It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post your favorite quotes from famous leaders and thinkers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
From "The Bard" of rock n roll (Bob Seger)

Once inside a woman's heart,
A man must keep his head.
Heaven opens up the door,
Where angels fear to tread.

--Shame on the Moon---

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
“Civilizations proceed from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage” – Arnold Toynbee

“Dependency is terrible only for those who live in the illusion of self-sufficiency and independence.” - Gerda Lerner

“A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depends on the labor of other [people], living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. I am strongly drawn to the simple life and am often oppressed by the feeling that I am engrossing an unnecessary amount of the labor of my fellow [people]. I regard class differences as contrary to justice and, in the last resort, based on force. I also consider that plain living is good for everybody, physically and mentally.” – Albert Einstein

"Those who burns books, will soon burn people." --Heinrich Heine

"'Freedom for the pike is death for the minnows' the liberty of some must depend on the restraint of others". – Isaiah Berlin

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry. There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors." – J. Robert Oppenheimer

"War is a continuation of politics by other means." - Von Clausewitz

"Politics is a continuation of economics by other means." – Michael Ruppert

"In my experience, it is far more important to have a charter of human duties." - Gandhi when asked to help draw up a charter of human rights.

"Strength of numbers is the delight of the timid. The valiant in spirit glory in fighting alone." - Mahatma Gandhi

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image to be servants of their human interests." - George Santanyana

"What lives that does not live from the death of something else?" - V.L. Compton

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position, but certainty is an absurd position." - Voltaire

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." - Plato

“Our aim in founding the State was not the disproportionate happiness of any one
class, but the greatest happiness of the whole…Suppose that we were painting a statue, and some one came up to us and said, Why do you not put the most beautiful colours on the most
beautiful parts of the body--the eyes ought to be purple, but you have
made them black--to him we might fairly answer, Sir, you would not
surely have us beautify the eyes to such a degree that they are no
longer eyes; consider rather whether, by giving this and the other
features their due proportion, we make the whole beautiful. And so I
say to you, do not compel us to assign to the guardians a sort of
happiness which will make them anything but guardians; for we too can
clothe our husbandmen in royal apparel, and set crowns of gold on their
heads, and bid them till the ground as much as they like, and no more.” – Plato, The Republic

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." - W. H. Aude

“A crowd of grade-three thinkers, all shouting the same thing, all warming their hands at the fire of their own prejudices, will not thank you for pointing out the contradictions in their beliefs. Man is a gregarious animal, and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the same way on the side of a hill.” - William Golding

"When you keep thinking about sense-objects, attachment comes. Attachment breeds desire, the lust of possession which, when thwarted, burns to anger. Anger clouds the judgment and robs you of the power to learn from past mistakes. Lost is the discriminate faculty, and your life is utter waste...

They are forever free who have broken out of the ego-cage of I and mine to be united with the Lord of Love. This is the supreme state. Attain thou this and pass from death to immortality." -- The Bhagavad Gita

"What is often disdained as romantic idealism, as wishful thinking, is justified if it prompts action to fulfill those wishes, to bring to life those ideals." - Howard Zinn

"[The guardians of traditional education] prefer that education simply prepare the new generation to take its proper place in the old order, not to question that order." - Howard Zinn

"Those special people who speak out in such a way as to shake up not only the self-assurance of their enemies, but the complacency of their friends, are precious catalysts for change." - Howard Zinn

"How wise Dickens was to make readers feel poverty and cruelty through the fate of children who had not reached the age where the righteous and comfortable classes could accuse them of being responsible for their own misery." - Howard Zinn

"We are only truly happy when daydreaming about future happiness." - Blaise Pascal

"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -- Bill Vaughan

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." - Oscar Wilde

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” – Robert A. Heinlein

"We won't have to use bombs or violence; we will out populate them as Allah wishes." – Anonymous European Muslim

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."-Buddha

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."-Buddha

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I always liked this one from Benjamin Disraeli:

"Change is inevitable. Change is constant."

