It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KRAKATOA Just erupted, they call it Krakatau now so people don't freak out *WHOA*

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Now That IS interesting and new iformation! That even back then Munch sensed an ".. infinite scream passing through nature"...Wow. Sums up a lot of what seems to be happening with the earth these days. I've wondered about how the globe must be feeling but could never be as eloquent as Munch in either words or paint! Nature kicking off reminds us that we have never been in control. Makes you feel pretty humble, eh?
Not to go too off topic, but with the severing of one of earths major arteries in the gulf ,spewing her life blood for months on end, playing with the weather and dark matter, genetically modifying crops, (the list, of course goes on and on... ) it would be no wonder if there folllowed what we mere mortals consider unprecedented natural 'disasters'. If I was being abused the way we abuse earth I would quake, bleed and explode too!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Krakatau has erupted several times the past years so i don't know where you're going with this. And the title is so misleading... Changing the name to not worry people? Where'd you get that bs?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Just to confirm: Anak Krakatau has not "just erupted". It's been having eruptions for years and the only matter of note is that its latest series of eruptions are more frequent than in some previous years.

A couple of details from John Seach, a volcanologist (Note: "Seach", not "Search" as it's frequently but wrongly spelled.):

Here is some data from Mr Seach on eruptions of Krakatau/Anak Krakatau since the "big one" in 1883:

Krakatau Volcano Eruptions

2007-10, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994-95, 1992-93, 1988, 1981, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1975, 1972-73, 1969?, 1965?, 1959-63, 1958-59, 1955, 1953, 1952, 1950, 1949, 1946-47, 1946, 1945, 1944, 1943, 1942, 1941, 1938-40, 1937, 1936, 1935, 1932-34, 1931-32, 1927-30, 1883

Here's a short statement from Mr Seach about this volcano:

Krakatau (Krakatoa) Volcano lies in Sunda Strait between Sumatra and Java Islands. It belongs to Lampung Province. Krakatau Volcanic Complex consists of Rakata, Sertung, Panjang and Anak Krakatau Islands. Anak Krakatau is the currently active centre at the volcano and emerged from the sea in 1930.

and

2010 Eruptions
On 29th October 2010 there were 136 eruptions at the volcano, compared to a recent average of 10 per day. Krakatau volcano was raised to level 2 alert.

The source page for this information is here.

According to this highly respected scientist, there's no problem with using either Krakatau or Anak Krakatau. As he says, the volcano is Krakatau, and Anak Krakatau is the active part within its center. So, take your pick -- but don't be too picky over the name. We all know which volcano we're talking about.

Also, if you check the Smithsonian/USGS weekly volcanic activity report for last week, Krakatau doesn't even rate a mention. Yes, it was active and erupting last week, but not at a rate that concerned officials enough to advise USGS.

Obviously -- as Krakatau wasn't listed -- not all active volcanoes make that list. Just the ones that are of significant interest and/or concern to scientists. We can expect that Krakatau will make the list this week.

So, while it's true that Indonesian authorities are keeping a watch on (Anak) Krakatau, they've been doing so for years. It's not true that this volcano just started erupting; their concern and raised alert level is based on the fact that its number of eruptions has increased well beyond the average, and so it could be a problem if things continue to worsen there. It has had significant increases in activity before, several times, without any catastrophic eruption resulting from it (since 1883, I mean).

But right now, the authorities are probably more concerned about Merapi, because its current eruptions are different in character from most of those in the past century or so (which were "quieter") and more like those in centuries prior, so they fear it might have a major, "explosive" eruption with significant ejecta.

The mass media are often poor sources for good information about volcanic activity and seismic events. (Yeah, okay, and about a lot of other stuff, too.
) In cases like this, they rarely give much historical detail beyond the spectacular or most disastrous, and this can lead people to assume that every time a volcano like Krakatau erupts, it's going to be a major catastrophe. Sure, it sells newspapers and advertising space, but does little to inform the public of the real situation.

I'm not saying that things are not serious in Indonesia. Far from it: right now, the situation is pretty worrying, with eight volcanoes being raised to alert level II status in recent days. But Krakatau is nowhere near as big a concern as Merapi. For now, anyway.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
im not suprised at this

by the way the movie 2012 (the famous one with the blue cover, not the lower budget supernova one), was extremely correct, and i feel a message or warning if you like.

it is indeed what will happen, the earth crust is already shaking hence the earthquakes worldwide, and the volcanic faults around the world are also tremoring as we speak, let us hope though that the super volcanos stay still because if they go.. it is a potential grade 1 mass extinction event

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Karkatau hasn't erupted. The RSOE EDIS website has updated it as such. All it says is:

The Anak Krakatau volcano located along the Sunda Strait produced 117 small eruptions on Thursday. The sound of the eruptions was audible to the Serang district in Banten, which is 40 kilometers away. “Anak Krakatau's activities has been escalating since Oct. 27,” said Sikin, a staff member at the Anak Krakatau monitoring post in Cinangka, Serang, as quoted by SCTV on Friday. According to Sikin, the volcano's status was increased to “be alert,” or two levels before a big eruption, since September. However, the situation is still considered safe for fishermen. “Fishermen must be cautious and try not to get too close to the mountain and maintain a minimum 4-kilometer distance,” Sikin said. Increased activity is also building up at the Galunggung volcano in Tasikmalaya, West Java. Heri Supartono, head of the Galunggung monitoring post, said that the volcano had triggered 34 earthquakes this month. “In September, there were only four volcanic earthquakes, but Galunggung's status is still normal because the water temperature around is still normal,” Heri said. “We monitor it every day and report the result to the Tasikmalaya municipal government,” he added. The 2,167-meter high volcano has erupted three times between 1822 and 1983. Another volcano, Dempo, at Pagaralam, South Sumatra, also showed signs of increased activity. “There have been tens of volcanic or tectonic earthquakes, but the magnitudes are relatively small so they don't affect the normal status of Demo volcano,” Slamet, the head of Dempo monitoring post, told state news agency Antara on Friday.

Shes stirring but she ain't gone boom..............yet!

Peace.
ALS
edit on 31-10-2010 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's no big surprise really, the caps are melting, our cooling system is up the Swanee, the Earth is turning into a boiling kettle gas mark 9.........Something's gotta give.
Is it natural? Planetary Cycle says it is.....just maybe hastened up by human activity but let me make this clear.....10000 year cycle of which we have maybe affected say 100 years or so, a fly on the butt of a cow.
Planetary subduction would be apocalyptic but our species has survived all of the previous events...Pangea for instance. We can't stop anything from happening so just chill, enjoy the ride.......See you all next time round.
One thing to add about TPTB they call us Useless Eaters but then they are Useless Collectors when the kettle blows Subduction and Lava know no boundaries.
Proof of previous long lost Civilisations, imagine Pangea scale event today.........I've said it before and I'll say it again we will be deleted completely. All that will be left are the lucky few starting anew .......another race with amnesia but the same old souls.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Could any or all of such activity be triggered by gravity changes or fluctuations?Is it possible that there is a dark star or other hard to spot planetary body aproaching from the south pole sky?
Pleany of rumours these last few years of nibiru, planet x etc.
i wonder what exactly is the cause of such widespead vulcanism these days............

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
just found this one

what are the main signs of imminent explosion?

how much time in advance would scientists be warned?

just to start learning, if someone could help out i will appreciate

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join