It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Legally Transfers Sovereignty to Iraq - Two Days Early

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I just heard Zarqawi was captured..

Please keep al Zarqawi comments here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thx. Busy news day.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is wonderful news and what a strategically brilliant move on the part of both sides as far as moving the hand-over up. I'm praying for the hostages, but this was an excellent excellent move.

May the Iraqi people be given the chance they so much deserve.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
You've got a happy face like this guy!

I BELIEVE HIS WHOLE BODY IS SMILING!

[edit on 6-28-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If the US has determined they were ready to hand over power to the Iraqi interim government, it was done so with ulterior motives. Although we aren't in Iraq, does this country seem stable enough for the US to pull out?

Will it ever be stable enough? Crimes against US and foriegn (foreign to Iraq) citizens continue to occur.

If they received intelligence that there would be some sort of strike against the US on the 30th, sure, this could have short circuited this plan. However, the US isn't going to be pushed around or rushed into something.

I seriously doubt they are transfering leadership because 1 US Marine was captured and endangered. If so, the families of Nick Berg and Paul Johnson should be irrate.

I beleive there is a greater motivation, although I don't think we will be privy to it.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Bremer sure didn't stick around long:

DefenseLink.mil:
Bremer boarded a helicopter shortly after the ceremony and later left the country aboard a military C-130 Hercules transport plane.

I wonder if the handed control over early because of fears over Bremer's safety.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Could our rush to turn over sovereignty to the Iraqis have anything to do with the fact that the war crimes immunity deal struck with the U.N. ends on July 1, 04? The U.S. has to turn over power to the Iraqis by no later June 30 to protect our soldiers, not to mention the generals and the Bush Light administration from the possibility of being indited for war crimes.

It is thought by many that the DU (Depleted Uranium) bulllets used by our forces has a great possibility of killing the entire Iraqi population within 20 years not to mention what it is/had done to our troops from the first war over there until present. I think murder on that scale and yes, the use of DU is murder due to the knowledge of what the results of using it are, deserves punishment on a grand scale.

Ghostwolfemoon

df1

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
With no doubt this will reduce the loss of life, as I am sure that iraqi militias had violent plans for 6/30. I would like see members of the new iraqi government flown to the UN for some ceremonial reasons for the next few weeks. Removing the likely militia targets from the country will also reduce the loss of life.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I am almost certain they handed over Iraq to avoid any big conflicts on the 30th. This is a good way to avoid any attacks the extremists might have planned for the 30th. This is also great news for the Muslims in Iraq, but I wonder what is going to happen to the Assyrian Christians. I don't think these people have been considered enough and they are the real Iraqis, the first, original people to live in Iraq. Lets see if the new Iraqi government actually helps these people...or will they suffer the same as they did under Saddam?
I guess time will tell.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I really don't understand why everyone's convinced that handing over power two days early is really going to put a damper on the insurgency in Iraq. Everyday life is not changing one bit for the Iraqis. There are still 140,000 American troops raiding houses and attacking militants throughout the country. And there are still plenty of fedayeen who won't hesitate to continue beheading people and setting off huge car bombs.

While the handover eliminates possible targets for the opposition, specifically anyone on the now-defunct Coalition Provisional Authority (and esp. Bremer), the wind isn't taken out of their sails one bit. If an Army barracks is truck-bombed (a la Lebanon) on Wednesday, or if the five hostages under threat of beheading are actually beheaded w/video or photos released, I don't think they'll be disappointed that it didn't coincide with this handover. Just as with September 11, the mujahedeen act at the time and place of their choosing. Symbolic timing is a nice touch, but it's not essential.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This a great day for the Iraqi people. I want to wish them much happiness, and peace.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Oz PM expects Iraq violence will continue

"My concern remains that the violence will go on, I hope over time that it dissipates but I don't think we should have too many expectations that it's going to dissipate immediately," he said.
www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

edit: I hope John Howard is wrong.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
this was a smart move transferring power early and not giving the terrorists a chance do anything because they would have made a lot of bombs on june 30

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Power was transferred because the new govt. was ready. From the beginning, the plan was to remove the threat, ie..Saddam and return control to a responsible govt. by the people. We never intended to retain Iraq as US property as those terrorist sypathizers and political idiots have spouted these long months. From the beginning, the US and coalition forces made no statement that Iraq was going to be easy and always stated its intention was to rid the world of the dictator. It wasn't easy despite one of the most successful initial military campaigns in history. Both sides lost lives. This wasn't surpirising but still regretful. The stated objective has never been lost by coalition leaders despite the media's insightful interpretation. Iraq is not a done deal yet but appears ahead of schedule much to the spite and dismay of terrorist, their sympathizers as well as the politicians who'd trade the mission failure for control any day.

Its a sorry state of events when the fact that a leader's ability to do exactly what he/she says they're going to do is looked upon by the opposition as a political strategy. That goes for all coalition leaders who have precisely planned and executed this campaign and who continue to follow a winning game plan despite the second guessing of those looking from the outside in. Soon, this will be a thing of the past. It'll be done and over with and those left whinning and writhing in hatred about it will be left with no other choice but to move on to some other self-righteous cause.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Astrocreep, I couldn't have said it better. I agree with you 100%.

