It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest neutron star discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

The discovery of the most massive neutron star could have wide-ranging impacts across several fields of physics and astrophysics. "This neutron star is twice as massive as our Sun. This is surprising, and that much mass means that several theoretical models for the internal composition of neutron stars now are ruled out," said Paul Demorest, of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO).
"This mass measurement also has implications for our understanding of all matter at extremely high densities and many details of nuclear physics," he added.

A neutron star can be several times more dense than an atomic nucleus, and a thimbleful of neutron-star material would weigh more than 500 million tons – making it an ideal case study for studying the most dense and exotic states of matter known to physics.

www.hindustantimes.com...
www.sciencenews.org...
www.scientificamerican.com...

This is a pretty big find for scientists and it is another case of the learning more about our universe as we go. This find actually changes the preheld views that under the huge pressures inside a Neutron star it forms a kind of exoctic matter but the sheer size of this Nuetron star would suggest otherwise and neutrons would probably remain neutrons even under high pressures. And it means there may be revisions in thinking of how all matter in the universe reacts under these pressures.

edit on 28-10-2010 by pazcat because: to add

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

This pretty much proves my point in my "pulsars don't exist" thread.

Of course the star is a binary star because the pulses are not coming from the star spinning around, they are coming from the plasma connection between the star and its white dwarf companion.

Just like Jupiter and Io, only on a larger scale.

www.space.com...

The paired stars are in an orbit almost perfectly edge-on from Earth, making the variation in the distortions of the radio pulses more pronounced, researchers said. Also, the white dwarf is unusually massive for a star of its type, meaning its gravitational field had an especially profound effect on the pulses.

Not surprising.

Io is more dense even than Earth's Moon and in fact is more dense than any other satellite of Jupiter (or any other planet). Gravity is a product of electromagnetic forces, not bending space, and the perceived distortions of the signal can be directly attributed to position of the plasma stream between the star and its companion.

I'm interested in the actual paper with the results they found.

I already know what it will say.

Indeed all pulsar binary systems (which is damn near every one that we can measure) will find the companion star to be ridiculously massive for its perceived size if I am correct in my assertions (which I am).

edit on 28-10-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
That's interesting, I must give that thread a read.

Thanks for alerting me to it.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Don't mean to burst any bubbles but another topic has been made about this subject as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Though a noticeable difference is the amount of links you have and quite a bit more information [going from mnemeth1's post]. The other just seemed to die down. So with these factors coming into play I'm wondering if we may as well just keep this one open instead of the other?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
[Edit]

Something is acting up with my mouse and double clicking things automatically when I simply press it once. So simply editing out my duplicate post.
edit on 29-10-2010 by Gigantea Rosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I guess some people are having trouble with the search function after all the changes.

I do try to find as much info as I can but it was pretty scarce yesterday but it seems to have broken everywhere now. Something tells me mnemeth1 would be able to tell us more, his thread is quite good.

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.usnews.com...
www.nature.com...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here I'll even throw in the picture that is accompanying the articles.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de6ea6dcada6.jpg[/atsimg]

This graphic shows how pulses from neutron star (rear) are slowed as they pass near foreground white dwarf.
edit on 29-10-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Well thankfully this one got left open so it's all good, the picture certainly does help as well. After looking it over and reading some of the links you just left I'm starting to remember a bit more about pulsars (it's been a heck of a week for me). What I am actually most curious about is what shall happen afterwards or rather [now/in the past perhaps? It's hard to state due to the nature of light travel and what we see now versus what is actually happening out there now]. I would also like to add another question as to whether or not the definition of the neutron star would be slightly altered due to this discovery. The fact that it's two times the mass of our sun certainly brings something to the table, but we could expect it to be the same size as all others right? This could get interesting especially if it spins off a multitude of discoveries

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The actual observed electrical interaction between Jupiter and Io:

Plasma Interaction of Io with its Plasma Torus
www.igpp.ucla.edu...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fa7fa530cdd.jpg[/atsimg]

The mechanism of pulsars proposed by Peratt:

Radiation Properties of Pulsar Magnetospheres: Observation, Theory, and Experiment
adsabs.harvard.edu...&SS.227..229H
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24c55c07dd8f.jpg[/atsimg]

The actual cause of the proposed "Shapiro delay":

Relativistic Deflection of Light Near the Sun Using Radio Signals and Visible Light
www.newtonphysics.on.ca...

It is well known that the Sun is surrounded by a plasma and that the velocity of electromagnetic radiation is reduced when moving through such a medium. Radio signals have been observed while going through the solar corona and a corresponding delay has been measured(2). Furthermore, it is well known that the velocity of transmission of a radio signal is also slowed down when traveling through neutral gases, even if that contribution is frequently neglected. The fact that many spectral lines are observed in the solar corona proves that the plasma is not fully ionized. Since the delay produced and observed due to the plasma in the solar corona is not due to general relativity, it must have a different origin. An analysis of that phenomenon is presented in appendix I of this article.

See also Plasma Self-Focusing:
en.wikipedia.org...

Peratt basically described the Jupiter/Io interaction before any actual measurements of the system were taken.

It should be blatantly clear that Peratt's mechanism is the actual cause of pulsars.

There are no "neutron stars" - they don't exist.

They are normal stars emitting radio pulses in exactly the same manner as Jupiter.

edit on 29-10-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
cool find! S & F

new topics

top topics

join