It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help: Seed buying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hello all,

As of recently I have been purchasing survival gear from your basic tent to water purification.

I have read and read and read the articles of many and I have been preparing from their experiences/knowledge. So I would like to thank all those member for sharing.

Now my question is simple. Am looking for websites where you all have bought/buying seeds from. I would do a Google search but am a bit scared of using my card online (dang identity theft).

Thanks

edit on 27-10-2010 by morf991 because: xtra "a"

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I bought seeds from; Mountain Valley Seeds
www.mvseeds.com
They were $30 a can, wow they are $55 a can now!
I bought a case of 6 back in 2003. I been using them over the past few years.
These are non hybrids seeds. There must be something online that is cheaper.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Buy your seeds in store, using cash. Make sure you buy seeds for multiple seasons (summer, fall, winter). Store them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid (you can get them in the paint department @ Home Depot). Most crops take around 60-80 days to grow and germinate, so leave yourself enough rations to fill in this gap.
You should also learn how to make your own filter-ready charcoal (not the same as fire pit charcoal). Those tablets and filters won't last long, and you may need to think indefinite survival.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
These places have a good reputation.

www.richters.com...

www.stokeseeds.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
www.rareseeds.com

These guys are really great and have a wonderful selection of open pollinated seeds that you can save seed from.
Good Luck!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If you are worried about it, buy a $25 or $50 dollar prepaid visa from the store, and just use the remaining balance next time at the grocery store or something.

This way the only thing you are giving away is your address.

I also use a fictitious name so I don't get attached to a mailing list somewhere with my real name.

Paypal is also an option, but then you are giving the company your real name, address and email, they ARE building a customer list, and they CAN sell the list to as many people as they can.

I do it for a living. lol

Whenever you get an ebook or anything for free, you just have to give your name and address and/or email address to send it to... They are building a list. Same with if you buy something online.

It's not new, when you take your car into the shop, they keep your name address and phone number on file to send you junk mail about fall specials and oil changes. This is where that's evolved.

Same with the endless enter to win a new PS3, just give us your email address. That's what's evolved from the car sitting in the mall and you write down your real name, phone number, addresses ect because if you win you want the car!

Well a marketing company put that car there, and once their list is big enough, and they can sell it for much more than the car, they give it to someone and get a new car for the next round.

You can email any email address you want with any offer you want, as long as you have an option for them to unsubscribe which then they MUST be taken off the list. This is what the CANSPAM act did. As long as you have the option, and it works, EVERYTHING is fair game.

The more email addresses you have, the more money you make from them and the more you can sell the lists to other marketers for, who are going to spam the crap out of the people, after you're done with them.

Damn marketing!
edit on 27-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I know you asked about seeds but I was able to get some great strains of edible mushroom starter kits from Paul Staments over at Fungi Perfecti, LLC www.fungi.com...

I was able to get a few harvest from them and viable spores for the next round. The shi'taki and portabella were really good! I will try to find a pic or 2 of em.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I was thinking of starting a thread on this, as I've recently realized how much I want to start growing my own food as soon as possible.

Of course, certain plants can't be grown everywhere, so I guess I'll be learning a lot this coming year..

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
gurney's seeds. I have bought there for 12+ years and as a kid my family used them I dont know for sure but I have never had any spam or email from someone that I dont know because of them.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i know the man who runs these sites personally. you can ask him anything hes great, he sends you free how to videos, growing guides, seed saving guides. his names justin, if you ask him he will send you free samplers too.

all non-gmo, 95%+ germination rate. heirloom.

his sites are

www.stockpileseeds.com...

and www.totalfoodsecurity.com

i have my can sitting in the freezer right now. hes even got medicinal plant and some more stuff.

if you buy them at the store they will likely be sterile hybrid seeds that only work one time.
edit on 27-10-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

It really depends on where you live. I'm in AZ, and there a couple of companies here who sell seeds that have adapted (naturally) to the multiple types of climate zones we have here, all heirloom non-GMO. For example, if they observe that a particular strain of squash seed does better in the desert (high heat, sandy soil), they will save the seeds from that plant, as opposed to those that didn't do well, and replant the strong seeds. Repeating this process over time, they naturally develop into the strongest plants for each different area and then make them available to the public en masse.

I suggest you try to find companies in your area that sells seeds that have been locally (and organically) developed and tested to grow best in the area you'll be in a long-term survival situation... or where you will be when you head for the hills in some 2012 scenario. As for myself, I have a decent collection of seeds that have done very well down in the desert where I live, but I also have some that would grow best in the east-central part of the state, which is heavily forested and experiences very cold temperatures, etc. This is where I'd go in the event of the apocalypse or when the NWO gets down to their end game. Local seeds would also be a valuable trading commodity with anyone you happen to bump into along your journey.

And by buying local you're supporting your local economy, which I'm a big fan of.
edit on 10/27/10 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Woa, Thanks for the info ladies and gents, much appreciated.
I will be looking into all these sites.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I actually started a thread about seeds. A lot of people added links to it. I hope this helps.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The best method of obtaining food would be to buy a mushroom growing kit and mushrooms grow very fast don't need light and will be good survival food and trade food.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This is the best and cleanest place Ive found.

www.survivalistseeds.com...

100% Certified to be Open Pollinated, Non Hybrid and Non GMO seeds, do everything by hand: gardening, saving seed, packaging and shipping,*These heirloom vegetable seeds will last a decade when kept dry and dark. Never freeze seeds. Heirloom seeds typically lose about 1% germination per year, enabling approx. 90% to germinate after a decade.

This one I found for medical Herb Garden
www.everlastingseeds.com...

new topics

top topics

join