It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OY! Life shouldn't be this complicated on ATS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Rant or Board Business ... or perhaps both?!

Stars. Flags. Points. Karma. Top 50 posters.
WATS index. Applause numbers. Threads started.
Flags again. Points earned. (which we can't really spend .. )

I've got so many freak'n numbers under my avatar that I get lost.
And the math for the forumulas gives me a headache. I gave up trying.

(could be the concussion still kicking in .. could be my sjogrens brain lesions fogging things up ...
could be that this is OVER complicated and I'm not alone in getting lost with it all.)

Strange formulas that change each day or so
(not real formulas)
- stars plus flags divided by points multiplied by the universe
no wait .. it'll be
- stars times applause divided by the universe with points kicked in.
no wait .. this is better
- applause minus warnings plus kiss butt factor and points.
etc etc

Guys .. please .. does it really all have to be this complicated?
ATS Points. Number of posts. Period.
If ya'll REALLY want those flags ... okay ... # of flags too.

Reality ... those with the power to give applause many times have favorite posters or lean certain ways in their thoughts (which is natural and not a bad thing) and applaud those who agree. Not always. But it happens. Applause can be biased. Same with stars. People star posts that they agree with regardless if the post is accurate or well thought out. Stars don't mean anything. Not really. Flags? Lots of great posters work for a living, or are sick a lot, or ______ (insert real life situation) and can't be running around the internet looking for topics to discuss. It's great that people who find them get a 'reward' of flags. But that doesn't make someone a great poster. I understand flags so those in charge can see which threads should be showcased on the front page .. but I don't know if it should go towards counting for 'top posters' or WATS or whatever. Ya' know??

Top 50 posters? I appreciate being #13 and all (unless that's changed since it came out). It's nice to recognize people who have been posting a bunch and have contributed, etc But doesn't the points and post count say that already? If ya want to showcase posters ... that's nice. But I'm thinking it might be hurting feelings for those who have posted a bunch and/or posted well but were left off the 'top 50 list'.

Can we uncomplicate things?
Ditch 'Top 50 posters'. ditch WATS and perhaps stars. ditch counting flags
(keep flags for showcase purposes)
Keep post count, point count, and bring back my pretty bright green lines that we used to have.

(yes, yes .. my ATS age is showing ... I reminisce about the old days.
)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
What does it matter?

Its just Pixels.

Just numbers on a screen on some obscure fringe website full of anonymous posters.

So what does it matter.

Since Im a Mod, Mods cant applaud me. So what? Why would I care if I have more or less applauds?

Its just pixels. And the Flags afford us a little orientation and sorting-out. I dont want to have to read hundreds of threads a day before knowing which the good ones are.
edit on 30-10-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Can we uncomplicate things?

Yes, we can. Simply ignore it all.

Easy, isn't it

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I figured I'd tick off a few people with this.
I'm not complaining. I'm not whining.
I'm suggesting. That's what this forum is for, right?

I'm trying to figure it all out. I just can't.

Seems easier the old way ... that's all.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Why would I care if I have more or less applauds?

Actually, i don't care how many applauds or stars or wats or ________ I get.
It doesn't change what I think or say or feel at all.
It all just seems over complicated is all.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I dont understand what the K means and I dont understand how WATS is put together but I think it all looks kind of neat.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Since Im a Mod, Mods cant applaud me. So what? Why would I care if I have more or less applauds?

Well out of all of the bells and whistles, I find the applause the most rewarding. It's not "out there" for anyone to see on your post's and seems a little more personal.

Right or wrong, they make me feel good, like a pat on the back, and every now and again, I find myself alerting a post that I think that deserves an applause.

Maybe I should start "applauding" Mod's posts that I think deserve it through the U2u function.

after all, Mod's are people too aren't they?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I agree that receiving applauds is a nice feeling. A feeling someone reads and cares.

But NOT receiving them shouldnt be a cause for concern, imo.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I dont understand what the K means and I dont understand how WATS is put together but I think it all looks kind of neat.

The Big K is a discount outlet store here in the United States that predated Wal-Mart and was originally associated with Kresgies Department Store.

However they could not keep pace with Wal-Mart and made the horrible marketing mistake of teaming up with Martha Stewart who ended up going to jail for insider trading, badly tarnishing the branding that they had built up around her.

K is for K-Mart which should never be confused with Wal-Mart!

WATS was put together in South Los Angeles just south of LAX, it's a largely black and poor community that has seen its share of violence and riots over the years such as the famous WATS riots.

Yet it is a rich and vibrant community with a lot of contemporary and unusual art, and it's long time Congressional Representative during the 60's and 70's helped engineer many of Kennedy's community service policies that are still a big part of the U.S. Government today.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thanks for setting the record straight on that

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bab21519847.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 10/30/2010 by iamsupermanv2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/30/2010 by iamsupermanv2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/30/2010 by iamsupermanv2 because: I'm bad at adding photos...kinda takes the funny out now..

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by tribewilder

I agree that receiving applauds is a nice feeling. A feeling someone reads and cares.

But NOT receiving them shouldnt be a cause for concern, imo.

Yes I agree. But (at least in my case), since applause is something that only comes along once in a blue moon, one forgets they even exist and when you receive one, well, it just makes one feel all warm and fuzzy.

The giving of flags and stars is ok to a point, but sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they give them.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just one question. What is this applause that I am always hearing about? How do you applaud someone? Is this the same as starring or flagging someone? Any info would be be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
Maybe I should start "applauding" Mod's posts that I think deserve it through the U2u function.

I kinda did that. I hit the 'alert' button and sent a message back behind the curtain to mod-land requesting that 'they' give 12m8keall2c (our resident computer god) some extra applause or kuddos. I was having severe computer problems and my husband was on a business trip. He called me at home and spent 45 minutes with me going over the computer and resolving my problems.

12m8keal2c
What a guy.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by peewee1263
How do you applaud someone?

In the old days .. like the ones I was pining away for in the opening post .. you could have 3 applause type awards that you could give each month. You gave them to who ever you wished when you saw an outstanding post. Nowadays it's just the mods that have them. I have no idea how many they have each month to give away ... or if they have an unlimited amount.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I've seen the formulas but I've never really sat down to do the math to see if the results match.
Why bother? ...some things will change in a few weeks any way.

Too be honest, I don't even know how points I have since I check them every so often.
Remember, points are not evil, it's the love of points that is evil.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

12m8keal2c
What a guy.

I'm not brown-nosing here, but I myself have noticed on quite a few occasions 12m8keal2c show a genuine desire to help members. He's a diamond!

Regarding all the stats and stuff, I always thought it would be fun if there were an army style ranking system. A member could start off as a 'private' and work his way through the ranks to 'general'. Promotions and demotions could be dished out accordingly by the moderators. I know it will never happen but if it did I'd probably be a 'corporal' by now and I could go off on a power trip.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There's no formula. Those are arbitrary numbers that make the site look like geniuses put it all together. It's a social engineering campaign meant to dupe people into believing their opinions count all the while they are being refered to the CIA.

That's what I signed up for anyway..

See you all at the incinerator...I'll be the guy in black.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by FlyersFan

There's no formula. Those are arbitrary numbers that make the site look like geniuses put it all together. It's a social engineering campaign meant to dupe people into believing their opinions count all the while they are being refered to the CIA.

That's what I signed up for anyway..

See you all at the incinerator...I'll be the guy in black.

Genius! But I was never fooled for a second. While you were reporting me to the CIA, I was reporting you to Star Command. To infinity and beyond yo.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownSheep

I like you...

You'll be the first at the incinerator line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join