It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake! Anyone else feel shaking??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
bspielburg - That link you provided of the live seismic telemetry is really cool! Thanks! Assuming those telemetry devices are accurately calibrated, they provide enough information to locate this shaker fairly accurately. The fact that all those instruments/arrays are indicating activity does not mean there are lots of earthquakes. They are all detecting the same one(s). A decent seismic station will pick up every reasonable quake anywhere in the world.

When I in the US Air Force operating a Seismic Station near Tehran, Iran, in the 70's I was able to locate that big quake in Peru to within a few kilometers of its actual epicenter while the US GS was announcing on the TV about an earthquake in Argentina. Several hours later the US GS changed their tune and correctly located it in Peru. The military equipment I had over there was way better than the equipment the US GS was using. So my single seismic array on the other side of the world pinpointed that shaker closer than the whole US GS here in the states.

That was kind of cool; I was monitoring the Soviet Nuclear Test ranges...except that at the time my presence there was highly classified and I couldn't tell anyone what I could do. Our presence there is gone and the operation has been declassified, so I can talk about it now without risking jail time.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join