Violence in Iraq is not going to stop overnight, even after every US soldier is gone. The extremists have been living waging war after war, and they will find some other enemy to fight, but they will never stop calling the US and the West in general, including Europe, the infidels. The conflicts with the extremists have been waging ever since 633 AD, when Muslim Arabs invaded Iraq and attacked the Assyrians, which were/are not Arab. I really do hope that the Iraqis, not the extremists, can find a way to live with the Assyrians and every other ethnic group that lives in Iraq. These people have been needing a true form of government, and not a dictatorship, for a long time. The road is still not clear, but we have made a great step towards it.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Good Question, NameHere:

Why do you think Bremer left his post in...well, such a frigging hurry?!!

The answer is timing: at midnight on June 30th, the "EXEMPTION" clause for the US to be held accountable for WAR CRIMES expires. Not too many people knew that the US had a UN exemption clause in the first place, let alone one that was ready to go away.

So "Mr Bremerman" high-tailed it out of Dodge on the fastest plane he could jump on.

If Bremer still held the reins of power when that "special UN clause" that the US had with the UN "not to be prosecuted" for war crimes should expire, then Mr Bremer would be on a ONE WAY TRIP TO THE HAGUE in a cell next to Mr Milosevic.

The very fact that the US was able to get an "exemption clause" freeing them of all responsibility for 'war crimes and crimes against humanity" from the UN in the first place is a very ugly stain on US claims to "setting a democratic example to the rest of the world..."

If bloody fighting does break out on the 30th "bleeding into " the 1st of July 2004, Mr Bremer is now scot-free from the War Crimes Tribunal.

So much for him. Our concern should be with the carnage that man and his ilk in the White House left behind for the innocent civilians left in Iraq to clean up after Bremer's mess.

Also handing over the sovereignty like that (way too soon) shows that Mr Bush is running scared before election time, and can use the old line "we have given Sovereignty back to the Iraqis..." which is yet another lie since the interim government only has limited sovereign power over its own fate for several more years now.

Ugly mess.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hope they will for REAL give full power to Iraq. I bet Bush will NEVER get out of Iraq because the bastard loves money, and oil makes him money.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Just curious if I'm the only one that sees multiple motivations...

First has already been stated, to try and thwart and terrorist plans for the 30th. I think that should be a given.

But the second, we just came off the opening weekend of Fahrenheit 9/11... C'mon, this is what conspiracies are made of!!! Seriously, I'm not saying it's necessarilly realted to that, but it seems very interesting that on the day when everyone goes back to work and will talk with their co-workers about their weekend (for a few million americans that includes seeing F911), it happens to be the same day that, just prior to half our country's day starting, "they" take away the biggest issue that most people would have. Basically, since Iraq was turned back over, GWB is no longer such a bad guy. Why would we complain about what our government or military did, if they right their wrongs before we can start talkin'?

Eh, I really think the first one makes more sense, but the second is so much more fun.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeus
So "Mr Bremerman" high-tailed it out of Dodge on the fastest plane he could jump on.

If Bremer still held the reins of power when that "special UN clause" that the US had with the UN "not to be prosecuted" for war crimes should expire, then Mr Bremer would be on a ONE WAY TRIP TO THE HAGUE in a cell next to Mr Milosevic.

The original timing would not have allowed that to happen, so your point is moot.

The very fact that the US was able to get an "exemption clause" freeing them of all responsibility for 'war crimes and crimes against humanity" from the UN in the first place is a very ugly stain on US claims to "setting a democratic example to the rest of the world..."

You may as well blame the rest of the world, since the UN granted the exemption, probably out of a feeling of guilt for doing squat to help us while we were in there.

So much for him. Our concern should be with the carnage that man and his ilk in the White House left behind for the innocent civilians left in Iraq to clean up after Bremer's mess.

Mr. Bremer (not Bremerman, as you so disrespectfully called him) worked hard, long hours and days to make this happen within 15 months. He was under constant threat of assasination. He did much to serve his country. Not many men could have done as well. He deserves our thanks, not your childish disrespect.

Mr. Bremer was not over there killing innocent Iraqis and their police force. He was not killing anyone. The insurgents and terrorists committed those acts. But of course, you won't blame them, will you? You'd rather apologize for them.

Also handing over the sovereignty like that (way too soon) shows that Mr Bush is running scared before election time, and can use the old line "we have given Sovereignty back to the Iraqis..." which is yet another lie since the interim government only has limited sovereign power over its own fate for several more years now.

You are the only person saying that the turnover was "way too soon". You seem genuinely unhappy that the turnover happened without incident. Why? Were you looking forward to loud explosions on the 30th, so that you could cry "See! See!"? In other words, did they rain on your little parade?

:shk:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScislaC
Just curious if I'm the only one that sees multiple motivations...

But the second, we just came off the opening weekend of Fahrenheit 9/11... C'mon, this is what conspiracies are made of!!! Seriously, I'm not saying it's necessarilly realted to that, but it seems very interesting that on the day when everyone goes back to work and will talk with their co-workers about their weekend (for a few million americans that includes seeing F911), it happens to be the same day that, just prior to half our country's day starting, "they" take away the biggest issue that most people would have. Basically, since Iraq was turned back over, GWB is no longer such a bad guy. Why would we complain about what our government or military did, if they right their wrongs before we can start talkin'?

Right... the admin sat around and said "Moore's movie is coming out. How are we gonna control the Monday morning water cooler talk? I know! Let's turn over sovereignty two days early! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Oh..but Iraq was the party that suggested the early turnover, so forget that conspiracy theory.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Whwn I heard the nerws this morning, I picked up the paper to to check the date, cuz I thought I lost a few days. It wasnt the 30th.

Me and my roomate watched the news for a bit. We agree, the new govornment is a puppet govornment. Were still in charge. This is just a quick paint job.

The only date I care about is the date the US soldiers get to leave that dump and come home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join