It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lipstick, Heels, Makeup, Et al. - Why Are They Considered Girlish?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
some topic for "above top secret".

anyway..
I can't stand any of it,
makeup, painted nails, lipstick, everything that goes with it...
completely turns me off.

If there is a girl I really really 'like'.. [am attracted to]
who looks "normal" when i meet her. ( ie, not painted up like a clown)..
and I see her again, and she is all covered in make up, nail polish, lipstick, etc etc..
My 'like' for her goes away and I could not get "turned on" in the least. . lol

For fakes sake, give up the nasty fakeness. lol
Save that crap for the circus.
It is absolutely gross I think.

edit on 31-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

People do things they do not need to do all the time. I posit if a man leaves his home in anything other than goodwill rags, or a potato sack, he is only trying to impress women, or attract a mate. And he must be super insecure and wear that cologne for self esteem reasons. No one ever wants to do anything for themselves, it is against human nature and all.

Who do I have to impress? Do you know my life? I am a caregiver and rarely leave my home.

I love make up, have ever since I was a kid, with those barbie heads. No wonder I went to beauty school, huh? I love doing other people's hair and make up too.

I never wear heels, and I wear dresses. I dont shave my body hair.

All personal preferences.

I am 41 yrs old, the days of me preening to impress anyone much less a MAN are far over. I am into the best stage of my life right now, it is called the crone stage. I love it.

And I love make up.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

If its so gross dont wear it.

Maybe this is why girls love make up and men dont, men are grossed out by make up!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by vaevictis

Women like to beautify themselves with things that attract mens attention. We can see their pretty lips but when they gots the lipstick on it pulls our attention to their lips faster. Women wear heels mm mm mm and when you catch them walking in them and see the beautiful muscle structure displayed in their legs calf muscles all the way up its attractive. Make up is just designed to enhance their natural beauty to attract their opposite sex and it works well except I dont like when the ladies put a massive amount of make up on their faces because it makes them look too synthetic. This femal behavior is more less associated with the femals having more free time why the males were out gathering and hunting. Taking interest in things related like weapons, heavy gear, big shoes and boots to traverse terrain. NO need for make up because it would only wear off in the field. Lipstick and make up may scare their game ect. So basically men DONT...
hi ladies

edit on 10/29/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

so presumably by this criteria if men wear lipstick highheels and dresses it's to make themselves attractive to other men! I get it! Women wear this to attract men Men use it attract men

does anyone ever wonder what attracts women?
edit on 10/31/2010 by MrsBlonde because: zigged when I shoulda zagged

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Ok, here goes.

I am an average guy. I refuse to shave and I wear my band shirts/slacks all the time. I dress for comfort, not to impress people.

Ironically, it's always a woman that points out that I should shave, etc. Why bother? I like my facial hair and it's the only hair I got on my face that isn't thinning. Also, it's women (usually my mom) that give me cologne for christmas, though I refuse to wear it because a. I'm allergic to most scents and b. I consider it an insult/covert way of complaining about my body odor (which is rarely a problem being that I shower every single day).

So while it may seem innocent (since it's my mom doing it), it goes to show that women can pressure a man into looking nice, etc.

edit on 31-10-2010 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2010 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I have only read your opening post...
Real men wouldn't be caught dead in either a dress,heels
or make-up.Their significant other is suppose to wear those
things plus stockings,garters and thongs.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Some of those things were Created Specifically for Women Thousands of Years Ago . To answer your question , you must do some Research into their Historical Origins .
edit on 31-10-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by vaevictis
Why are things such as makeup, heels, dresses, etc. perceived as girlish/womanly/etc. ? Why are men basically indoctrinated to stay away from the above? It appears to be a superficial issue, but is it really?

...its a conspiracy!...

...it may not have started that way but that hardly matters now... generations of modern day females and males have been taught (via hollyweird) that natural is not appealing and that fake is marvelous...

...the conspiracy is designed to lower self-esteem, so that you will be a good little robot whose mind changes whenever someone whistles the correct note...

...no one has yet mentioned the modern BRA (spit)... howard hughes (spit) thank you so much (you spaz) for popularizing that masochistic contraption...

...the story goes, one of jane russell's boobs wasnt quite perky enough to suit howie during the filming of a movie, so he had the costume maker (i used to know her name) create a boulder holder for pretty jane... like a plague, all the sudden every female wanted a boulder holder too, even those that just had pebbles...

...its an outright lie that REAL men dont wear makeup... every single man on tv (including the thumpin preachers, the whackers on fox and even [gasp] sports announcers) wears makeup every day that they work - and - i wouldnt be surprised to find out that some of them even wear it at home cuz all that smashed greasy guts stuff feels SO good when it blocks their pores...

...sounds like i'm anti-makeup, huh?... i'm not really... i wore some when i was young but never very much...

...the males who were influential in my upbringing said that every man's worst fear was going to bed with a beauty and then waking up to a nightmare - and - that real men want real women, not fakes ones...

...must have some truth to it since theres tons of songs about that... willie nelson sings one that says "i aint never gone to bed with an ugly woman but i've woke up to a few"... of course, thats about him getting too drunk to know the difference, lol - but - theres an old song that tells about a man watching the woman take off her wig, take out her fake eye, then take off her fake leg...

...should i even mention cosmetic surgery?... men do it too...

...the metrosexual man is fashionable now... i dont care, just like i didnt care when the goth fad took over and guys started painting their finger nails black... they can do what they want but i'm gonna laugh at em (behind their back, of course, cuz i do have some manners)... i would never date a metrosexual cuz persnickety is not attractive and, besides, if we had a flat tire they wouldnt know how to change it or they'd be afraid they'd mess up their manicure...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
really not important..

