It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Audi can travel 375 miles at 55mph on a 6-minute charge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The test they did used a standard Audi A2. The difference here is the battery used only had a 6 minute charge, but managed to travel 375 miles over the course of a seven hours averaging speeds of 55mph. When the test drive was finished the driver, also the CEO of DBM, offered to recharge the phones of the journalists there to witness it because there was still some charge left in the battery.

The experimental drive was called the Munich-Berlin project and seems to have been done out of the company’s own curiosity. DBM wanted to know if its batteries would work for road cars rather than just forklifts, and it certainly looks like they not only work, but excel.

One final piece of good news about this battery is DBM believes it can manufacture it cheaper than the other lithium ion batteries being developed. That means the premium for an electric car using a DBM battery solution should be lower than the competition.

www.geek.com...

Now we just need something that can produce the electricity. Luckily, in the future we should have the system for that too.

Thanks.
edit on 30/10/10 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
And how exactly does most electricity get produced? So even if the car will be electric, then those electricity plants will need more fossil fuels to burn to create more electricity.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
wow! almost seems too good to be true. But if it is,I hope it doesn't get swept under the carpet like i suspect it will.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

And I believe that's why he linked his topic about nuclear power from integral fast reactors.

Good luck trying to convince a city that anything with the word nuclear in it won't explode / turn them into a glowing mutant though

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
375 miles on a 6 mint charge well if the tek in the car is that advanced why not just run it on solar cells?
or is this 6 mint charge = to 20 regular battery's?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
And how exactly does most electricity get produced? So even if the car will be electric, then those electricity plants will need more fossil fuels to burn to create more electricity.

It is not possible to directly power a car with a solar panel, a wind turbine, or a nuclear reactor. Instead, the only ways to power cars cleanly is with biofuel (which is limited, and in some cases can displace crops), an electric grid powered by nuclear and renewables, or synfuels (which often need process heat to create). So, I think the key is to replace the current electric grid with clean infrastructure and plug electric cars into that. And in any case, as bad as coal is, I still think it's better than oil especially because it's mined domestically, rather than oil which must be imported, and you're also avoiding emissions of smog in cities.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Holy Crap! This is quite a break through in many different ways!

For the sake of everyone and how this could benefit everything, (besides big oil) i really hope this makes it.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
what in the world are you going on about?
my god what planet did you wake up on?
on earth THERE ARE CARS that ARE TOTALY RUN by solar power hHave you been asleep during the Australian solar races?
grant you thous cars are funny looking and tend to brake down easy BUT THE FACT is they do run only on solar for many hundreds of miles
making a car run on solar is easy making it good enough to not need any other power is harder making it so it goes 100k miles is even harder but not impossible .
as a matter of fact theres a car being sold out of CA that runs on compressed air that could easily be recharged by SOLAR alone with just a few minor mods.
Dude stick with flaming my spelling as your science knowledge is lacking

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
what in the world are you going on about?
my god what planet did you wake up on?
on earth THERE ARE CARS that ARE TOTALY RUN by solar power hHave you been asleep during the Australian solar races?
grant you thous cars are funny looking and tend to brake down easy BUT THE FACT is they do run only on solar for many hundreds of miles
making a car run on solar is easy making it good enough to not need any other power is harder making it so it goes 100k miles is even harder but not impossible .
as a matter of fact theres a car being sold out of CA that runs on compressed air that could easily be recharged by SOLAR alone with just a few minor mods.
Dude stick with flaming my spelling as your science knowledge is lacking

Solar panels are hideously expensive (as I've mentioned over 9000 times), sunlight is also too sparse to power a car effectively unless you want a car that is around 2 horsepower, slow and cannot carry much. On top of that, they don't work well when there is cloud cover or it's night. So any solar powered car will require batteries and will need to be recharged at the socket which means we are back to the original problem.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
lol solar cells are coming down in price as you already know.
as for clouds they do work just not as well as for night with the air car you still would NOT need any other power sorce other then the solar if you desined the solar correctly.
yes the solar would not work at night EXCEPT when the car is parked in any parking lot with street lights .
As i said stick with flaming people as your science is lacking.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Things are not quite as good as they sound here.

According to this article the 6 minute charge time was achieved by hooking it up to a 345 kV power supply, so if you own your very own power station that might be achievable,

To us normal people though the figures are somewhat less inspiring at 4 hours for 70 miles

