It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USGS Geophysicist: "There's something down there that we don't know about"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Rare earthquake in Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta puzzles experts

Article Link

It was a small earthquake, measuring just 3.1 on the Richter scale, but its location in the heart of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta has experts buzzing.

The Oct. 15 quake was centered 7 miles northwest of Lathrop, on Union Island. No faults are known to exist in that area, where earthquakes are rare.

The temblor could offer new insights on safety issues in the Delta, where concerns about flood protection and water quality during a major quake have been growing. It is also a reminder that many mysteries lurk below ground – even in California, a nucleus of earthquake research.

"It was a surprise to us," said Jack Boatwright, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park who is studying the quake. "There's something down there that we don't know about."

Area of mysterious earthquake - Lathrop, CA

In short, the location of this quake being in the delta, there is a huge risk that if a large enough earthquake occurs (6.5 or more) the levees holding back salt water from the bay could break and flood the entire delta/valley area under water. Basically, Katrina/New Orleans part 2.

The article goes on with statements from the Geophysicist admitting they have no idea what kinds of faults are under the delta. Well, now they know of one...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I find it odd that there is no existing data on faults that may exist. I mean in todays technological age we should be able to scan them from space. Either way S&F OP
interesting read.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We get earthquakes in the UK sometimes, although they are extremely rare, and very weak. From what I've heard they are the reverberations of another quake elsewhere in the world. Maybe that's what this could be?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

That sounds logical to me aswell.
2nd

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It actually sounds like they originally didn't think there were any faults in that area. So this earthquake was a wake-up call that they better stop assuming and start checking. That area has a LOT of crop lands - that valley produces a lot of food for the U.S. If it gets flooded with salt water, it would be ruined and have an impact on food prices/supplies.

new topics

top topics

join