It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National ID card coming soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Here is an example of how close we are to having a national ID card here in the US. The UK is implementing a pilot program for one already. Please read the article in the link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Sorry this is an old topic, but what happened with this for you people in the UK?

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well it depends. People don't want it because it'd cost £2Bn (I think that was the figure).

Anyway for now there's no national I.D.

Saved me burning it.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by amanbuthimself

...seems like they're really pushing for it though, from the OP:

By 2012, it is estimated that 80% of workers will have the card or a combined driving licence or passport. The Home Office hopes the scheme will be compulsory by 2014.

On Thursday, Mr Blunkett said the ID cards would probably be free for young people and there would be concessions for the elderly and those on low incomes.

He said the biometric system proposed would end multiple identities and give a boost to the fight against terrorism and organised crime.

2008: 80% of economically active population will carry some form of biometric identity document Estimated cost of £3.1bn Consortium of companies in UKPS trials led by Schlumberger

[edit on 24-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I cannot really understand the reluctance of some people to 'x' identity card projects. In our country we have had ID-Cards for 7-8 years already. They contain digital information about the owner and biometric will be added in the future.

They are excellent for quick personal identification and have in my mind the potential to make all other plastic cards obsolete. I dream of the day I can drop all my other cards into the trash-bin and my ID-card will be accepted universally in all shops for both payments, discounts etc.

I voted on my local elections with my Id card through internet. Come on.. it's great

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Alphard

Yeah, It's great!

Thanks there Tony The Tiger. Um, what's not so great is a government, any government, having exclusive access to ALL of your personal information. Let's look at this for a moment... If you only have one card and you use to it for purchases, discounts, identification etc. it would seem to me that some government agency would have access to track your every single move. Track every purchase you've ever made. Track every store you've ever visited. Track every step you've taken via public transportation etc... This sounds good to you???

I cannot remember a single time in history that citizens have come out on the long of the stick when government retains total control of one's PERSONAL information.

And the old argument of "If you have nothing to hide, then this shouldn't be a problem" is pure nonsense. I don't have anything to hide and I see nothing but problems with this scheme. In fact, here in the US we have been plagued by reports of government agencies losing tape drives, hard drives and back-ups loaded with personal info from Social Security numbers to complete driver's license info. Question... If I obtain your card it sounds like I can do anything I want over the internet and pretend I'm you, correct? Doesn't sound very great to me. I think I'll opt-out on this one.

new topics

top topics

join