It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think You Know Everything About The Gulf Oil Spill? Well Think Again! Prepare To Be Rocked To Th

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Ok, Space Cadet,
And by the way, I am not a DUDE. If you must, please, Dudette at the minimum, and I prefer Princess.

Mycoplasma mycoides

. Craig Venter Institute press release

Researchers at the J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI), a not-for-profit genomic research organization, published results today describing the successful construction of the first self-replicating, synthetic bacterial cell. The team synthesized the 1.08 million base pair chromosome of a modified Mycoplasma mycoides genome. The synthetic cell is called Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0 and is the proof of principle that genomes can be designed in the computer, chemically made in the laboratory and transplanted into a recipient cell to produce a new self-replicating cell controlled only by the synthetic genome. This research will be published by Daniel Gibson et al in the May 20th edition
of Science Express and will appear in an upcoming print issue of Science. www.missiontohumanity.com...
www.ft.com...

These microbes have already been use, and they continue to be used!

Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, who leads the government's relief effort, said in June, “We're no longer dealing with a large, monolithic spill. We're dealing with an aggregation of hundreds of thousands of patches of oil that are going in a lot of different directions.” He noted that while cleaning up the oil spill on the surface will go on for a couple of months after the well is plugged, long-term issues of restoring the environment and the habitats will take years.

Bioremediation may have some role to play in that restoration provided the cure isn’t worse than the disease. The former approach was used as part of the cleanup effort after the Exxon Valdez spill. The addition of bacteria has been less successful. Bioremediation involves using microorganisms or their enzymes to return environments altered by contaminants to their original conditions. In the case of oil spills multiple techniques may be used, including the addition of nutrients to the environment to enhance and facilitate crude oil decomposition by specific bacteria or the introduction of oil-eating bacteria.
The company grows the microbes in proprietary continuous cell culture vessels to select microbes that have higher proliferation rates under specific conditions. The innovation behind Evolugate’s continuous culture vessels is that they are engineered to prevent microbes from sticking to the walls, a common strategy by which microbes evade selective pressure in other continuous culture technologies.

The Evolugate technology works via partial dilution: As a culture grows and becomes saturated, a small proportion of the grown culture is replaced with fresh medium, allowing the culture to continually grow at close to its maximum population size. Thomas Lyons, Ph.D., principal research scientist and board member of the firm, told GEN that in adapting the microbes for the Gulf oil spill, “we add more microbes every day to bolster genetic diversity.

“When we first started the culture we saw a die-off, and we expected that the dispersants and oil in the Gulf water-containing medium would kill some microbes. But after one week we saw a huge increase in cell density suggesting that adaptive variants arose. Within two weeks we already have robust growth on oil samples taken from the Gulf.

“The beauty of what we do is that we have built in evolutionary trade-offs: The longer the microbes spend evolving to the oil the less robust they become under other conditions. Once the oil is gone they will lose their competitive advantage and will no longer survive in that environment.”

Dr. Lyons noted that producing such designer microbes through genetic engineering would be hard to pull off. Oil is so full of complicated substances that jamming all the genes needed to digest and metabolize it into a single microbe and then expecting it to reproduce and flourish might be asking too much, he said. Experimental evolution, on the other hand, simultaneously changes metabolic capabilities as well as optimizes growth rates.

www.genengnews.com...

It is really clear, expecially here:

He also pointed out that right now the company’s proposal to select and introduce designer oil-eating microbes into the Gulf is in BP’s hands. “It’s in their pipeline, but we are not waiting for a response. We know our approach stands the best chance to make bioremediation work, and we are proceeding accordingly. .......To underscore Dr. Lyons’ point, while there are four oil eaters in this bacterial genus, each uses a different component of the oil as its food source and they all compete with one another when added to the same oil sample. In 1981, Dr. Chakrabarty received a patent on a genetically modified Pseudomonas bacterium that would eat up oil spills, the first patent of its kind; he was the first person to win a patent on a living organism. ”

edit on 30-10-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

“The beauty of what we do is that we have built in evolutionary trade-offs: The longer the microbes spend evolving to the oil the less robust they become under other conditions. Once the oil is gone they will lose their competitive advantage and will no longer survive in that environment.”

it's ludicrous as Hell
absolutely no a least reason to suppose that way as prime conjecture! most of bacterias to survive into aggressive environments are able to mutate & to use another basis of food

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Good information, and thanks for all the hard work, guys. (Feminine guys).

It certainly doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution. Points well taken.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We are killing ourselves, but what does the media show us?...... They show us videos of people cleaning oil off of seagulls. The media says this is the BP oil crisis.The media says this will affect gas prices. No. It is the unannounced suicide of the world we live in and they are not even telling us about it. I enjoy living and I never wanted other people in control of that. Too late I guess. Thank you for enlightening us! S & F

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A bio engineered microbe designed to eat an oil spill doesn't sound all that unfeasible.

