It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

66-Foot Waves Hit New York in Ancient Asteroid Splashdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wow, this is interesting. Imagine what kind of havoc this would have caused if it had hit in modern times. Here are a few snippets from the article:

Now researchers have evidence suggesting that an asteroid roughly 200 yards (183 meters) wide crashed off the coast of New Jersey and sent tsunamis surging toward what is now New York City some 2,300 years ago.

New York City lies at the mouth of the Hudson. When the scientists drilled out tubes of sediment from the New York and New Jersey area, they discovered layers of unusual debris that, they suggest, were laid down by tsunamis.

Within these potential tsunami layers is evidence of a cosmic impact, including shocked minerals and microscopic carbon beads loaded with "nano-diamonds," which are "all things only impacts can do," Abbott said. One candidate for the crater that was produced by this impact, she said, lies in the undersea Carteret Canyon, located roughly 90 miles (150 km) off the coast of New Jersey.

Source:www.livescience.com...

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Interesting. Hmm...if it had hit in modern times we would have people saying it's a sign of the end times and trying to fit the occurrence into some ancient prophecy. As a past event it is merely a matter of scientific interest. I think this is a great post if just to remind us to not panic and see how current events might fit into the natural order of things. Not that I'm writing off all the doomsayers, mind you. I like to just keep open to all the possibilities especially the more mundane ones that aren't as exciting to obsess over.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

66 foot waves are a double sign of the triple antichrist and as it hit within the age of Pices it was part of the end of the astrological age. THE END IS NIGH! REPENT! OH NIBURU, SAVE US!

I wish a wave like that would take out NY and hit wall street.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Wow, this is interesting. Imagine what kind of havoc this would have caused if it had hit in modern times.
1908 is pretty close to modern times in my book and we had an impact in Tunguska of an object about 30-50 meters:

www.spaceref.com...

Earth's upper atmosphere is hit about once a year by asteroids that release energy equivalent to five kilotons of TNT. The object that exploded above Tunguska, Siberia in 1908 was considered 'small' (30 to 50 metres across), yet its energy was big enough to flatten 2,000 square kilometres of forest. It would have completely destroyed a city the size of New York. Brown and his colleagues calculate that Tunguska- like events may occur as frequently as once every 400 years.

We are lucky it hit a remote region, as it would have utterly destroyed a large city, like New York, had it hit there instead, in 1908.

new topics

top topics

join