It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you Star posts?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

2 stars to go til 6000 now Lady! I hope this thread lets you make the milestone! Thanks again for your replies

Edit to add: Gratz on reaching 6000 stars! Nice!
edit on 10/30/2010 by agent violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Maybe, maybe not.

I liked the tone in your post! Thanks for responding! I also thought your avatar was different too.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I'm not sure what they mean really. But I starred you because you took the time to reply on my thread. I'll see if I can get the question you asked answered for you.

I do believe the K means Karma, not quite sure what that means or how you accumulate it though.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Its how many you received. Because if it was how many you gave... people would start to look at me funny. I do star sprees constantly for people that are nice or stand out in some way, boosting their counts just for fun.

So yea, it definitely is for those received.

Thanks again for your replies!
edit on 10/30/2010 by agent violet because: typing errors

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am star hoggish, I have only stared a few posts since this star system came out for ATS, I think they suck.. I liked the old WAT's system better..

But when I give them I usually give them to people I agree with or someone who makes me literally ROTFLMAO..

I rarely give flags out also.. but i have been giving them recently because of some of the things that have been posted recently..

I was thinking, I guess that is why I dont have many stars and flags, star and flag karma suck I suppose..

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

because that person has either brought information to my attention that i would not of found otherwise, because they made a good point, because they made me laugh. these are the only things i take into account.

i do not star rudeness, there are many ways to say somebody is full of (fill in word) without ridicule or rudeness.
i will star those who i disagree with as long as they are respectful and make a good point, if somebody changes my opinion then they deserve a star more than somebody who just agrees with my opinion or way of thinking.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I star a post if I agree with it and it reflects what I myself would possibly post. Something to make it stand out and be noticed perhaps.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I usually star for the following reasons:

• If the post makes me chuckle.

• If the post broadens my knowledge, or draws attention to something that I wasn't aware of.

• If the post is thought-provoking and makes me think about a subject or issue in a different way.

• If a poster echoes my views on a subject, but puts across the points in a more clear, concise and eloquent way than I can.

• Also, the odd ''sympathy star'', where a poster's gone to an awful lot of time and effort to put their point across, and no-one else has starred them yet.

I would like to consider that I'm quite even-handed in starring, and I often star those with a different viewpoint to my own, if their post is well-argued and well thought out.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

So basically you star everyone?

Is that what you are saying?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
So basically you star everyone?

Is that what you are saying?

I ain't no ''star whore'' !

The majority of posts do not fall into the categories I listed above, and I was always under the impression that there's a limitation on the number that you can give per day, so I don't hand them out like confetti...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I've never heard of a star-limitation, other than you can only star a particular post once, but the total number of stars given out is unlimited (well, limited to one's time online) I thought.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You know sometimes I forget the stars even exist and not star for a couple weeks.

I always feel bad through and go on a giving spree.

I star for a good post. No matter if it is researched properly, humorous, back on topic or whatever. As long as I enjoy it and it doesn't make me roll my eyes while reading.

When someone has a good point, you should reward them.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I dont know, I am sure of that had carry over for stars I would be star rich..
Just admit you star everyone..

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I didn't know the stars were limitless.

I just assumed there would be some limitation to prevent ''star happy'' people - for whatever reason - from starring just about every post they set eyes on.

I guess those kind of people aren't as common as I imagined !

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I dont know, I am sure of that had carry over for stars I would be star rich..
Just admit you star everyone..

If I could star my own posts, I would.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

When someone with an opposing position to my point of view presents an interesting and believable counter-view though I also star those who present a righteous position on a subject with which I agree with and a few for annoying long sentences offering different reasons for something.

Peace......yak055h

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
The avatar is a painting...

...i love it but its buggin me cuz it looks like the work of this really famous guy and i cant remember his last name... jack somebody... he paints amazingly gorgeous sexy women - love his stuff... i think he's scot... jack, jack, jack... you know what usually happens when brain flatuence takes over?... the answer will wake me up in the middle of the night...

...on topic - why do i star or flag?... cuz i can...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

are you thinking of Jack Vettriano?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

"I didn't know the stars were limitless."

well then explain facelift. what a star to post ratio! and the karma? whatever.

anyways. stars are good they identify good content though there is forum groups that navigate this site but what can you do?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I rarely give out flags too! Stars on the otherhand I throw about like confetti because they don't really mean anything, per se. Whereas flags actually have a purpose I think.

Plus its just nice to star posts sometimes. I never really got into the flagging thing though, just like you.
edit on 10/31/2010 by agent violet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join