It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Moratorium on Geoengineering.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
www.etcgroup.org...

Geoengineering Moratorium at UN Ministerial in Japan
Risky Climate Techno-fixes Blocked

NAGOYA, Japan – In a landmark consensus decision, the 193-member UN Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) will close its tenth biennial meeting with a de facto moratorium on geoengineering projects and experiments. “Any private or public experimentation or adventurism intended to manipulate the planetary thermostat will be in violation of this carefully crafted UN consensus,” stated Silvia Ribeiro, Latin American Director of ETC Group.

This looks like a real positive step forward on this issue.

We must never think that the letters we write, emails we send, phone calls we make regarding issues of concern have no impact - although not immediately apparent, I still think we can have some influence...or maybe I choose to believe so.

Chemtrails have been going on for years. Only fairly recently was there an outcry against them. Perhaps that outcry did have an effect.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah I understand your enthusiasm of this, but I'm a skeptical sheep. I look at this, and any law or moratorium that is passed, like I do locks. They are only there to keep honest people, and countries in this case, honest.

I mean you have to look at it from a government standpoint. If a technology comes out that could potentially harm the earth and it's inhabitants, then you have to explore it even in secret. It's kind of like playing poker. You have to know HOW to cheat in order to know when you are being cheated. It doesn't mean that you are going to cheat. It just means that you have to know how to do it to spot it.

While I didn't agree with George Bush Jr. I did agree with one of the things that he said during his administration, and that is that sometimes you need one type of evil to combat a worse evil. I mean let's face it, to protect your country or society as a whole, it sometimes means that a few innocents are going to have to get hurt.

I didn't understand this concept until a few years ago when I was playing a tom clancy game. I could only kill one innocent civilian and still complete the mission. Finally it came to a point where if I didn't kill the civilian, then he yelled for the guards, my mission was blown and thus, in the game, a greater evil prevailed. Simple way to understand "collateral damage" but I finally got it. Sometimes in order for the government and military to protect us, they must do the very things that they make illegal for the rest of the country.

So basically I'm saying that publicly this is good. But all countries will pursue a technology that they must understand in order to prevent or control a possible bad development that will affect their country. IMHO.

new topics

join