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
www.popularmechanics.com...
here is a link for you .
buy the car install solar cells on the roof intsall a compresser under the hood incress the air tank from 360 liters to 500 liters add a presser regulator to kick in the compresser and you will have a car that NEVER needs to be fueled.
the car is 18 k the solar cells would run maybe 3k max ( yoo dont need many the rest of teh mods would run another 3k but hey lets say 10k total just for fun.
now for 28 k YOU NEVER need to pay a DIME for any fuel no pluges no gas no nothing .
and this car will get alest 100k why the gas savings alone will pay for teh next one ,
ps this may not be the same modle car i know of so the tank size could be different but the mod would still work
edit on 30-10-2010 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2010 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I really hope this is true. I am tired of paying through the nose every time I want to get gas. Gas is cheaper in my neck of the woods then the rest of the country and it still ills me. A 6 minute charge and I can travel that far. I wonder how long the charge will stay for not moving. What is the life of the battery? If it can only take so many charges before it starts dying, that would be good info to have.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I just gave you a way to NEVER need gas or a huigh battery all you would have to do is spend 28k so if you want any car to not need gas it could be true if your willing to pay.
who are you kidding anyway ? i bet you dont even own a hybrid

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The re-charging time is the most significant advance really, but many other things need to be known, like lifetime of the battery itself in all conditions, lifetime of the charge, which would include maximum mileage with all services on while at top speed, braking and acceleration/overtaking and so on and all things physical to the driver. Still a step forward though.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Yes but the recharge time is a lie, as I posted before, unless you have a 345Kv power supply with a DC rectifier

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
lol solar cells are coming down in price as you already know.
as for clouds they do work just not as well as for night with the air car you still would NOT need any other power sorce other then the solar if you desined the solar correctly.
yes the solar would not work at night EXCEPT when the car is parked in any parking lot with street lights .
As i said stick with flaming people as your science is lacking.

I don't recall flaming anyone and if I did then please alert the mods to it and get me warned or banned. 'till then you're only writing cheques your mouth can't cash (I love saying that).

Anyways, let's do the math. Solar constant is roughly 1.366 kilowatts per square meter (kW/m²) in space at approximately 1 AU from the sun. Toyota Prius is 4.460 meters in length, and 1.745 meters wide or 7.7827 square meters. The efficiency of solar cells is around 40% for the best experimental cells. Thus the total power for a Toyota Prius is 7.7827 kilowatts or 10 horsepower. Realistically, solar cells are generally around 20% efficiency, and the atmosphere reflects and absorbs a significant portion of the sunlight. Realistically a solar powered car can be a maximum of 5 horsepower which is too low to be used in any practical car - nobody would buy an expensive car that is 5hp. It would also only get that 5 horsepower at high-noon only and you can say goodbye to using your car when there is cloud, it is the evening or night. The solar powered cars are nothing more than impractical stunts.

Using solar panels on top of the car to charge batteries is also another immensely stupid idea for the same reason. The sunlight is too weak to charge the batteries in a timely fashion. Chevy Volt has a 10.4 kW·h battery that is expected to be able to take the Volt 64 kilometers under normal driving conditions. Hence, it wold take two hours of charging at high noon to charge the batteries for less than an hour of driving. Utterly impractical. Using solar panels to compress air is yet again an even stupider idea, because you're introducing losses converting the electrical energy into mechanical energy into stored potential energy.

Or, you could use a solar panel mounted on top of your home or from the grid to charge batteries (which is basically what I was talking about in the first place, duh) or compress air. In any case, that would again require an external source to compress the air, so it's not dissimilar to what I was suggesting in the first place. No you can not use solar panels on the car to compress air, because then you're creating conversion losses converting the electrical energy into mechanical energy into stored potential energy in the compressed gas.

Well, then you're converting electrical energy from street lights into electrical energy and then into mechanical energy then into stored potential energy. That's a very lossy process. Also, street lights are not very intense compared to the sun. You can't get sun-burnt for example, when walking underneath a street lamp. Or are we going to have extremely intense street lamps now?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I know what stock to buy next paycheck!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
o but you just did now didnt you.
I even put in a link and added in most of what you need to know in order to have a car that doesnt need out side power.
But as i pointed out alest your sticking with flaming my writing as well you should .
now why not read the link and study what i said CAN already be done ?
you see you all flame people sooner or later its almost a for going conclusion on this site that you will be flamed.
and my science cant be so you flame what you are better at but good spelling or writing will jot fuel your car now will it.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I think you need to learn the definition of flaming.

Using solar panels on top of the car to charge batteries is also another immensely stupid idea for the same reason. The sunlight is too weak to charge the batteries in a timely fashion. Chevy Volt has a 10.4 kW·h battery that is expected to be able to take the Volt 64 kilometers under normal driving conditions. Hence, it wold take two hours of charging at high noon with no clouds to charge the batteries for less than an hour of driving. Utterly impractical. Using solar panels to compress air is yet again an even stupider idea, because you're introducing losses converting the electrical energy into mechanical energy into stored potential energy, so it's likely you would need even longer to compress the air into the canisters to get a small amount of driving out of.

Also, you might want to check your links, it had absolutely nothing to do with solar panels mounted on cars of any kind, but everything to do with compressed air powered cars. The only way you're going to realistically get a solar powered car is if you have roof-top panels (on your home or from the grid) and use that to charge the batteries in an electric car or compress air.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join