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
"There is no path to peace. Peace is the path." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Die erste und letzte Sache, die vom Genie erfordert wird, ist die Liebe der Wahrheit." "The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." -- Alice Morse Earle

"Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back."-- Al Bundy

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
i actually made something that kind of is an amalgamation of quotes and also points of view from some individuals who heavily influenced the path of my life and its evolution.....

Vistas @ Vimeo

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
"The scientists from Franklin to Morse were clear thinkers and did not produce erroneous theories. The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane. Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."

-Nikola Tesla

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Quotes that have really stuck with me are :
“All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom.”-Albert Einstein

"Why not let people differ about their answers to the great mysteries of the Universe? Let each seek one's own way to the highest, to one's own sense of supreme loyalty in life, one's ideal of life. Let each philosophy, each world-view bring forth its truth and beauty to a larger perspective, that people may grow in vision, stature and dedication."
— Algernon Blackwood

"You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn't flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is being there."~ Richard Bach

And my favorite:
“I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?”-Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Wow , in looking at my quotes , I could be crowned "queen hippie" .....just an afterthought.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have. ------Abraham Lincoln

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
www.notable-quotes.com...

At a time, when our lordly masters in Great Britain (( Leaders in the White House and State and Local Governments)) will be satisfied with nothing less than the deprivation of American freedom, it seems highly necessary that something should be done to avert the stroke, and maintain the liberty, which we have derived from our ancestors. But the manner of doing it, to answer the purpose effectually, is the point in question. That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment, to use arms in defence of so valuable a blessing, on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion. Yet arms, I would beg leave to add, should be the last resource, the dernier resort. Addresses to the throne, and remonstrances to Parliament, we have already, it is said, proved the inefficacy of. How far, then, their attention to our rights and privileges is to be awakened or alarmed, by starving their trade and manufacturers, remains to be tried.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to George Mason, Apr. 5, 1769

To contract new debts is not the way to pay old ones.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to James Welch, Apr. 7, 1799

Refrain from drink which is the source of all evil--and the ruin of half the workmen in this Country.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Thomas Green, Mar. 31, 1789

An aching head and trembling limbs, which are the inevitable effects of drinking, disincline the hands from work.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Thomas Green, Mar. 31, 1789

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military, supplies.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, speech to Congress, Jan. 8, 1790

If the minority, and a small one too, is suffered to dictate to the majority, after measures have undergone the most solemn discussions by the representatives of the people, and their will through this medium is enacted into a law, there can be no security for life, liberty, or property; nor, if the laws are not to govern, can any man know how to conduct himself in safety.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Major-General Daniel Morgan

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
"As political and economic freedom diminishes, sexual freedom tends correspondingly to increase. And the dictator will do well to encourage that freedom...it will help to reconcile his subjects to the servitude which is their fate." — Aldous Huxley

Found here: www.redicecreations.com...

While the above is not my favorite quote, it is never the less very thought provoking.

My favorite quote is: United We Stand, Divided We Fall. - Aesop Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC) ...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
"Conspiracy theories are an attempt to grasp the big picture of history. We believe that many of the major world events that are shaping destinies occur because somebody or somebodies have planned them that way", mused conservative author Gary Allen. "If we were dealing with mere incompetence, our leaders should occasionally make a mistake in our favor. We are not really dealing with coincidence or stupidity, but with planning and brilliance." Quote by Gary Allen found in Jim Marr's book, "Rule by Secrecy".

Another good book anyone that one can purchase second hand, very cheaply (under $7.00).

I got mine on ebay but used copies can also be found on Amazon.com

Free ebook can be found here: search.4shared.com...

edit on 4-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: Jim Marr's book is Rule by Secrecy not Ruled

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mindovermatter88

A lot of good ones there..................It appears I'm not the only one that collects quotes.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

of course some of my favorites are listed on my signature... but others...

Raoul Duke - There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Raoul Duke - One of the things you learn from years of dealing with drug people, is that you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.

Raoul Duke - You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join