It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And So It Begins: Mysterious Illnesses Appearing Along the Gulf Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Gruesome symptoms “I started to vomit brown, and my pee was brown also,” Matsler, a Vietnam veteran who lives in Dauphin Island, said. “I kept that up all day. Then I had a night of sweating and non-stop diarrhea unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.” He was also suffering from skin rashes, nausea, and a sore throat.

disinfo.com

Naman, the chemist who analyzed the sample, said: "We think that it most likely happened due to the presence of either methanol or methane gas or the presence of the dispersant Corexit." "I'm still feeling terrible," Matsler told Al Jazeera recently. "I'm about to go to the doctor again right now. I'm short of breathe, the diarrhea has been real bad, I still have discoloration in my urine, and the day before yesterday, I was coughing up white foam with brown spots in it."

Al Jazeera

----------------

I can only imagine what kind of suffering they are experiencing down in the Gulf. It's already one thing to be effected the most from the oil spill financially, and emotionally. But now, their health is at stake.

And the symptoms do not seem to be anything minor. I just hope we don't start to see any deaths human, or animal life, start to occur.

edit on 28-10-2010 by Oozii because: -

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Is it just that one guy? I probably wouldn't worry unless more people are getting it. He could have some disease he is unaware of....

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

As for Matsler's physical reaction to his exposure, Hugh Kaufman, an EPA whistleblower and analyst, has reported this of the effects of the toxic dispersants:

"We have dolphins that are hemorrhaging. People who work near it are hemorrhaging internally. And that’s what dispersants are supposed to do..."

By the middle of last summer, the Alabama Department of Public Health said that 56 people in Mobile and Baldwin counties had sought treatment for what they believed were oil disaster-related illnesses.

Al Jazeera

It's spreading, even the dolphins are suffering. Hemorrhaging is when one bleeds profusely. The blood vessels start to discharge blood excessively.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It is a matter of how long it takes before a large amount of people (the masses) that had significant exposure to the oil, its byproducts and the corexit get sickness relating to this exposure. Only by media reports will we, the people, know about this. Will the media be silenced as well? Let's hope not. Haven't heard much about BPs renumeration to the victims of the Gulf Of Mexico oil disaster though. Its old news now.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Slightly misleading thread title you'd have to say, as the article mentions 2 or 3 cases of illness at most. Not quite as bad as the title suggests. But none the less, the technician who did the testing seems to have done his homework, and there's no doubt the dispersants BP used are not healthy in any way.

According to Naman, poly-aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from this toxic mix are making people sick. PAHs contain compounds that have been identified as carcinogenic, mutagenic, and teratogenic.

That's not good. There's bound to be more illnesses as it goes on but hopefully nothing that's fatal or that causes permanent harm.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

It is sad to see this all 1 can do is pray that it doesnt develope into something more sever. I read about the discoloration in the urin and vomit and it makes me visualise little oil droplets that have been made lighter in weight due to dispertants that is floating around that region in the atmosphere and being breathed in. And it is not being processed properly by the body respiratory system and digestive system so it comes out in the exit points. I guess a way to check would be to scan the kidneys and bladders and lungs of the ill effected for oil dispertant mix buildup.

S&F

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Excuse my ignorance and I am sure others might want to know this too... But is it the Oil that is causing the 'illnesses' if there are any or the Corexit?

I'm thinking it must be the Corexit as people who work with oil seem to be fine..... am I right?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ahh ok scrap that.... looked at the link and saw

BP dispersants 'causing sickness'

Thanks...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

the Alabama Department of Public Health said that 56 people in Mobile and Baldwin counties had sought treatment for what they believed were oil disaster-related illnesses.

Far more than just a few. I'm not sure if they all experience the same symptoms as mentioned in the first post, but either way, the chemicals are effecting people.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This 4 part vid covers what may very well be the cause--two artificially engineered oil eating bacteria that are proving to be more than bargained for. This man lists off the companies involved, patent numbers--it's a solid theory and well worth a watch.

Here is pt. 1

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

'Believed' is the operative word there. As you pointed out yourself, we don't know exactly what they were suffering from. People get paranoid and all of a sudden every case of cold, food poisoning or any other illness you can think of is related to the Oil spill and cleanup. Until health services there come out and confirm that all those illnesses are a direct result of the dispersants, I'd be skeptical of those numbers.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This lady has been the most outspoken and qualified(imo) expert on the situation and on the scene, so I feel her assessment is a contribution here.
These are all from this week:

Dr. Ricki Ott - Marine Biologist

Peace,
spec

edit on 28-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: add

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is just the beginning, this spill will still be wreaking havoc on the environment and human health for decades. But of course the public's attention span being what it is, deep sea drilling will continue.

If you're looking for some salt to pour in the putrefying wound, here it is.

Halliburton and BP Knew Deepwater Horizon Cement Was Unstable

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
sounds like mass hysteria...... these people are gettin worried and become malnurished and dehydrated.

its gonna become far more common than you would have ever thought,

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This isnt really the first we're hearing of strange illnesses appearing along the gulf, therefore not the beginning. This has been going for quite some time: www.suite101.com...

http://(nolink)/2010/08/15/dr-riki-ott-health-officials-covering-thousands-people-sick-bp-gulf-oil-spill-2977/

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
We certainly expected some aftermath from this disaster, didn't we? I'm sure there is more to come. I'm expecting maybe ten years of oil related issues, whether it is human, animal, plant, or marine life. I just hope it will be manageable, mild, and not as widespread as it could be.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If this is just the one person, I could see how it might be dismissed. However, if there are many, then there's obviously an issue. Either way, this guy needs to try to get as many opinions as he can, as quickly as he can. What I would do is to visit a doctor somewhere other than the immediate area of the spill. If he has a "chemical poisoning" diagnosis from somwhere else, that would strengthen his case.

We'd have to consider, and yes it sounds as though I'm being paranoid, that local doctors might be hushed about reporting something that might make BP more responsible than they already are. It's natural that they might try to downplay the effects of their little oopsy-daisy.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This was posted already
Here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and more here

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

And here to!
Thanks for the info!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
As a resident of Florida, I've been watching and reading as much as I can about this topic. Here are my thoughts about this thread:

I. I doubt these illnesses are from the dispersants (I'm not an expert) because as far as I can tell by doing my own research and talking to some professional friends who do environmental work, dispersants break down within a few weeks of application. You are more likely to get sick from pesticides and cleaners under you kitchen sink.......unless you've had direct contact within the first few weeks.

2. Certainly there are going to be ramifications from this disaster and I don't doubt that sickness is possible, I just don't feel it's the dispersants (just to be clear, I was highly against the use of dispersants so just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not justifying their use)

3. When I watched the Kendra video and saw the sores and listened to her story I had a thought - might be way off, but here goes: could it be possible that there are 2 things going on here - could the gulf situation have been a catalyst for or a distraction in order to apply a biological agent (weapon) along the gulf that would make people sick? I'm talking separate from oil and dispersants. Everyone would automatically assume it was one thing when it could very well be another - just a thought.

I'm pretty open minded about many possibilities, even that this could be caused from dispersants, but I'm also very hesitant to look in the direction that I'm told to look because many things in the world right now are very deceptive and tricky. I feel it's wise to look at various possibilities just so we're not herded into one way of thinking and consequently dooped.

Thanks for sharing this info and so glad to know that there are folks still out there digging - we need to keep our awareness very high and keep sharing new info as it surfaces
Haven't seen or heard of anyone down here in central florida with this type of sickness - I'll keep my eyes open and let you guys know if I do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join