It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suing a 4y/o really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
In THIS newspaper article it is talking about how a 4 year old ran into an elderly woman causing her serious injuries. I believe that the mother should defiantly be held accountable since she should of been watching her child. However, when a judge gives the OK to sue a 4 year old, it is complete insanity. A 4 year old? Yes she should of known to be careful and not run into someone, but how can an adult come themselves an...adult.when they not only wan to sue the parents but the child? Sorry if it sounds like a rant, but I can not stand this kind of stupidity towards children.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

noting that she was three months shy of turning 5 when Ms. Menagh was struck, and thus old enough to be sued.

Yikes.

You gotta be a real d-bag if you are suing a child.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In my area, there was a 6 year old boy that accidentally ran into a wealthy tourist while skiing in the mountains. The kid got sued and his family has been through hell.

I don't understand the human race.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but the one who thinks that parents are watching kids every single second as if they're a second skin, has never had any, and parents should not be held responsible nor children for the ordinary moments and accidents of lives, its apart of being human. And acts of God therefore, though I'm not religious. Accidents you should be held accountable are doing obvious things like shooting in the woods at movement thinking its a bear, but it was a child, or some negligence.

Kids are kids and no one is there 100%, as its not possible or even expected.

All kids rush at things, I have 5 boys. They've had many bloopers in life. No one sues at the drop of a pin in Canada, or has unreasonable expectations of families.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I thought minors were protected from contracts and litigation?

This is utter BS!!!

Four year old children are just learning to read for crying out loud. I really want to rant about this, but I just can't. This one's pushed me over the edge.

I'm going to go find a hole to crawl in. Let me know when people either destroy each other or find their common senses. I loath this species I have had the misfortune of being born into.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

I know it pushed me over the edge to. It is very hard resisting the urge to curse while writing. I am not usually one to be shocked about the things humans are capable of by this is definitely disappointing.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

First off, You are a brave woman for having five boys! You must have the patience of a saint. Secondly, accidents do happen and this "grownups" suing a 4 y/o ..oh wait she were 3 months from turning 5.... are monsters..may be I should move to Canada, well if there is a part of Canada that isn't cold.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think in New York state, but don't hold me to this, there is a 1,000 dollar statuary cap, on all law suits against minors... but If I am wrong about that, it's just a terrible story... Kid's don't pay attention, but they shouldn't be sued nor there parents for making a mistake.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The ruling by the judge, Justice Paul Wooten of State Supreme Court in Manhattan, did not find that the girl was liable, but merely permitted a lawsuit brought against her, another boy and their parents to move forward.

At some point in the race, they struck an 87-year-old woman named Claire Menagh, who was walking in front of the building and, according to the complaint, was “seriously and severely injured,” suffering a hip fracture that required surgery. She died three months later of unrelated causes.

Her estate sued the children and their mothers, claiming they had acted negligently during the accident.

...emphasis mine...

...naming the kids in the suit is just a technicality that the law provides for (since 1928)... its not like the kids will go to prison or be branded an "elder abuser" or have any future earnings tapped... parents DO have to take financial responsibility for any damages their kids cause... maybe if the parents had offered to pay the elderly lady's hospital bills, this might not have gone to court...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...maybe if the parents had offered to pay the elderly lady's hospital bills, this might not have gone to court...

The 87 year old lady died 3 months later of "unrelated causes," obviously she was on her last legs anyway, when you are that fragile, it is your own fault for venturing outside into the real world, where any ordinary event could break your hip. Act of God, case closed, should have been dismissed at the cost of those suing, as far I'm concerned.
edit on 31-10-2010 by Ian the Christian because: shortened quote

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian the Christian
The 87 year old lady died 3 months later of "unrelated causes,"

...lets pretend you're 30 years old and someone puts you in the hospital with severe injuries - and - they refuse to help pay your hospital bills... you file a suit to recover your losses but you die suddenly 3 months later from a brain aneurysm that has nothing to do with the injuries you were previously hospitalized for... the executor of your estate decides to continue with the lawsuit after your death...

...is the lawsuit frivalous simply because you died three months after the wreck from unrelated causes?...

obviously she was on her last legs anyway, when you are that fragile, it is your own fault for venturing outside into the real world, where any ordinary event could break your hip.

...iow, any law suit filed by an elderly person should be dismissed because they're on their "last legs anyway" and it was their fault for "venturing outside into the real world" because they MIGHT break a hip...

...wow, cant get much colder than that...

Act of God, case closed, should have been dismissed at the cost of those suing, as far I'm concerned.

...zero empathy - just blame it on your god - case closed... thats monsterous...

top topics

join