It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

The solution to America's jobs problem lies not with budget-busting federally mandated "stimulus" programs.

Instead, what is needed are specific reforms that wouldn't cost taxpayers, would create a broader tax base for cash-strapped cities and states, and would provide opportunity for millions of Americans who worry where their next paycheck is coming from.

As demonstrated by a series of eight new reports issued in October 2010 by the Virginia-based Institute for Justice, one of the principal obstacles to creating new jobs and entrepreneurial activity in cities across the country is the complex maze of regulations cities and states impose on small businesses. IJ's "city study" reports are filled with real-world examples of specific restrictions that often make it impossible for entrepreneurs to create jobs for themselves, let alone for others.

Is all of this really accurate? A license to start a business, a license to maintain a business and even a license to CLOSE a business!? These irrational and anti-competitive regulations are restricting the freedoms of people all over the US, put in place at the behest of existing businesses to keep out the competition.

What happened to the American dream?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

What happened to the American dream?

Oh the American dream, in the initial phase that requires a license, worker's compensation insurance, business liability insurance, Federal tax ID number to just get to sleep.

Now, I did not include the government steps to get to REM sleep.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It all depends on where you are and what kind of business you want. I am just learning all about starting a small business and it seems to be very complicated. I would like to own my own small business and someday I will but it's a lot of hoops to jump through.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Well, they will soon be taxing us to breathe, so their next move will be to tax our dreams! Who would have thought that being a dreamer would become a crime

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

That's exactly it wuk, they tie people like yourself up in so much red tape that many eventually give up on their dreams. It was John D. Rockefeller who said "Competition is a sin."

I hope you have better luck than poor Chuck

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I am moving out of south Florida after 6 years due to declining conditions and I can't even have a friggin yard sale. That's right. If someone complains or the cops are bored, they can shut me down and order me to acquire a permit. ??????????? $$$$$$$$$

I can't sell my things on eBay because that's subject to sales tax.....AGAIN (not to mention fees which, I understand)
If I want to sell a handkerchief and a letter opener on the Internet, they want yet another piece of those products by way of taxing me....AGAIN. They hit me up when I bought it and now again, when I get rid of it?
???????? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

This system is killing the spirit of its people. Most of us are miserable, worried, hopeless and strung out.
And people STILL say America is the greatest country in the world. I often wonder what they're comparing it to, a jungle in south Africa?

It is our BIRTH right to be free and we are truly nothing more than slaves for the Elite. As soon as we're born, 'they' have at us. You can't even be birth at home ??????????????
What the HELL is going on here folks?

I hope and pray, something huge happens in 2012 because we simply cannot continue on this path.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I understand your frustration. The system (all governmental systems) have been built to fail, but not fail in and of themselves, but they have been built to fail the citizenry. It's a grand matrix of paperwork, red tape and rules designed to beat the average person into submission.

It's a game and so they make the rules, therefore, the only way to get ahead in this game is to know the rules like the back of your hand and use that knowledge against them.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Thanks for commiserating with me!

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear the words: System, programs, construct, design etc, not only do I feel like a slave, but I feel like R2D2 too!
We truly are robotic slaves. Even our DNA's been tampered with.

This world needs to start anew. I mean, how many times can you attempt to build a new structure on quick sand?

What's the old saying? Something like: The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Something like that.
I for one, am finished with this system. Stick a fork in me cause I am done. Fired. Burnt.

Now, if only I can find a nice cave, I can live the rest of my life off the grid and under radar.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I just Love threads as enlightening as this one. Anyone ready for "The Plan" at the bottom of my posts yet?

If your not yet ready, perhaps you will be when the time comes.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It seems as though the system is made for big business.
They have a hard time making that 30% growth each year with all these pesky independents eating into the growth sectors. So what do you do? ->Make the paperwork so economically restrictive and time consuming that the little guy is to busy diving through hoops to really concentrate on the good business practices. The stress and workload acting like a governor on individual prosperity or should I say power.

