It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think You Know Everything About The Gulf Oil Spill? Well Think Again! Prepare To Be Rocked To Th

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I think you are confused. I am referring to the oil eating microbe called Alcanivorax Borkumensis which was Bio engineered. This was in the gulf!! proven!! The article from the OP is talking about "Synthia"

As far as staph? I don't doubt there may be staph in those wounds, as staph occurs on the skin naturally. It does not take a lot of manipulation to get a staph infection in any open area. But I can tell you the staph infection is secondary to the actual cause of what is going on with the people. MRSA alone does NOT cause internal bleeding, nausea, vomiting, numbness, tingling. swelling of the joints and extremities, bleeding ears, bleeding nose, hair loss in a 12 year old, loss of smell, constant fatique, continuous respiratory infections, mental confussion, severe headaches!!

A staff infection doesn't cause 2 butoxyethanol a by product of Benzine to show up in your blood stream. These are major bacterial infections along with chemical poisoning we are seeing in the gulf.

Like Burns said give it a rest.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by windwaker

that article doesn't prove anything at all. Sorry. The legs pictured look like the legs of a staph infected meth user. The 'lesions' do not look anything different than impetigo or staph. I meant actual proof, pictures of many people and their 'lesions', not one woman's legs and a guess that it could be caused by microbs that are eating oil.

Then try looking for yourself because there are many examples of this out there for the world to see. How insulting it is for you to say this person must have these lesions from being a "meth user". That's the most ignorant thing I've heard in awhile. You would think that there is an obvious connection between these wounds and the massive amounts of dead marine life there, of which there is also considerable photo evidence of, but I guess not

Oh, and consider the fact that local doctors don't even want to properly address this massive medical issue for some reason, why is that?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I think you and i will just have to agree to disagree.

edit on 30-10-2010 by paxnatus because: second thought about my tone of what I was saying.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I saw nothing in that article that said this bio engineered microbe was or has been used in the gulf. To the contrary, from the website of the makers of said microbe, it states they are a long way from using it for anything. A long way from it.

I have not seen anything that says it was used in the gulf. Show me that.

I have not seen anything showing internal bleeding, just sores on a few people's legs that look like a staph infection, no tie to the microbes you suggested are being used and were used.

Show me where any lab claims that these microbes were used in the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Wow. Absolutely disgusting! It isn't enough that BP has turned the Gulf of Mexico into a wasteland in the worst environmental disaster of all time!

It isn't enough that they have covered things up, threatened and I'm sure killed people. It isn't enough that people have died from the poisons or that an entire region has had their homes and their livelihood destroyed in the name of greed.

They also are playing God! They are tempting fate, and either have accidentally or more likely purposely created a monstrosity that will infect and damage every life form that it contacts! The fact that they are already creating a vaccine making entity is a testament to where they think their own abomination will end up!

This is the worst case of corruption by a government, outright greed by a corporation, and science run amok in the history of the world!

Let's not also make it the largest example of apathy, or the death of us all either people! We cannot accept this! We can't let this slide! If we continue down this path of non-resistance and apathy, it will be our end!
edit on 30-10-2010 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

For the last time the name of the article I am referring to is Bio-Remediation or Biohazard? Dispersants, Bacteria and Illness in the Gulf. Again here is the link: www.huffingtonpost.com...

I truly apologize for offending you and hurting your feelings regarding your family, that was never my intention. Please stay out of the water! It isn't safe!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by KringleFantastico

I respect your opinion. Now I would like to comment on a few of your quotes........

The article is not poorly written perhaps misunderstood. As I stated in my OP, I am working with Dr. Riki Ott reknowned toxicologist whose legacy belongs to her research with the Exxon Valdez spill. I happen to know things about the illness infecting the people in the Gulf that thegeneral public does not. I am a nurse with 15 years trauma experience along with infectious diseases. I have done extensive research along the lines of what exactly is happening to real people in the gulf region. Including personally talking with several everyday.

