It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naturalized Citizen-> Rupert Murdoch-> News Corp-> Fox News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Interesting how much Fox News plays the "Americas Network" card and yet its founding President was essentially forced into becoming a U.S. citizen. Rupert Murdoch is not a natural born U.S. citizen. According to wikipedia the FCC rules state only Americans can own broadcasting tv stations. The reason and only reason I can see as to why Murdoch became a U.S. citizen was to create the News channel known as Fox News and Fox Business channel.

I just find it interesting one of the largest if not largest news corporations in America is not naturally American. This is not an attack the right thread and defend the msnbc left thread (which at times I find more bias than Fox). Just thought it was pertinent information and worth sharing.

When Fox isnt war mongering or Karl Roving I find it to be somewhat fair. That includes Oreilly, Hannity is a complete tool from what I can tell, but I dont pay much attention anymore.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That's common knowledge in Australia. Maybe because he came from here though.

We're secretly invading, we've got your press, our actors are taking over hollywood, Curtis Stone the chef is friends with Oprah, now Kylie Minogue is coming over there, your country is ours.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Why does it matter if he was born here or not? He runs businesses...albeit in a manner that makes most people shake their heads.

This just seems like a non issue to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Don't tell me you've finally started to follow Faux News advice and began to "follow the money"? Have you got to the part where Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is the number 2 owner of News Ltd.? And isn't a US citizen at all? And is a (shudder) Muslim? And not a republican but a monarchist (just like Rupert, by the way) And helped fund the rec center so disingenuously turned into the dreaded 'Ground-Zero Mosque' by the Faux blowhards?

Which means, of course, that he is paying those Faux News talking air-heads to fulminate against himself. Pretty clever, huh?

[url=http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/08/fox-shareholder-funded-mosque-imam/Fox News shareholder funded ‘Ground Zero mosque’ imam: report[/url]

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Not saying its "Breaking News" or anything of the like. Just the fact that Fox wraps itself in the American flag so tightly, but the owner wasnt naturally American seems some what ironic. And the fact News Corp has paid the lowest amount in taxes comparatively to the other organizations (according to wiki) throws up a red flag (not that I blame them...if I found loopholes Id exploit them as well). Just something to take note of I suppose. Worth knowing than not knowing. Hence the post. I had no idea before I came across the article.

And yes Russel Crowe and the rest of you Australians are taking over the world. One pronunciation of English words at a time...hahaa!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

what would the point be?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Nobody in the world fears an Australian. Those poor blokes can't even own firearms and Indonesia or China will one day take them over. Besides, neither Congress, the President, or the Judicial Branch of the Federal Government any longer defines "American" as a legal citizen of one of our States. Anyone now who can crawl across our southern border is now an American. Atleast Murdoch did the paperwork and paid the $300 to be legally called an American. He didn't have to in todays day and age since we're no longer a nation of laws.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Atleast Murdoch did the paperwork and paid the $300 to be legally called an American. He didn't have to in todays day and age since we're no longer a nation of laws.

If only it cost 300$ then the millions sneaking in would pay. But, it doesn't work that way.

Murdoch likely received a green card because he made a million dollar investment in the American economy. The green card is the first step towards becoming a citizen.

Since your average Mexican can't make a million dollar investment, that route is closed off to him.

Buy your greencard, only multi millionaires need aply.

hH paid wayyyy more than 300 dollars.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

ya i can see it now..Murdoch in a room reciting the pledge of allegiance with his hand over his heart with 30 average joes...suuuuure...that happened

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Is there some problem you have with naturalized citizens OP? Yours is a nation of immigrants, and as I recall hearing quite clearly from my time there, once you become an American, in all legal standing you are fully an American.

Now I'll say right up front that I am no fan of Fox News Channel, but I've got no problem with Rupert Murdoch owning it. It's fully within his rights, and he has proved himself to be an excellent businessman if not the best newsman.