Especially, considering all the people posting about the wonderful microbes eating the oil, sounding like oil industry shrills.

The same shills now demand proof that such a thing had been made, as if that info would be ready made available to the public.

Staph infections? Really? You might as well claim it is acne.

The oil industry has demonstrated over and over again, they they care nothing for others. What a bunch of psychos.

I am still trying to understand how people blame Obama for the actions of BP and Halliburton.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Reading and researching over the years about a great many *different* topics has opened a realization to me. --That no matter what kind of "fringe" topic a person is interested in, once he/she begins reading about it, that person's investigation/curiosity will ultimately intersect with another "fringe" topic.

For instance, say you are interested in UFOs. You begin reading about it and suddenly you find information about WWII Nazi scientists being brought to the US via PROJECT PAPERCLIP. You read further and discover that many of these scientists were immediately employed in the most highly classified US research projects. Some of these scientists rose to positions of power within government agencies, research projects, NASA and others. Then you might learn of a secret space program and classified technology. To keep this high-tech completely secret, these projects were *privatized* into the ownership of CORPORATIONS; at this point, there is absolutely NO public accountability. You might learn while reading about all of this that JFK had contacted his Russian counterpart in order to COLLABORATE to get to the Moon, but, unfortunately, he was slain before any of this could be enacted. Further, there are photos of a smiling (widely smiling) LBJ on Air Force One just after he is sworn in, not the kind of reaction we might expect when the POTUS has just been assassinated.

Essentially, if you are interested in any topic involving UFOs, NASA, JFK, Nazis, Big Pharma, Big Corporations, the National Security State, Genetic Engineering... Your investigation(s) will probably cross lines with another major topic of "fringe" nature. Including this GULF OIL SPILL.

As mentioned by the OP, "it all sounds so sci-fi" -or something along those lines. And, it's true. It DOES sound so sci-fi. It sounds Orwellian. It's like something out of the pages of Farenheit 451 or 1984 or Animal Farm or... whatever your sci-fi flavor.

The prolific scientist/author Isaac Asimov wrote at least one essay in the 70s/80s about how CORPRATIONS would be the new power structure, not mere nations, governments or alliances. Corporations would weild the monetary might and people would have first allegiance to their well-being, their paycheck, before anything else. Well, it's 30/40 years later... and look what has happened. Corporations wield so much money (and political campaigns depend on: MONEY) that they have bought Washington D.C. lock, stock and barrel. Corporations like B.P. transcend national borders and can conduct research on ANYTHING they want. Anything. Because of this, they had the freedom to tamper with the genetics of this biological monstrosity they've concocted.

And we saw what happened. An unprecedented oil leak in this hemisphere. Unprecedented spraying of chemical dispersants. There was no oversight, no leash. B.P. did what they wanted to, lied and the people of the Gulf, whose lives were destroyed, are left in ruins and shambles --with not even a "Sorry for your inconvenience" from B.P. But why should they do anything further for the people of the Gulf when B.P. has so much power and influence in Washington via special interest groups, lobbies and behind-the-scenes connections with oil-affiliated politicians and companies who employ the relatives of prominent politicians?

One take on all of these "fringe" topics is that they truly ARE connected. Start with the Nazi scientists brought here after WWII. They rise to power in classified research projects and develop high-tech that is classified and privatized (into a corporation). Several Nazis join these corporations, as the scientists are the magic behind the technology. They rise in power and join the ranks of the uber-wealthy world elite. Pretty soon, you have the LOSERS (the Nazis) of WWII *at the top of the game* --wealthy beyond imagining, with technology that would take your breath away. The mix of extreme wealth and amazing technology... would eventually lead to what Richard Dolan (author of "UFOs and the National Security State) calls... a BREAKAWAY CIVILIZATION.

Essentially, these would be the rich, global elite. Their technology compared to ours would be like our technology compared to those tribes in South America who have had little or no contact with the "outside world." Don't you pity them a little, at least? --That is debatable, surely. My point is that they don't enjoy the fruits of the technology we enjoy, one example would be the ability to share thoughts via message boards like ATS. Well, the wealthy elite might have technology that seems impossible to us, or magical.

They might be going to other planets, other dimensions, --they might have cities under our feet. We don't really know. We only know that things seem to be happening completely out of control (for us). If you've been to ATS for some time, or listen to Coast to Coast AM or read select magazines, you are aware of the anomalous objects orbiting the Earth, distantly, captured and photographed by amateur telescopes. You know a little about the Norway Spiral (as highly detailed by Richard Hoagland at Enterprise Mission).

