It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Many Many Death of PC Gaming.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
kerlol.

Also note the freakish woman who says pc is WoW. Abby Heppe, just another G4 eye candy, not a true gamer, especially if she talks about WoW, the casual gamers MMO.She's just a "gurrrl" for nerds to drool over and increase G4 ratings.

I know people enjoy online social network doll dress up.

Top of the line PC gaming costs money, I mean a graphics card can cost as much or double the price of a console all of which are old as dirt now.

Imagine using a 5yr old graphics card... YECK!

Consoles do have some alright games that come out that are console only however any time there is a PC counter part its better.

edit on 27-10-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I agree that PC games have always been better and more versatile. Think about the web TV's and other s#$t companies are beginning to market. I keep on reading about how the Internet itself is doomed (though I don't thoroughly believe it) which will hurt PC sales in the future. The idiot box always has a way of winning the American mind over.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Used to be a pc gamer since carmack's commander keen and wolfenstein 3d and doom 1 until sometime after battlefield 2 came out.

The only problem pc gaming has is the constant upgrades, the whole deal, because there comes a time every while that you have to upgrade the whole motherboard just to get and upgraded video card.

It has its market, there are people still keeping up with the upgrades. I would assume that prices will go down once there's not much demand. Either that or it will disappear altogether.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ok Lys,

I fully back up your argument here - but couldn't you have picked a better second video?

My wife just went to bed after the first and so I rooked around for the headphones and there was no music or sound!!!

Apart from that - yeah. PC games pwn!!

See typos don't come from microphones!!

-m0r

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I have to agree PC gaming is far superior to anything console.

A PC is completely scalable where a console is what it is until it dies or you throw it into a wall.

Has anyone checked out a good core i7 system with a couple radeons on it lately?
I'm not someone who spends all hours of the day playing games. For me it's usually in the winter when I dont have anything else to do. But I am always able to fond something really good that captivates me.

I just bought a submarine sim the other day called silent hunter 5 which is a ww2 u boat sim.
I absolutely love it and the graphics are nothing short of incredible. A console would never be able to do it the way my PC does.

All the console BS is easily traceable back to the console manufacturers. but in reality it is consoles that will disappear.With the global economy tanking and stalling people arent going to be willing to drop 500+ bucks on a console every year or two...but everyone already has a PC...and always will.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I use my PC for any game that I'd want to play on my XBOX. Playing on the PC gives you the exact same game with Windows Live instead of XBOX Live, I use my XBOX controller still, and play with MUCH better graphics.

HOWEVER, my setup is not even a year old, bought it last Black Friday.

Quad Core, 2 ATI 4850 graphics cards in crossfire, 2 10k Raptor hard drives, ect.

And it's already obsolete!

Now the i7 processors are out, Direct X 11 video cards are out, and now SSD drives are where it's at and hard drives, no matter how fast they spin, are old.

With my Xbox and PS3, I never have to upgrade. In 5-10 years after I buy them, a new one comes out.

With my PC, it seems like each year a new graphics card comes out or a new Direct X platform which means if you want the best graphics you have to upgrade at least your video cards each year, which is as much or more than a console. And they make you feel bad, like asking "do you want to turn on Direct X 11?" Knowing that you can't and knowing you're missing out on something.

IN SHORT: PC gaming is for people who can't play the games they want to play on any other platform, or are serious about gaming and want the best experience they can. If you're just a casual gamer... BUY A CONSOLE!
edit on 27-10-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wait a minute! Abby Heppe is eye candy? When did this happen?

As for the topic at hand, Console Gaming is just more user friendly. Especially since consoles got online. Once the next Gen Gaming hits, PC gaming will be extinct all together, minding some small "time killer" games that appear free online. The link being an example and one of my faves.

www.addictinggames.com...

There's a consistency with consoling that isn't present on a PC. I dunno. Maybe I'm a little bias. I owned an atari and a Commadore 64, and the Commadore wasn't competing with the Atari. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

ok abbie herpes is attempted eye candy
edit on 27-10-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
kerlol.

not a true gamer, especially if she talks about WoW, the casual gamers MMO.

Confused about this statement

If you play WoW you're not a true gamer?
I consider casual gaming playing a FPS like Call of Duty and finishing the content in a day or two.

What would be a hardcore gamers MMO, EVE online, Original EQ?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
playing a plethora of games.

not just online doll dress up.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
it dies and it comes from the dead, the fact is, companies are in for the profit rather than the advancement of the media, they go where the money is, regarding the update game, well, that is capitalism, and only if you want to be a phony trendsetter will you absolutely want the latest.

My PC could be considered old, but the fact is it can still run every game out there at a decent resolution, I believe that games should be more than a collection of eyecandy set pieces, they should help in the development of coordination skills and first of all for me, have a decent amount of intellectual challenges, some casual gamers and console users just want their quick fix, they just want to be taken away for 20 mins out of their daily toil.

I remember reading an article from Maxis saying that Sim City had tucked itself in an ugly corner, too complicated for newbies, too many things to do and keep track of, not appealing to the usual button smasher.

They have been dumbing down video games and entertainment in general, they just want us to be able to either shoot a gun, or just match colors with buttons, PC gaming has been evolving in small privately owned labs, small companies that become too successful are dismantled and assimilated, just so they cannot continue to get in the way of business, we have to support the small developers, and continue to demand worthwhile software that gives us something in return, I'm only dreaming of course, but at least I support the small developer, I need more from my entertainment , and only a pc has been able to provide, consoles simply put, just want my money and in return they just regurgitate more of the same....

But as a wise man once said, to each its own poison!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Arcania: Gothic 4 is total dumbing down, its god awful.

Risen is the true Gothic 4.

new topics

top topics

join