The new world order wants centralized control not individual freedom. (well at least not outside of their guidelines)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Great post

It seems that F. Scott Fitzgerald was right when he said that "At eighteen our convictions are hills from which we look; at forty-five they are caves in which we hide."

But returning to the caves from whence we came is accepting defeat, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet. Plus, it's dark in there

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Thanks

I wish I had the grace, form, calm, wherewithal, etiquette and poignancy like F. Scott Fitzgerald but all I can come up with (for the future generations) is something like:

"you're all alone....and on your own"
and
" you are phucked...best of luck".

I know, not much of a legacy, but.......I am of the generation whose witnessing rapid degradation! *sigh*
(which way to that cave?)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Remember this every time someone says we live in a free country.

We most certainly do not.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
Remember this every time someone says we live in a free country.

We most certainly do not.

The ones who believe (we're the BESTest and FREEest country) are the ones getting their annual vaccinations (right on schedule), voting (like it matters) ...getting all their licenses and registrations updated (as dictated) and......watching "Dancing with the Stars"and Fox News because, they can!

Ah, what a wonderful country we reside in. Bill O'Reilly and a Big Mac. Life sure is great (pass the bong and Fritos please)
Is it any wonder???

Really?

It's sickening. People are whipped. And those who aren't whipped (me) are one step away from being arrested under some Patriot Act clause or Homeland Security infraction!

Ah man, bring back the 70's. Those were the best (and last good) times on planet Earth. I know we can't (for I am part of reality) so....let the games begin.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

so are all the corporations really evil now there are large and small corporations remember a corporations is just another name for business

now can you people see some of the true reason business moves to china and india everywhere but here

good video and as to accuracy like its been said depends on local and state and federal REGULATIONS.

good find i hope more people what this

edit on 28-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yes, unfortunately is like this. I am a self employed finish carpenter with a business license in GA in the county in which I reside. Technically, if I want to do business in a different county, I am to get a license to be able to work in that county. Same goes with the city etc. I have to provide workman's comp insurance although no one works for me. Due to being self employed, good ole Uncle Sam takes 35% of my pay as I have no one matching. I am allowed write offs, but in the end, you still have to BUY in order to write off a portion of supplies, equipment, mileage etc. and it doesn't even out quite well. The last few years have been so bad in the housing industry that I have not shown a profit and the IRS has told me that if I do not show a profit this year, they will consider what I do to be a "hobby!" A hobby? Previous to the whole housing debacle, I was doing two houses a day.....now I'm lucky to get two a month! Hobby??

With that said, I am reminded of the following that went around the internet a few years back:
Noah's Ark in Today's Society...

The Lord speaks to Noah and says: "In one year, I am going to make it rain and cover the whole Earth with water until all is destroyed. But I want you to save the righteous people and two of every kind of living thing on the Earth. Therefore, I am commanding you to build an Ark."
In a flash of lightning, God delivered the specifications for an Ark.
Fearful and trembling, Noah took the plans and agreed to build the Ark.
"Remember," said the Lord, "You must complete the Ark and bring everything aboard in one year."
Exactly one year later, a fierce storm cloud formed and all the seas of the earth went into a tumult. The Lord saw Noah sitting in his front yard weeping.
"Noah." He shouted, "Where is the Ark?"
"Lord, please forgive me!" cried Noah. "I did my best but there were big problems. First, I had to get a permit for construction and your plans did not comply with the codes. I had to hire an engineering firm and redraw the plans.
Then I got into a fight with OSHA over whether or not the Ark needed a fire sprinkler system and floatation devices.
Then my neighbor objected, claiming I was violating zoning ordinances by building the Ark in my front yard, so I had to get a variance from the city planning commission.
I had problems getting enough wood for the Ark, because there was a ban on cutting trees to protect the Spotted Owl. I finally convinced the U.S. Forest Service that I needed the wood to save the owls.
However, the Fish and Wildlife Service won't let me catch any owls. So, no owls.
The carpenters formed a union and went out on strike. I had to negotiate a settlement with the National Labor Union. Now I have 16 carpenters on the Ark, but still no owls.
When I started rounding up the other animals, I got sued by an animal rights group. They objected to me only taking two of each kind aboard.
Just when I got the suit dismissed, the EPA notified me that I could not complete the Ark without filing an environmental impact statement on your proposed flood. They didn't take very kindly to the idea that they had no jurisdiction over the conduct of the Creator of the universe.
Then the Army Corps of Engineer demanded a map of the proposed new flood plain. I sent them a globe.
Right now, I am trying to resolve a complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that I am practicing discrimination by not taking godless, unbelieving people aboard!
The IRS has seized all my assets, claiming that I'm building the Ark in preparation to flee the country to avoid paying taxes.
I just got a notice from the State that I owe some kind of user tax and failed to register the Ark as a 'recreational water craft.'
Finally the ACLU got the courts to issue an injunction against further construction of the Ark, saying that since God is flooding the earth, it is a religious event and therefore unconstitutional.
I really don't think I can finish the Ark for another 5 or 6 years!" Noah wailed.
The sky began to clear, the sun began to shine and the seas began to calm. A rainbow arched across the sky.
Noah looked up hopefully. "You mean you are not going to destroy the Earth, Lord?"
"No," said the Lord sadly. "The government already has!"