As well, bacteria don't just randomly, successfully infect multicellular species. The process of establishing a new primary host species is a very long process (even/especially if it is engineered... ), often fraught with incalculable failures for every one success.

The article states

.In 2003, JCVI successfully synthesized a small virus that infects bacteria. By 2008, the JCVI team was able to synthesize a small bacterial genome. On May 6, 2010, JCVI revealed they had already created a self-replicating bacterial cell controlled by a chemically synthesized genome they named “synthetic Mycoplasma mycoides.

Within those bacteria are several gram- and gram+ bacterium. People have been dying of the Flesh eating bacteria in the gulf normally the bacterium responsible is streptococcus A however, here is an article stating vibrio vulnificus is responsible. West Orlando News. The Flesh eating bacteria is rare, but to have 7 people die within a few weeks of one another, is really bizarre!

the reason that penicillin does not affect mycoplasma, is because mycoplasma does not have a cell wall. It isn't considered gram negative, but it sure as heck isn't gram positive. Penicillin attacks the ability for a gram positive bacteria to synthesize a cell wall from peptidoglycan. Mycoplasma has no peptidoglycan. This is but one example of the serious basic, scientific errors in this article.

Yes, you are right about the bacteria not having a cell wall, that is because typically mycoplasma are classified as a fungus they act in the same way a fungus replicates, however they have been classifed by some taxonomists as bacteria. They don't respond to typical drugs in the Penicillin class but they will respond to other antibiotics. They respond well to antifungals, Amphotericin B being the number 1 choice.

As a final thought, I wouldn't worry too much about the whole "connecting the dots" thing here. Some of the article is based in fact, but there is a good bit of it that is supremely questionable. I am about as big a conspiracy theorist as they come, but this whole thing stinks with amateur fear mongering. Just my two cents.

Here is where you and I differ. This I'm afraid is not a conspiracy theory this is reality.

Thanks for your post.
Pax

signature:

I respect your opinion. With that said I would also like to point out a few facts regarding your quotes...

On the first point, I do not immediately doubt that you might work with Dr. Ott. I also have absolutely no doubt that people in the Gulf region are getting sick on what is most likely a massive scale. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons mixed with dispersants will do that. As for the writing in the article (structure, punctuation, organization, syntax, etc...), it is something that I might expect from an opinion piece on AOL news... maybe. This would never, ever, ever pass in any capacity as a well written article within the scientific community (or probably any professional community).

The first quote on which I was cited I absolutely and unequivocally stand behind.

On your second point, in the realm of biology, we tailor viruses all of the time to accomplish a whole host of genomic work. Bacteriophages they are called. They are the workhorse of modern biology/genetics. As for Dr. Venter, I am well aware that he recently created the first "synthetic" bacteria. I won't go into the gory details, but this was a relatively recent accomplishment and "synthetic" in this case is merely an extension of work that has been going on for at least two decades. As well, it is my understanding that Venter is quite vocal about his opposition to big oil. If you would like to know more about his work, the following lecture is pretty good: www.youtube.com...

On your second point; Dr. Venter has not created a gram positive bacteria (or at least has not published it). Streptococcus A is a naturally occurring and quite prevalent microbe. There are many types of strep A, so I don't know where to really go with that. As for vibrio, the lab next to mine is the go to lab for vibrio vulnificus (a pathogen associated with oysters... what I do). V vulnificus is much more prevalent during summer months. Seven deaths is not out of whack with historical mortality, and is not at all bizarre. I do not know what this has to do with the original article.

The second quote on which I was cited I absolutely and unequivocally stand behind.

On your third point, you are plain incorrect. Mycoplasma is a bacteria, not a fungus. There are innumerable ways to prove this, but the easiest, I think, is to point out that it has circular DNA. Fungi are eukaryotic and therefore have linear DNA. Amphotericin B might kill mycoplasma... I don't know. But traditionally, amphotericin B targets ergosterol, something that mycoplasma does not have. Who knows, could be cross reactive (I very much doubt it). Not my field.