For a long time I thought about becoming an American, instead my wife and I decided that she'd rather become British and when I got an offer for a transfer back to London, I took it. So she has ended up becoming a naturalized citizen of the UK, instead of me becoming one in the US.

I've got no problem with people who immigrate waving their adopted nation's flag with pride either, it is something that is a very well earned right and their decision.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

nope got no problem with naturalized citizens... dont really have a problem with murdoch owning them either..id be happy to be the king of bbc as an american..haha..but as i said in a few posts above, i find it ironic Fox news is so biasly pro american (at least when it comes to new age version of republicanism cheerleading) yet their CEO is not naturally American. And since Fox is soooo big, well known and influential in America news and (politics specifically) I think it should be realized who is at the top of the food chain. That includes knowing where they come from.

Also, to point out (since this is a conspiracy website) their a well known conspiracy that intelligence agencies of the world have planted personnel and done a number on trying to steer news agencies in directions they see fit. I think a good reason as to why the journalistic methods by some of these conglomerates is constantly being scrutinized and questioned by those that dont buy into their agendas hook line and sinker.

But I digress. The fact the man is not naturally a citizen could mean absolutely nothing. He could be the most patriotic CEO in the world as far as I know. But I have my serious doubts about that.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
interestingly enough some of the best patriots are immigrants meaning they know what the real world is like

instead of being sheltered all their lives right here in the usa

at least murdoch bothers to go through the legal process and assimilated into its culuture instead of trying to make his culture dominate here.

kudos to murdoch id rather have a billionaire immigrant than a billion immigrants on welfare.

he pursued his right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness making a buck off of a medium that clearly loses more than it makes.

peace.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
interestingly enough some of the best patriots are immigrants meaning they know what the real world is like

instead of being sheltered all their lives right here in the usa

is there a suggestion that naturally born americans dont know what the "real world is like?"

hhhmmm...peculiar

he pursued his right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness making a buck off of a medium that clearly loses more than it makes.

peace.

I think thats a hard sell... the medium you are referring to (News/ information) is worth hundreds of billions with large profits...i think what you meant was print (ie newspapers, magazines, tabloids etc) is becoming increasingly difficult to make a buck off of..

Fox news is, I believe, is one of the most profitable forms of entertainment (i find none of the national msm outlets operate with forthright journalistic integrity). Their scrupulous actions only point towards their acute agendas...which in the end is usually politically driven. Again, another reason to understand who is at the top of the murky mountain. But would I own stock?...yep. hahaha!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

is there a suggestion that naturally born americans dont know what the "real world is like?"

not everyone in the world lives as "well" and are as spoiled as some americans are.

I think thats a hard sell... the medium you are referring to (News/ information) is worth hundreds of billions with large profits...i think what you meant was print (ie newspapers, magazines, tabloids etc) is becoming increasingly difficult to make a buck off of..

not as hard as you think murdoch and the news magnets of yesteryear are loosing billions to other new media forms and murdoch and every other media "billionaire" is heavily invested in others forms and that lose billions everyday.

dont believe me go find out just how many newspapers and other business murdoch "owns" you will be quite amazed and not everyone of them make money not only in this country but his homeland austrailia and the uk.

its called diversification and not all his investments pay out bank.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballsAnd yes Russel Crowe and the rest of you Australians are taking over the world.

Russel Crowe is a Kiwi.

From New Zealand.

Not Australia, although he lives here.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Nobody in the world fears an Australian.

And why should they? Australians don't want to be feared, they want to be respected, and they are.

Once upon a time it used to be that way in America too, but now that its the opposite, its twice upon a time. (appologies to Louis "Moondog" Hardin).

Those poor blokes can't even own firearms

Sure they can, and many do. You really shouldn't speak about subjects you are ignorant about.

Anyway, owning a gun doesn't do you much good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn door though. I notice that the USA, since the boycotted LA Olympics has scored 3 Gold medals in the Olympic Men's shooting event to the Aussie's 3 Golds - a dead heat. Pretty good for 'poor blokes that can't even own firearms' and are out numbered by more than 10 to 1 (and gun ownership, probably 100 to 1). The American women do a bit better, 2 Golds to the Aussie's 1.

and Indonesia or China will one day take them over.

