It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Real-Time NOT in Real-Time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I noticed this with other threads when the change occured.

It seemed like the front page topics stayed there much longer, even though they weren't getting much action after a while.

I didn't really care that much about it, but now I seem to have proof?

I posted a thread this morning, and it at this time has 11 flags.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92c8fef26607.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's the link so you can look for yourselves. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now here is what the "Real-Time" newest topics with flags says.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dd117ff5b81.jpg[/atsimg]

As you can see, that thread has more flags than the ones at the bottom of the list, it should be somewhere in the middle.

It's a newer thread with more flags, and the list is supposed to be "Newest topics getting flags, in real-time"

It seems to be the most flagged new thread this morning as the others on the list are all 9+ hours old.

Is it just me, or is it not real-time?

It's me isn't it? lol
edit on 27-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's not you, it is ATS. I've noticed it too, except with the firehoses page. Sometimes it'll sit with the same thread on the top for about an hour, and when I go to recent posts, there are new things in there that are not yet in the firehoses page.

Now once I've gone through the firehoses that came in overnight, I just go to the recent posts page, because otherwise I don't get the newest stuff.

Same with where it tells you how many people have posted on a thread. Last night I went to one that said only 1 reply, yet there was 9 replies. I refreshed the firehose page, and it stayed the same, older page that still said only 1 reply.

Still glitches in the system, it seems.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I agree fully.

Sadly there are lots of threads that members are finding interesting that are slipping through the cracks after this last update.

All day long it happens.

This is also what's effecting the slow turnover of front page topics.

That and the fact that they took the top new threads off the front page.

It's almost like you have to be an Admin to hit the front page now, or have the thread approved by one.........

I use to be able to do it regularly. lol

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No mod's or admin's have any ideas of what's going on?

Is this a problem you already know about?

Is it being fixed?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
By the way the thread now has 17 flags, which makes all but one on the list older with less flags.

FYI.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Here is another thread, strangely about the same topic, that is also not on the list despite having more than enough flags to be on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyone else seeing this too or am I crazy?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Surely quite a few mods and admins have seen this by now.

I've shown 2 threads that have big flag counts from today that are not showing up on the "real-time" new threads with most flags.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Still no mod or admins??

I bet if I post a racist thread a mod or admin would appear immediately.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So I take it this is a known and seemingly loved glitch?

Anyone?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
WHY IS THIS BEING IGNORED BY MODS AND ADMIN?!?!

edit on 29-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

Maybe you could u2u a mod to get an answer. I noticed this issue right after the "real time" pages were introduced and mentioned it several times in the thread about the new changes. No response about it though.
I haven't even been going to those pages since the first week they have been up for that very reason. You know, it's like why even put it up if it isn't "real time"? Or maybe a name change for that page?

All I use now are the same things I have always used: Recent Posts and MyATS.

edit on 10/29/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It seems that many members have noticed it.

I don't really have a problem with it, but it lets a lot more threads slip through the cracks.

Ones that fellow members have flagged more than the "most flagged" threads.

As you can see in my thread from the OP, it suddenly appeared the "newest most flagged list" once it was 2nd on the list. Then it was no longer considered new.

It's almost as if there's a button someone's got to press to approve this new thread to make it onto the lists...

Also, please remember I also posted a thread of the same topic, with more flags and newer than the ones on the "new most flagged" list.

Why has the new update seemingly select threads to promote at random? Or is it random?
edit on 29-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You know there's a thread in mod land about this.

lol

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Daily bump while the mods/admin discuss this elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thank you bringing this up

have you tried the "Mod Call" ??

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

Apparently you're not understanding the key nature of the Real Time page. At the top, it states: "A convenient real-time, constantly updated (without page-refreshing) list of the newest topics, new topics receiving member flags, and the new topics receiving member replies."

The page only shows new threads. If a thread posted more than 12-hours ago receives flags or replies, it no longer appears on the page, as it's focused on the newest threads, not all threads.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You actually just supported the OP's concern, because the thread was only 3 hours old at the time. It was posted at 11:41am on 10/27, and this thread was posted at 1:58pm on 10/27, 3 hours later. So that is clearly under the 12 hour rule.

Seems like this is a problem in that the real time update isn't behaving as you described or expect it to.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Eek, never mind, i think i misunderstood.

edit on 31 Oct 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

ETA: Thinking about this a little more, in the old days of the previous layout there were always some forums that behaved strangely and weren't included as part of some lists. The "Political Ideology" forum was one of those if I remember correctly. Perhaps some forums aren't recognized by the 'real time' feature due to code eccentricities. I'm probably way off on this but I thought I'd throw it out there.
edit on 31 Oct 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Jeanius

Apparently you're not understanding the key nature of the Real Time page. At the top, it states: "A convenient real-time, constantly updated (without page-refreshing) list of the newest topics, new topics receiving member flags, and the new topics receiving member replies."

The page only shows new threads. If a thread posted more than 12-hours ago receives flags or replies, it no longer appears on the page, as it's focused on the newest threads, not all threads.

Thank you SO for coming in and saying something.

I was losing faith in the mods and admin for what seemed to be purposefully ignoring this glitch and thread after days of not even as much as a post of acknowledgment.

And like the poster above said, the thread was only 3 hours old, and throughout the day, even when it was well over 30+ flags in under 12 hours, it never showed up on the list.

It never made it on that list for the whole twelve hours.

Neither did the other thread from a different member which touched upon the same subject, though he had almost as many flags as me and was 20 mins or so newer than mine.

Now that we know that this is a problem, by your own accord, and could be what is making the front page turnover so slow, is this a "bug" we should expect to be fixed by your crack team of experts so the threads that members think are important, and flag it so others will see it, will be seen?
edit on 31-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
I was losing faith in the mods and admin for what seemed to be purposefully ignoring this glitch and thread after days of not even as much as a post of acknowledgment.

It's not possible to be aware of every thread as it happens.

Since the supposed problem threads are now old, it's impossible to tell if there's a problem for troubleshooting. Thus far, everything seems correct with the page.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join