The second quote on which I was cited I absolutely and unequivocally stand behind.

On your last point, the only thing that I can say for certain is that I am certain about nothing. However, I doubt it.

Cheers,

KringleFantastico, International man of mystery and intrigue!
edit on 30-10-2010 by KringleFantastico because: Quote boxes were all junked up (sorry).

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
While this isn't proof of BP's alleged adventure into the use of Mycoplasma mycoides to profit from oil...there is much interest by a growing number of conglomerates in how Synthia might be used by certain oil companies.

Friends of the Earth called for a stop to research until regulations are in place, and ETC Group (which cleverly named the then-uncreated organism “Synthia” in 2007) warned that “Craig Venter is handing this powerful technology to the world’s most irresponsible and environmentally damaging industry by partnering with the likes of BP and Exxon” (see the June 23, 2009 LRBJ*). The Vatican viewed the results as “positive,” before pointedly adding an injunction to “never forget that there is only one creator” (hint: not Venter). Meanwhile the White House called for a commission to study the implications.

www.luxresearchinc.com...

Star

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
i remember when they claimed that bacteria had eaten all those barrels of oil far quicker than expected that i thought something sounded odd...nobody believed it really..everyone assumed it was the amounts of corexit they had used.

this sounds incredible...but it actually makes sense..if naturally occurring bacteria can eat so much oil...why are oil slicks considered so dangerous?..and why doesnt that happen every time?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

A grandmother made me rethink all the bio-remediation hype. The "naturally-occurring oil-eating bacteria" have been newsworthy of late as they are supposedly going to come to the rescue of President Obama and BP and make good on their very premature statement that "the oil is gone."

Naturally occurring oil eating bacteria. Not the bio engineered microbes.

We were talking about subsurface oil in the Gulf when she said matter-of-factly, "The bacteria are running amok with the dispersants." What? "Those oil-eating bacteria -- I think they're running amok and causing skin rashes." My mind reeled. Could we all have missed something so simple?

Keepin mind, this is the grandmother talking, NOT Riki Ott

I first heard about the rash from Sheri Allen in Mobile, Alabama. Allen wrote of red welts and blisters on her legs after "splashing and wading on the shoreline" of Mobile Bay with her two dogs on May 8. She reported that "hundreds of dead fish" washed up on the same beach over the following two days.

Is this proof it was from flesh eating microbes? I think not. I would be more inclined to think it was caused by swimming in rancid water, rancid from dead fish, however the 'lesions' shown on her legs are screaming 'staph'

The rashes have been diagnosed as scabies and staph infections, including MRSA, the potentially lethal Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Most cases lingered for months, as the rash did not respond well to antibiotics, steroid creams, or steroid shots.

This is consistant with staph infection, it is highly resistant to antibiotics, naturally.

A mysterious persistent skin rash has occurred across the Gulf, coincident with BP's release of oil and chemical dispersants. Mobile, Alabama, resident Sheri Allen was one of the first to report its occurrence in early May. (Photo: Sheri Allen)

According to the website for the company who created the synthetic bacteria, it was not done until May. The first creation of it was in May. This woman in the photo claims this occurred during May.

Referring to Allen's case, she said, "I can say without hesitation that these skin rashes have nothing to do with scabies. Scabies is a parasite, which causes a skin infection and is extremely contagious. It spreads from person to person by direct skin contact or by wearing an article of clothing worn by an infected person." Schmidt said, "If this were scabies you would see entire families infected and NOT just a single family member."

Medical doctors are diagnosing skin rashes on Gulf visitors and residents alike as scabies and staph infections, including MRSA (this photo, identity protected). The rashes resist prescribed treatments and often reoccur for months. (Photo permission: Riki Ott)

Duh, the pictured woman's legs are not infected with scabies, obviously. They are however obviously infected with staph. The nurse mentions that scabies wouldn't react this way to antibiotics, but she fails to admit that this is exactly what would or could happen with a staph infection. Or maybe she did and that bit of info is conviently left out.

