It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can cops raid a house party without permission to come inside.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I had that happen because someone phoned in a complaint.
Problem was that the complaining party was across town and never was at the get together.

I found out a year later that it was the police officers wife that phoned in the complaint after he had called her to so that he had probable cause.
The fun part was two of the people at the get together were off duty federal LEOs and when the town cops tried to give them a bulls**t story about why they had the right to enter the feds pulled there badges.

Then the next day the feds started to investigate the town cops story about the drugs and guns that were supposed to be involved.

This is the type of thing that happen when a bunch of guys out of town that ride old Harley's get together.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Brahmanite
ANY TIME an LEO approaches you you have the right to demand a statement of probable cause. At any point before or after this (I suggest after) you have the right to ask if you are being detained. If you are not being detained you have the absolute right to leave. Now, some LEO's will resist your insistence of exercising your rights, but it should almost always hold up in court if well represented. Any LEO that is a decent employee of the people will be well aware of these rights.

It’s not “Probable Cause” at that point, but “Reasonable Suspicion”, and the police have the right to hold you for a “Terry Stop” including a Patdown search of your exterior clothing. If they “plainly feel” something that appears to be contraband, they may extract it from your person. In some states you are required to prove your identity to law enforcement upon their request.

You can ask if you are being detained, but if they are detaining you it will be pretty apparent without your asking about it, and you’re more likely to invoke harsher scrutiny. The police can hold you at a “Terry Stop” for “as long as an active and diligent investigation reasonably requires”. This means they can hold you until it becomes an unreasonable amount of time, and by affect becomes an arrest. The problem is there is no clear indication as to how long this time period is, and often has to be decided in a courtroom.

By asking if you are being detained, all your really doing is showing that you feel your being held for an unreasonable amount of time, which may or may not pressure the officer into letting you walk if they feel they cannot find “Probable Cause” before that time has passed and it becomes and unlawful arrest. If they feel they have a high probability of finding something to arrest you for, they will continue to hold you, or even worse, pressuring an officer may cause them to either provoke an incident that causes your arrest, or invent such an incident.

Additionally, they do not have to give you a reason as to why you are being detained, and usually won’t as it may tip their hand about facts of a known crime to a potential suspect. Then to make matter even worse, the legal definition of being “Detained”, and your legal rights during that period, vary from state to state according to that states laws.

Police are also not required to read you your Miranda Rights until you are being formally interrogated. It has become something of a urban legend that they must read you your rights before questioning/detaining you, but that is not true. They are normally allowed to ask you investigatory questions during your “Terry Stop”, things like “what are you doing here at this time of night”, “Do you know how fast you were going”, etc… Anything you say at that point in times is generally admissible in court.

The rest of what you said was…

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by all answers exist

That is the Cops way not the legal 4th amendment way. LEO give me a brake. Cop dont try to call yourself leo

anyway just because the cops do it that way doesn't make it correct. cops have 30 days in community college in how to torture you with the tazer and violate your rights and lie

lawyers need 6-8 years and then pass a bar.

Are Cops elite? now way. do they think they are yes! its not people don't respect authority cops totally corrupt authority but they justify it. watch you tube. they also are not very smart about the law again they do their own thing.

I like to see the Dia or Cia take care of the bad cops out there on you tube. Nazi's

oh yeah remember that lie about illegal wiretap to film a cop. wow what a lie see what they try to pull.

we need to take most of the guns all the tazzers and about 30% of their power put in heavy civilian over site with operating rules and fix the nazi cop problem in this country.

ever read when they dont like what you say they will write, " i hope you never need a cop " another threat what you wont come and do your job.

What some of us special operations guys can handle them selves no cop needed. you cops think your better then others and exactly why??????????? news flash your as human as anyone else and just as scared and week and fragile so stop thinking your special. now firefighters and ems they are true hero's cops are the legal enemy.

If the soldiers in Iraq pull what the cops pull on youtube they be in prison. slaming old people shootings sick. cops kill way more then are hurt. they are so tough but when one dies they all come from all over and cry like babies and demand the public worship them.

give me the 4th amendment.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by all answers exist

LEO's to help you out right

yeah they will help you out all right

shut up with that talk

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

they make up probable cause all the time and never produce the so called caller or complaint all a lie.

they lie lie lie.

they smell something lie

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by airborne82ndscout
cops have 30 days in community college in how to torture you with the tazer and violate your rights and lie

lawyers need 6-8 years and then pass a bar.

Most forces now require a 4-year Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice followed by 6 months or more in a police academy. Most forces have a military hiring preference, so you can add another 6 years to that list.

Originally posted by airborne82ndscout
oh yeah remember that lie about illegal wiretap to film a cop

It is illegal to film an undercover officer as it can blow their cover and put them in harms way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Its illegal to film an undercover officer

If a officer is undercover how would you know it was a officer.

And they would have to prove you knew the person was a undercover .officer.

Sounds like a good way to beat that charge.

If you know you are filming a undercover officer DON"T tell anyone.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Knowingly posting the picture of an undercover officer, obviously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join