes ( who by the way are landlocked).

The question I have is why would any country need nuclear weapons? Haven't we learnt for the Hiroshima Nagasaki incidents that this is not an occasion where the usage of nuclear weapons could be considered as
an acceptable response.

"The following is a list of nations that have admitted the possession of nuclear weapons, and the approximate number of warheads under their control. This list is informally known in global politics as the "Nuclear Club".

United States - 10,640
Russia - 8,600
People's Republic of China - 400
France - 350
United Kingdom - 200
India - 60-90
Pakistan - 24-48

Israel - It is questionable whether Israel should be classed as a "suspected state" at this point. Israel is not a member of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and refuses to officially admit or deny having a nuclear arsenal, or to having developed nuclear weapons, or even to having a nuclear weapons program. Although former Prime Minister Shimon Peres unofficially acknowledged this last fact in the summer of 1998, extensive information about this program in Dimona was disclosed by physician Mordechai Vanunu in 1986, and imagery analysts can identify weapon bunkers, mobile missile launchers, and launch sites in satellite photographs. It is clear though that Israel can deploy or employ nuclear weapons at will, and it is suspected to possess nuclear weapons by the International Atomic Energy Agency. According to the National Resources Defense Council and the Federation of American Scientists, they may possess 100-200 weapons."

et etc ... what does Israel need nuclear weapons for again?

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Mynaeris]

top topics

join