You might have heard about the "heist" of certain ancient artifacts from the Baghdad Museum of Antiquities by special-ops-styled teams upon the invasion of 2003. -They left valuable jewels behind during the quest for specific items. Some say the entire invasion was just a stage to be set for the acquisition of these relics. Who, pray tell, might have the money to fund such a heist, and who might have the ability to set the region into war? You guessed it. World elite.

All of this being said, do you think the Gulf oil disaster was much of an accident?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

I am still trying to understand how people blame Obama for the actions of BP and Halliburton.

If I had been president all of those corporations would have gone to trial on charges for crimes against humanity.

Before the BP spill occurred.

EDIT: Besides the ones that would have been outside of my jurisdiction. I'd still figure something out
edit on 30-10-2010 by Marulo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i am not really seeing any hardcore evidence that this stuff has cause any actual sickness ... I would like to see some info on that ... until then I am really just not sure if theres a reason to be so concerned

as for the antibiotic resistance in this stuff there is tons of antibiotics in the ocean thanks to sewers, and our body only being able to use a very small percentage of most pharms. the rest get flushed when we pee.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

All of this being said, do you think the Gulf oil disaster was much of an accident?

in the first instance, nicely done post
secondly, yeah, indirect facts say for that point, GOM was a kind of special operation
no doubt, last stage of Great Game on the Globe has been run.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

For those that ask "why is the media not reporting this" I must say it is because there is nothing to report.

nice example of to be worthy report

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

I like the way you think, I agree with that. I call them the invisible people. People whom you will never see or hear about. People none of us even know exist. The true rulers of this world. They are invisible to us and we will never know about them.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I would imagine that a synthetic virus would have various effects on various people. Probably not going to get exactly the same reaction in everyone because it would depend on what is going on already in the body. This would also give the factor of "deniability" (one of the prerequisites on the list of requirements for biological warfare) because there would most likely not be one set of symptoms - maybe a few common ones, but not a whole set........just like with morgellons.

Building up the immune system would of course be super important, but if such a virus were synthetically made to do what is being suggested here, who knows if it would even matter because it's not natural.......might make you live a little longer than the junk food junkie, but that might equate to suffering longer too.

Dark forces don't take and never will take responsibility - they will just continue to be so cleverly deceptive that we, in turn, will continue to run in circles trying to figure out who did what to who, when did it happen, where is it happening, and my personal favorite, why?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Does anyone know how many people are sick with this new virus. what are the ideas on how it spreads?

Most of the office personnel where I work are plagued by respiratory problems and have missed work. Terrible hacking cough and we all live near the gulf. ^Y^
edit on 30-10-2010 by amari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by skyflower

I would imagine that a synthetic virus would have various effects on various people.

gov. & bp just have wasted residents within affected areas: VOC & other chemical impacts kill human immune system that makes'em 100% victims of those "good" bacterias. no words.. pure criminal methods have been applied to. moreover, that situation produces new sickness for the World at nearest future.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
SO, TELL ME. How is this harmful to the whole world. By telling me what exactly is so bad about this, so bad to the world. Please tell me how it would harm me, the plants, water, and insects. Now whats ROCKIN MY WORLD. WHAT, i'm confused here, how will this harm the world?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KringleFantastico

"bacteria don't just randomly, successfully infect multicellular species. The process of establishing a new primary host species is a very long process (even/especially if it is engineered... ), often fraught with incalculable failures for every one success."

Not tryin to down your perspective in any way, it's just that when I read that line in your reply my thought was this:
Who's to say that it hasn't been a long process.......the gov. has been working on bio-engineering for a very long time - longer than they'd like us to believe. Who's to say there haven't been failures that we weren't seeing as attempts?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

I am not for or against this, I would like to see some proof, so lets get diggin in here for hard core EVIDENCE, ok. Lets talk to residents over there. Lets take rain samples. Lets take drinking water samples right from the faucets they drink from. Lets take ocean samples. Lets see the multiplication process and see how fast it grows , so we know how much time we have. LETS SEE SOME EVIDENCE, PEOPLE.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

SO, TELL ME. How is this harmful to the whole world

mutations: those actions have provided to grow up the colony of so-called good bacterias -- the more bacterias in colony the more mutations in consequence & no reason to consider each mutation will be harmless for animals, in particular humans.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

Well, here are some people asking questions and answering them. GOOD JOB FOLKS, let us be informed of the numbers getting ill here, OK.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

how do you know trully, that this is harmless to humans? Lets find some facts here and present it here so we can see. OOPS, MISSUNDERSTOOD YOUR POST, ok i get what you are saying now.
edit on 30-10-2010 by nite owl because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join