It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats in the sky at the moment?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I'm stood outside my front door and looking due SW. I'm in NE Ohio. There is something odd (to me) in the sky. It looks like a star, however it is changing colours from red, orange, yellow, green and back to red. Its not moving and its not getting any bigger or smaller.

I have a digital camera with me, but when i zoom in, my hands aren't steady enough to get a decent shot, and i dont have a tripod. I know, i know, pics or it didn't happen. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the area who might be still up, thats able to look out and make sure its not just a star thats acting sort of funky. I can try and take a video if someone wants to look, but its not going to be steady. I'll zoom out, and then zoom in so you can see what i'm talking about. If anyone is interested.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by shaolin_dragon

Superman?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You are seeing Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. When it is low on the horizon it can scintillate wildly.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
lol!! funny!! I just went and tried to get a video with my digital camera, but on video mode, i cant get enough of a zoom. Still shots zoom in okay. but very blurry. Hoping someone in the area is out or is still up and has a better camera than mine. Its probably just a star. Can stars appear to change colours as you look at them?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You are seeing Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. When it is low on the horizon it can scintillate wildly.

Thanks Phage.. You nailed it. Oh well, case closed!! LOL!!

and i was hoping it was something extraordinary.

Now i can go to bed!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumanMeatsuit

Superman?

Could be! Or maybe its the God Warrior!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Jupiter. ...about 25º up to the WSW

T.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

another et thread somethings up unfortunately I am north of you and I have complete cloud cover sorry I cant help you

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaolin_dragon
Can stars appear to change colours as you look at them?

Yes. It's called "twinkling". There's a old poem about that. Perhaps you have heard it?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Definetly Sirius, my wife asked me the same question earlier in the evening.

Must be especially beautiful tonight.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

From Cleveland, Sirius is to the East and only 13º above the horizon. The OP said he was looking SW.

T.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Dude, that &^%t is darksided!

T.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Can stars appear to change colours as you look at them?

Yes. It's called "twinkling". There's a old poem about that. Perhaps you have heard it?

LOL!! yeah, i do..i sing it with my 4 yr old every day!! although mine involves a bat instead along with teatrays...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I had to ask, is it possible for more than one, lets say 3 at a time twinkling and changing color? I see that allll the time where I live sometimes in a shape, but they dont move.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

It's actually called scintillation and is caused by an objects light passing through the turbulence of the Earths atmosphere.

T.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Triangulum
reply to post by Phage

From Cleveland, Sirius is to the East and only 13º above the horizon. The OP said he was looking SW.

T.

I'm sorry..i apologize. I got my easts and wests mixed up. When facing out, it is in fact SE..NOT SW as I first inferred.

Sorry

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Alethea

It's actually called scintillation and is caused by an objects light passing through the turbulence of the Earths atmosphere.

T.

Coh, try getting your kids to sing that !!

Scintillating scintillating little star.... Just doesn't seem possible!! Oo

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Thanks Phage.. You nailed it. Oh well, case closed!! LOL!!

and i was hoping it was something extraordinary.

Now i can go to bed!

So no superman in the skies tonight then.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Sirius it is then. Just above Sirius is the constellation of Orion the Hunter. The three stars in a line are his belt. Sirius is also called the Dog Star because it is the brightest star in the constellation of Canis Major. ...Orions hunting dog.

T.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Sirius it is then. Just above Sirius is the constellation of Orion the Hunter. The three stars in a line are his belt. Sirius is also called the Dog Star because it is the brightest star in the constellation of Canis Major. ...Orions hunting dog.

T.

Thats it. I knew about Orions belt, but wasn't sure where abouts it was when i looked up. Not being of astrological inclinations and with there being a lots of street lights around, i cant see a whole lot. But if I go round to the back of the house, and look up, sure enough..theres Orions Belt

And I wish it was superman, as I have a pocket full of Kryptonite to give him!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join