It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shelf Reliance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't think I've seen anyone post about this place. They have food, food kits, water and water supplies, and other emergency items. Shelf Reliance
I saw their Frontier Pro Water Filter

our designers considered multiple uses, the prevention of cross contamination, size, weight, ease of use, extended filter life, universal connectivity, as well as “hands free” gravity flow capability in the development of the Frontier Pro filter system. The result is a new concept in ultra-light, compact portable filtration that fits in the palm of your hand.

but it didn't have enough info for me so I wrote to the company and asked them exactly what this water filter did. Here is the response:

Dear XXXXX XXXXX,
A Shelf Reliance Customer Support staff member has replied to your email inquiry, # with the following response:
XXXXX thank you for your patience and Im sorry it has taken me so long to respond I did do some research and it looks like the Frontier Pro Water Filter removes 99.9% of Cryptosporidium, Giardia. Only the finest quality coconut shell carbon is used in the production of the Aquamira micro filter to absorb chemicals, odors and improve the taste of the filtered water. In other words it clears out 99.9 percent of basic bacteria but will not remove any viruses. I hope this answers your question if you have any more questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact us. Thank you for choosing Shelf Reliance and have a great day!

The water filter is $24.95 so if anyone is still looking for a water filter this one is worth a look (even though it doesn't filter viruses), as are the rest of their items.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I believe Costco sells these ...

I've often looked at it myself but not knowing anything about the subject I hesitate to drop $1000 for the 1 year bundle. Although I must say the boxes do look pretty.

I look forward to the input from the experts on this as I've always wanted to know if it is a worthwhile purchase or what would be better alternatives for a city slicker like myself.

Thanks for the thread.

edit on 28 Oct 2010 by schrodingers dog because: add linkie

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I saw a review of this somewhere (don't remember where) apparently the main staple of the 1 year food supply is some foul tasting gruel.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this; I'm always interested in survival gear.

I think this water purifier would be excellent in removing particulates if used in conjunction with tablets to take care of the nastys that the filter alone can't handle.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nougat420

I'd really appreciate it if you could find this review.

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of Shelf Reliant's foods? I pack my own so I don't. I was looking more into the water filter.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
My personal favorite is the Katadyn Pocket. It's filtration rate is a little slow at 1L/min. but it has a 0.2 micron cleanable ceramic pre-filter for turbid water, and it is silver impregnated to kill protozoan. Nothing will get it all, but this comes the closest that will fit in your pocket or B.O.B.

I have always stored my own survival food also. Main reason being the pre-packaged kits are way too expensive for the low quality food in my opinion, and fairly low caloric content. I store foods that dry, and keep a long time like beans for example. Rice is fairly empty calories nutritionally speaking unless you can get rice with the bran still intact. Most retail kits rely heavily on rice. Don't store flour, it loses most nutritional potency within 6 months of the germ being exposed. Do store wheat, and get a mill so you get it's nutritional value, and wheat keeps for thousands of years if stored properly. Most people don't realize also that certain beans like lentils can be ground into flour and made into bread that is both very tasty, and nutritionally dense. For $1000 for emergency rations I could feed my family of 5 for nearly 2 years, and be much more nutritionally complete, and taste better. Longer if supplemented with hunting, and gathering. The kits are for convenience, and convenient always costs more. Take the time, do the research, and you can store more, better food.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here's the link to the Katadyn Pocket:
Kata dyn Pocket

and here's the link to all of Katadyn's Water Filters: Katadyn Water Filters

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Im useing the MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter, good flow rate, it screws on to my Camel Back, as well as my Nalgene bottles. Upkeep is minimal

www.rei.com...

Imsure if you shop around you can find them cheaper.

top topics

join