It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COICA made me do it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
That's right. I blame COICA for me having to write this post. It makes me angry that this is even being attempted.

While I'm sure that they have many reasons for doing this, all nefarious as far as I'm concerned, I'll just take the basic one that is at the heart of it.

What Media companies need to realize is this: They don't need to censor the internet, they need to change how they package and sell media. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. There are some people that have the money and enjoy buying their media and going to films to see them on the big screen. These people will do that, no matter what, because they enjoy the visceral experience.

There are other people that only want free media and will steal it any way they can. Usually for the same reason, i.e. the visceral sensation of stealing. The same rush you get shoplifting.

But what about that in between group? What about the people that can barely afford to eat, that have no car, that live too far away from a big city to go to a theater because of no car, and can barely afford the internet? These people don't WANT to steal anything. But they also want to be entertained. They feel bad for having to watch pirated stuff on the net, but at the same time they don't want to simply sit around in their one horse towns and watch the cars rust and the ground crack.

Why don't the companies just offer a package that fits individual tastes. Year long passes for a set fee to those that want to go to the theater. Packages that poor people could afford on the net that allow them to watch all content, including new movies, but with a bunch of commercials. Ideas like these are what they need. Not censorship.

All censorship is going to do is to keep the honest people honest. But at a cost. Most people over the age of thirty that only use the internet for watching videos etc, will cancel it. This may not be a big concern to the media companies, but it should be. If a person wants to steal, they will. If a person doesn't want to steal, and they are presented with an alternative to stealing...the mature will take that alternative.

This idea of COICA is like closing all the banks to prevent bank robbery!

I, in no way, am advocating the pirating or viewing of pirated copyrighted materials, I say to the media companies: Think outside the box. You might just find a new way of making profit.

join