It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-INDIVIDUALS: Othman al Amri Takes Advantage of Saudi Amnesty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A clear sign that the Saudi amnesty offer has a chance of working was demonstated by the surrender of Othman al-Amri one of the top 26 militants wanted by the Saudi authorities. The Saudi government last week offered amnesty for one month to those that turn themselves in however familys that had crimes committed against them will still be able to press charges to those that surrender.

Reuters

RIYADH, June 28 (Reuters) - Senior Saudi militant Othman al-Amri surrendered to authorities early on Monday after the kingdom announced a one-month amnesty for suspects, one of his cousins said.

Amri, one of 26 top militant suspects listed in December by Saudi Arabia, gave himself up early on Monday in the southerly Asir province, said the cousin, who declined to be named.

A Saudi security source said Amri, who had fought in Afghanistan, was close to Saaban al-Shihri, a militant who turned himself in last week. Shihri was not on the list of 26 suspects.

Interior Minister Prince Nayef ibn Abdulaziz said, "After the one-month deadline we will hit them harder"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Having one of the 26 named militants turn themselves in along with another that was a militant not named on the list seems to offer the hope of progress in countering terror based in Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Phoenix]

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I thought one of the purposes of fighting was to die in the name of allah.

Why would he be willing to rot in jail?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupaFly
I thought one of the purposes of fighting was to die in the name of allah.

Why would he be willing to rot in jail?

No, No thats for the uneducated recruits that swallow that bile, the educated ones are a little smarter than that.

As far as rotting in jail is concerned, it depends on wether or not someone comes forward with a criminal charge - would you come forward to charge him with the rest of his buddies running loose?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You would think then that the "bile swallowers" would see that he's not stupid and follow in his footsteps.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Supafly, that is the hope and is also why I view the surrender of these two militants as a favorable development. If the Saudi government plays their cards right more will follow.

I also have to expect the brethern will have to make more attacks in an attempt to show up the government.

top topics

join