It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fifty million-year-old ant, whose existence could change the history of India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Most of us remember the story about that 50 million year old amber that was dug out sometime ago in the rain forest of India which contained all kinds of flora and fauna . Well now based on this find scientist are admitting that something is wrong with their previous understanding of India's biosphere

This ant, preserved in amber 50 million years ago, is evidence that we may have dramatically misunderstood the environmental history of India.

Link to article : io9.com...

Link to the full scientific journal publication below but sadly only the abstract is available for free , for the rest you need to be registered , but maybe some of the more scientific people on ATS have an account

www.pnas.org...

edit on 31/10/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 31/10/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
dramatically misunderstood the environmental history of our planet i say

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84aec4d8a3c0.jpg[/atsimg]
Amazing stuff. Who said being small wasn't a good thing?

This little dude just changed history!

Never forget that when the going gets rough folks!

S&F Great Thread!

Peace

Edit to Add... Ok ok, I added the little eye on the wee thing. I hate eyeless anything. I even hated Barney for a while, but, that's for another thread. So yeah, this is a pic of the ant in question, just pay no attention to the eye.

edit on 31-10-2010 by silo13 because:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

This has actually deepened the mystery of India's early biosphere, because it's unclear how the landmass acquired such diversity in isolation from other landmasses on the planet.

Maybe this area is some sort of an extra-terrestrial terraform-type operation. In which they control the attributes of the biosphere. Right down to the fine-tuning of which species of the animal and insect populations will flourish and in what numbers. Thus giving the area plenty diversity.

Maybe they're more involved with this planet in more ways than we could possibly fathom?

edit on 31-10-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ermm

Cambay amber occurs in lignitic and muddy sediments concentrated by near-shore chenier systems; its chemistry and the anatomy of associated fossil wood indicates a definitive source of Dipterocarpaceae.

Can someone translate this into English for me. I've tried google translate and it does nothing

It's been a long weekend.....

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
if you hit enough Google spots, you can get a good enough detail on this article to understand what they are saying. Here is a nice summary:

The array of unique plant and animal species in India are thought to have evolved during the continent's 100 million year northward journey that ended with the massive collision that formed the Himalayas. Jes Rust and colleagues extracted more than 300 pounds of amber from 50 million-year-old deposits in western India, and identified a distinctive chemical signature that suggested the resin was produced by a globally widespread family of tropical trees. The researchers dissolved the amber with solvents and extracted entire preserved specimens of more than 700 ancient insects, arachnids, and crustaceans from more than 55 families, as well as abundant plant and fungal remains. The insects revealed unexpected geographic connections to contemporary species from Asia and Australia, and to ancient ancestors found as far away as Mexico and Central America. The study offers direct fossil evidence that Indian amber contains an early record of a tropical forest with diverse fauna, and that pre-contact India may not have been as biologically isolated as suspected, according to the authors.

From here

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Ermm

Cambay amber occurs in lignitic and muddy sediments concentrated by near-shore chenier systems; its chemistry and the anatomy of associated fossil wood indicates a definitive source of Dipterocarpaceae.

Can someone translate this into English for me. I've tried google translate and it does nothing

It's been a long weekend.....

basically it was believed that for millions of years India was an island and could not have partaken in the biodiversity of animals and fauna that evolved in other parts of the world .... because it was an island.

But now they discovered animals and plans that evolved at a time when India was supposed to be in thee middle of the Indian Ocean on it's way to collide with Asia.

So the change in history is that either India was very close to other land masses, like Australia, or Africa, or Asia .. or perhaps actually collided with either, or perhaps sea levels where low enough that land masses that existed then don't exist now.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
India was never seperated from the mainland.

This like thousands of other bio evidence supports expanding earth, one can end up convinced before even starting on the geo evidence.

www.expanding-earth.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Yeah, have not seen the expanding earth theory on here in a while, like the hollow earth theory..

Utter nonsense..

It supports the Continental Drift theory.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I do not see how this supports the drift theory? He clearly said the continents are not moving but rather the earth is growing. Also, if we are to except that stars grow and contract, like our lungs, than why not planets? In my novice observation this would support the idea that our Universe is like vortex, growing and retracting. This also reminds me of the ancient Hindu belief in the Yuga's Yuga

Sorry to go off topic a bit, cool thread!
S&F

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ants are an amazing species of insect. Probably one of the smartest bugs I have ever seen. Puts me and numerous others in doubt about ourselves. Ants evolved from wasp 110 to 130 years ago. Which is amazing!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Supports the Drift Theory because India was once attached to Africa, and is currently, to this day, being shoved under Asia.. hence the Himalayas are the fastest growing mountain range.

There is zero.. absolutely no evidence what so ever that the Earth is "growing" .. Earth is a ball of matter, and matter cannot be created from nothing.

Stars on the other hand are made of various gases .. gases can expand and contract based on a number of conditions, whereas a giant rock, ie Earth, cannot.. even assuming the Earth could expand at a rate fast enough to move entire continents that's not the basis of the theory. The basis of the theory is that the planet is actually growing in size and will grow inevitably.

In the case of the OP article the best likelihood is that shortly after completely severing from Africa India hit a landmass that no longer exist.. if you roll out the entire Himalayan mountain range flat plus all the land that is gone through subduction then you would have a fairly decent size of land that would have extended into the Indian Ocean, which would have been the first thing India struck when it hit Asia, the biodiversity would have been the same as Africa/Asia minor and Australasia.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Thill

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84aec4d8a3c0.jpg[/atsimg]
Amazing stuff. Who said being small wasn't a good thing?

This little dude just changed history!

No kidding, finally a real time-traveler on ATS, no cell phones or towers required.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Here's a link to the full text.

www.terratreasures.com...

Haven't read the entire article yet, but downloaded it for later.

top topics

join