It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth-sized worlds much more common than giant planets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Earth-sized worlds much more common than giant planets

www.bbc.co.uk

Nearly one in four stars like the Sun could have Earth-sized planets, according to a new estimate published in the journal Science.

A US team has found that on average small, so-called rocky planets are much more common in orbit close to their star than giant planets planets similar in size to Jupiter.

This estimate is based on observations from nearby stars taken by the the twin 10-metre Keck telescopes in Hawaii. These show that 22 of the stars had detectable planets.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
More and more on the pile! They're out there, whether it be microbes, freaky grays or reptiloids and what have you! No doubt in my mind these days.

Great news I'm sure you'll all agree! I thought the opposite was true... But then I'm not an astrophysicist.

Unfortunately we are still only at the point where we are detecting gravitational effects on neighbouring stars, but I suppose it is only a matter of time before we can get some visual confirmation of at least one of these 'habitable' planets.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great find. I was only aware that they had found 1 other earth like planet, one of the Gliese 581 planets. This should shake things up a bit if it catches some mainstream attention.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Personally I think its going to more than 1/4. And we don't even see whats around us, our human body suits and brains are hardwired to only see a small portion of the ultra violet and only this channel at that. John Lear/Sleeper and whats really in this solar system comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

i personally think our veiw of our special 1 in a billion solar system is narrow sighted
if our solar system was created then the same forces would create other solar systems using the same forces
what if this solar system is THE way it is because the forces cause the planets to acreate

xp

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisintel
Great find. I was only aware that they had found 1 other earth like planet, one of the Gliese 581 planets. This should shake things up a bit if it catches some mainstream attention.
We aren't even sure they found that one, the measurements are barely above background noise, and they haven't found anymore.

The article says:

Dr Andrew Howard, from the University of California at Berkeley, admits that the estimate is currently impossible to back up using existing data.
Where I went to school, we called such an estimate a "SWAG"

(Sophisticated Wild-Assed Guess)

Hey I'm sure there are lots of other Earth-sized planets out there, all I'm saying is there's really no good evidence we've found any yet, in spite of media claims to the contrary.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This is true, at the minute it's all to do with the wobble the planet's mass causes on it's sun, it really is just speculation. But the media hype can help with funding I imagine hopefully we'll see some new tech in the next few years that can get some kind of visual.

new topics

top topics

join