Heels were invented to make women taller (as they are shorter than men on average) and to accent the leg muscles. These things are thought to be arousing to men.

Men don't want to wear heels because they are uncomfortable and cause leg pain and foot issues over time.

The more important question is, why do women continue to wear them? The answer is exactly the same...

Make up? Same deal..

Lipstick? Same deal.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
..... More deep thoughts, by Jack Handey.

I would think the answer is quite obvious, .... girls wear those things, men dont. When girls consistently wear those items it makes them girly dont you think ??

I miss the old ATS.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
Men don't want to wear heels because they are uncomfortable and cause leg pain and foot issues over time.

...men wear heels... cowboy boots have a big fat slanted heel to catch the stirrup...

...spanish boots are a bit more, uh, uh, uh, tailored but they still have stacked heels...

...the beatles wore those cut-off at the ankle boots that had stacked heels... it was "all the rage in paris" at the time and, i swear, i still see that kind of manly footwear frequently...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
True, but not the same as the heels that are considered "girly".

I have a pair of Italian Leather dress shoes that have a raised heel.

It makes me a tiny bit taller and gives my stance a more imposing look. However these are not as dramatic as what men consider heels to be.

When a guy thinks heels he thinks of the sexy, powerful, seductive, woman in charge type of heels. Just saying.

We don't count the 3rd grade teachers bland, 1 inch, faux leather, grandma shoes as heels. Although in her defense, she's certainly more comfortable!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

some topic for "above top secret"

Actually it's an extremely important topic and perfect for ATS.
Watch the documentary (I posted the link and the video earlier) and you'll see what I mean.
The use of advertising and making girls 'girly' had and still has an exptreme impact on the world as a whole.
Incredible stuff.
Some 'genius' told the world, 'If you buy this and dress in it you will feel better' - and we've only gone down hill from then.

peace

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Lipstick, Heels, Makeup, Et al. - Why Are They Considered Girlish?,

Because girls wear them?
Because girls wear them alot?
Because girls and women, my mother and my sisters and daughters and wife wear them?
Exclusively they wear them in my family, actually pretty much everywhere I look, I only see females using the products.

Youre asking though, why dont men wear them?
I'm sure somewhere right now, some man is completely decked out and all made up.
I'm also pretty sure he plans on staying indoors alone OR with a like minded tinkerbell,
or he's standing on the corner of H&V making that final sales pitch of the night.

He will not be leading the Monday morning meeting at the conference table, nor will he be carrying the bundle of shingles up onto the roof, or driving the cement truck.

Good question though.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Aww, thats mean to give an allerfic person cologne!! Anyway, I think you sound wonderful, dont ever let a female dictate your style, a real woman will love you for exactly who you are. Maybe that is why I don't bother with the dating. People are always so quick to jump in and change one another, and I have no intention on doing so, no matter who wants me to. Why should we?

Thanks for sharing a male perspective.

Personally, the hairier a man the sexier!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Hardly a topic for ATS? It's in the social issues category and I do see it as just that. If I lived all alone in the middle of nowhere, with no one to see me, I can guarantee that I wouldn't wear makeup. That makes it a social issue. Sadly.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I have put on makeup even when not going out of the house, just because I feel like it. Maybe we do it out of habit too.
edit on 1-11-2010 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I agree, I like a hairy man also. And to what the sword said about smell, I like a natural man smell too as long as it's not super overwhelming like they haven't showered in a very long time.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I need a bra. My breasts get sore when I don't wear one. I do wish I didn't have to, but it's not vanity that makes me wear them. So it's not totally a male ideal that makes women wear them, although in a lot of cases I suspect it is the reason. That's an interesting story about Howard Hughes, but the bra goes back earlier, inventors.about.com...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Ellie Sagan because: grammar

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It is a matter of perception, sexual perception.
It has been a great analysis reading all of your posts, we can agree on some points, one being that men get aroused, and that men design and sell some of the kinkier stuff, other could be that we are conditioned since birth to be either one thing or the other, everything has to be something, we exist and interpret life through the stuff that we own that end up possessing us, we define sexual gender and roles based on who is wearing the lace g string and ultra high platforms.

We have been led to believe that things are one way or another, when in fact the variations are endless, a mix and match of thousands of human generations intermingling and interbreeding until our time to do it all over again.

Think about it, those things are costumes, just like halloween ones, but for everyday living.
We are children all of our lives, being an adult is just forgetting that fact, we get aroused and happy with new toys be them electrical or simply ideological fetishes in a corporeal form.
Women have to wear costumes to be more "girly" I'd be pissed off as a gender if I had to wear a costume to be more "human", men have ties and uniforms and such to the same effect.

They are considered girlish because we are told that is the way things have to be, most probably because that way they make millions of all selling those make up and costume pieces, to our conditioned minds that truly believe we need outside stuff to really be what we consider ourselves to really be....

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Whoa, there are still women that like men as they are naturally?

Amazing!

Al of my friends shave chests, legs, whatever! I practice some prudent "manscaping" but refuse to shave my body in general. It's all the rage to make ones self more effeminate these days and I feel like the last line of resistance sometimes.

This thread scares me in a way because I am so sick of people trying to destroy the masculine image and mens values. Next my buddies are going to be wearing dresses and lipstick and carrying fancy purses around and they will all be calling ME crazy.

I just want to be a man, the way a man is intended to be. Let me have my hairy chest (it's actually quite nice!) and my blue collar sweat. You ladies are going to get tired of soft, smooth, overly careful, can't get dirty, pretty boys eventually and you'll have to work twice as hard to get your men back into shape!

We aren't meant to be the same!!! We aren't meant to be the same!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join