Another clue to the real cause of the mystery rash is its prevalence across the entire oil-impacted Gulf. Something in the water or air, or both, could explain this.

Again, there is no statement whatsoever in this huffington post article that directly ties microbes to any disease in the gulf, and the only person hinting at it, is the grandmother she is talking with.

Which all brings me back to the grandmother. After talking with her, I've been reading about bacteria, and I now think the Great Gulf Experiment is going very badly for humans. One can only wonder about the rest of the ecosystem.

Great, Riki Ott decided to start READING about bacteria after talking with this grandmother, this article is dated Sept 17 2010, this is when Riki Ott started reading about bacteria. No expert on the subject here.

I have now anylized practically the entire article that you site as proof that oil flesh eating microbes are eating peoples skin off and whatever else. Poppycock.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Wow. a good read and a bit worrying. 1 company responsible for not just a genome they created, but the cure if something does go astray?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I was thinking about typing some long drawn out response to this long drawn out thread,but I decided on a song.
Do not respond.
I don't care if you like it or not.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You have managed to scare everyone with early staged algae that eats carbon, good job.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by windwaker

that article doesn't prove anything at all. Sorry. The legs pictured look like the legs of a staph infected meth user. The 'lesions' do not look anything different than impetigo or staph. I meant actual proof, pictures of many people and their 'lesions', not one woman's legs and a guess that it could be caused by microbs that are eating oil.

Then try looking for yourself because there are many examples of this out there for the world to see. How insulting it is for you to say this person must have these lesions from being a "meth user". That's the most ignorant thing I've heard in awhile. You would think that there is an obvious connection between these wounds and the massive amounts of dead marine life there, of which there is also considerable photo evidence of, but I guess not

Oh, and consider the fact that local doctors don't even want to properly address this massive medical issue for some reason, why is that?

True, Dimitri. Space Cadet's comments are a classic case of denial. I see it to much with people in my private life and people around me now. They don't want to accept the truth about what's going on right in front of their eyes...

I have family that live in Sarasota, very close to the Gulf beaches. This scares the # out of me...Yet they will not listen to my concerns because I'm an "alarmist". My parents are not interested in moving from Sarasota, yet they are WILLINGLY uninformed about the truth.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
British Petroleum should change their name to Umbrella Corporation.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Let's just ask bill nye the science guy,he will put this issue to rest.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
and you know whats funny about all of this? there isn't a thing we can do about it. these people have too much power, nothing short of divine intervention or alien invasion will change the course of our future.

our children are about to become slaves, tough luck eh?

The sad part is that you are 99% correct, unless everyone miraculously comes together after finally allowing themselves to be enlightened and truly see what's really going on and say no more. I am a betting man and I wouldn't bet on it though.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Just imagine, a virus that only a computer can control.

computer doesn't control virus/bacteria -- it has been used to model & to realize genome. however, i got immense doubts after conception to inject bacterias into to improve well's productions: there're too horrific pressure & temperature to survive something alive. but AB's applying to consume oil spill sounds rather truly. &, yeah, that way can force bacterial storm & further mutations of those organisms.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think it is high time someone put this ridiculousness to bed! This entire thread is obviously about the OP getting stars and flags with no scientific merit or credibility; that or it is an all out complete hoax perpetrated solely to amuse what is most likely a group of teenagers.

The article has been shown to be a poorly written cobbling together of a few facts with a great deal of baseless fear inducing disinformation thrown in. I want to thank those on this thread that have attempted to point out the various falsehoods and issues with the article in the OP. I am amused at how the repeated questions of those I just thanked have been ignored or met with information that in no way relates to their question. I am equally amused at the way so many on this thread ignore science and rationality to favor outright fiction and fear.

For those that ask "why is the media not reporting this" I must say it is because there is nothing to report. For those that ask "why won't my family in the area listen to me?" I must say it is because they are in the area and are seeing firsthand that all that you are speaking of is false.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

please, item your point in details, what is false/right by your mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join