edit on 28-10-2010 by savageheart because: spelling

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

LiveForever8,
I started a business 18 years ago. I encountered many obstacles along the way. I am responding to your post because I want to give you very valuable information. Never doubt yourself. When I began thinking that I wanted to open a small machine shop in 1992 many people I considered friends tried to talk me out of it. As it turns out they really did not have my best interests at heart.

I never lost my focus or let any and all government regulations stand in my way. Sure it is difficult. But if you really want it you can make it happen. You will more than likely have to endure some hardships along the way. If you want it bad enough there are resources out there to help you through it.

When you build your business model through a business plan that will tell you if your idea holds water in your area. It also increases your chances of getting a SBA loan. If you want it bad enough you will have a level of dedication unparalleled to the 8 to 5ers.

I have never regretted the sacrifices I made along the way. There is nothing more exciting than owning your own business and charting your own path. It took about 8 years for it to get traction but it is a success today. By the way, I did not go to collage or any other education past high school. If I can do it I believe that anyone can. All it takes is the courage to look every problem you encounter and refuse to let it stand in your way.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scotticus prime

I absolutely agree that there is nothing like being self employed, your own blood, sweat and tears put into a reality, however, what happens as is the case with me? No one is building houses anymore, there is a lot of product out there that no one wants or can afford. Then what? I can't collect unemployment, I now need to find another viable avenue or, be one of those 8 to 5vers as I have exhausted what I had saved. I can honestly say that I thought I was in one of the best industries, housing, and I never, ever expected it to fold as it has.
edit on 28-10-2010 by savageheart because: illiterate keyboard

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by savageheart

I am really sorry to hear that. There are some things we have no control over. My heart goes out to you and others who are experiencing the same things as you. Try to stay strong and keep looking for a niche within the skill set you possess. Never let anyone or anything cause you to lose sight of you goals. There are many who will try.

I will share a story with you that may inspire you. I had a welder who worked for me a few years ago. He too wanted to open a business that had something to do with welding. This nice young fellow started welding custom home furnishings made from stainless and aluminum. Turned out to be a very successful venture. He branched out to patio coverings. I have seen his work and the kid has a talent for creating custom and unique things. Last I heard he was custom making guy stuff for garages. You just never know.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scotticus prime

I do appreciate the kind words. Of course there is more to my story than just the loss of work, and yes, I am a strong individual when it comes to things such as this. I've lost a house before, lost everything, been through bankruptcy, had the house I'm in now built to specifications 9 years ago......it all comes out in the wash eventually, I will overcome the adversity set before me as I have done in the past.

Getting back on topic though, yes, it is difficult, and yes, just as you and I say, when it's good, it's real good, it can be accomplished.

To every life some rain must fall....I aint gonna let it ruin my picnic though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join