Nope. Indonesia can't govern themselves, let alone take over anyone else. Malaysia would have a better chance, but it won't happen. Neither country needs Australia for anything except stuff like iron ore and coal and uranium but they don't need much and its a lot easier to just buy it. The Indonesian military could not begin to challenge Australia's military. The idea is laughable and you're just being silly.

China will just by us the same way they are buying the USA. You need to watch your own backyard and stop speculating about the fate of others until you have educated yourself a bit more.

Besides, neither Congress, the President, or the Judicial Branch of the Federal Government any longer defines "American" as a legal citizen of one of our States.

Never have. Its the other way around. A Citizen of the USA is an American, but not all Americans are Citizens of the USA. Canadians are Americans too, they live in North AMERICA. Brazilians are Americans too, they live in South AMERICA. I know, we USA Citizens like to monopolize the word 'American', but Latin Americans have never accepted that monopoly (Canadians are mostly just resigned to our ignorance). Again a little wider perspective would go a long way to increasing the value of your posts.

Anyone now who can crawl across our southern border is now an American.

You have no reason to be so obviously provocative. Illegal aliens are Illegal aliens. You know it and so does everyone else. The problem needs to be dealt with; putting your fingers in your ears and screaming 'LaLaLaLaLaLaLa' won't make it go away. No matter what the 'resolution' is, illegal aliens won't get Citizenship automatically, it just isn't feasible. Temporary permission to live and work in the USA is not the same as Citizenship. Please let your Congressman know that being pigheaded doesn't solve the problem.

At least Murdoch did the paperwork and paid the $300 to be legally called an American.

He paid a heck of a lot more than $300 (and I'm not sure that is the correct fee anyway), and he got his papers fast-tracked. But he didn't do anything different to other multimillionaires. The 'fast-track' process has always been in the law, and has been used many times for 'special requirements' like athletes, rocket scientists, and tycoons. Murdoch didn't break any laws, nor did he have any unique treatment, special treatment yes, unique treatment no. Once again your myopic ideology, eager to be against something instead of for something, blinds you to simple reality.

But he almost lost his right to own media in Australia, because at the time, dual allegiance was a disqualifier for media ownership. So they changed the Australian law for him.

This is extremely uncomfortable for me to be defending this snake by the way. I don't like Murdoch the man (and I've met him). I don't like him capturing the right wing agenda and forcing extreme opinions down the throat of Americans, not because he believes in the dreck he broadcasts, but because he can make a buck off a captured market. I don't like his bald faced purchase of the Republican party so that his message becomes the official party line, and the official party line media outlet becomes his cash cow. I don't like the way he is trying to buy the American political system and turn it into his own personal oligarchy - just like Berlusconi in Italy, but with out the young boys (except with all the Republicans that have been caught with young boys, maybe that is not a criteria).

He didn't have to in todays day and age

Yes he did if he wanted to own media in the USA - because, despite your mistaken opinion, the USA is a nation of laws.

since we're no longer a nation of laws.

In spite of the efforts of the unAmerican Tea-Partiers and the anti-Liberty Libertarians and all their various other anti-Constitutional allies, the USA is still a nation of laws. It seems to be only those folk, who have problems with the law that think that laws no longer apply.

Overall score for your post: FAIL.
edit on 30/10/2010 by rnaa because: spelling

edit on 30/10/2010 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

at least murdoch bothers to go through the legal process and assimilated into its culuture instead of trying to make his culture dominate here.

Oh honey....
He didnt try "to make his culture dominate here."
He succeded.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

Oh honey....
He didnt try "to make his culture dominate here."
He succeded.

Rupert Murdoch is one of the most uncultured men on the planet.

If you are talking about "Australian culture", that is an oxymoron if ever there was one.

new topics

top topics

join