It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you lie under oath?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
A simple question really.

The reason for asking: You will be asked if you swear to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

People that does not necessarily believe in a God, how will this oath bind them, or force them to tell the truth?
I understand it is illegal to lie under oath, my question though concerns the "religious part" of the oath taking.

How can one swear to tell the truth, if a said person does not hold these values as sacred?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

How can one swear to tell the truth, if a said person does not hold these values as sacred?

Non sensical question as you would have to prove that every person that says to hold these values sacred DOES hold those values sacred.

Then you would have to prove that even if they did hold said values sacred they wouldn't lie ( before you try and correct this point remind yourself again that you are human as are other humans - I'm sounding more cryptic by the sentence - pun not intended).

Further you would have to prove that if someone swears on whatever book or object, that they mean it. Which is just about as mature as a 2nd grader.

To continue, your entire post implies that you have some sort of faith in the justice system or that you are trying to point out the irregularities. In the latter case I will help you: A court of law is only valuable if everybody is held to the same standard. So is law. Ask yourself if this is the case. No is the correct answer as there exists a 'notion' of money.

So in retrospect, if your lawyer is expensive enough you will be told to lie. I hope by now you will understand that little irrelevant rituals are just that, irrelevant. Wake up, it's 2010.

edit on 31-10-2010 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
In the bible the book of James ...5:12 And above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath. But let your “Yes” be yes and your “No” be no, so that you may not fall into judgment.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
maybe thats why people lie and cheat and steal !

....from each other and themselves ...

what goes around comes around !

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The 10 commandments can not be displayed on the court house lawns.
Then the bible or God does not mean much to the court system either.
I plead the 5th

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
No I would not lie under any oath. I would not answer to avoid a lie.

I am reminded of Diogenes who searched the world over and died not finding an honest man.

edit on 31-10-2010 by dizziedame because: i needed to add ed to a word.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

How would you know an honest man?

I think this goes back to the original question.

And I don't think it is a silly question either. It has nothing to do with faith in God. But I do think it needs to be re-issued in that if you do lie, you can be penalized.

Would I lie? Well it would depend on the situation. If I thought it was important, I would.

new topics

top topics

join