It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent Farewell and the Siberian Pipeline Explosion-1982 (Great read)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Around Halloween 1982, an explosion occurred in the middle of Siberia, vaporizing a large segment of the newly-built trans-Siberian pipeline. The explosion –which was reported to be 1/7 the magnitude of the nuclear weapons dropped on Japan during WWII– severely damaged the pipeline, which was set to produce $8 Billion in petroleum revenue annually for the USSR. Only recently has this silently successful CIA operation been disclosed to the public.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e18bacd605f.jpg[/atsimg]
The tale begins with agent “Farewell,” Vladimir Vetrov, a Colonel who served as one of the heads of the KGB Directorate tasked with stealing Western technology.

In 1981, disillusioned by Soviet life, Vetrov suddenly sent French Intelligence, le Direction de la Surveillance du Territoire (DST) – a collection of over 4,000 pages of highly classified Soviet documents pertaining to industrial espionage ventures. It was immediately clear that the intelligence was vital. The data included the names of 250 KGB agents (located abroad and well covered), tasked with stealing Western technology, but the most useful item was a “wish list:” the technologies most sought by the Soviet intelligence.

At a summit in Ottawa in July 1981, French President Mitterrand shared the intelligence with President Reagan, and by August, the intelligence was in the hands of the CIA. The files, which were “incredibly explicit,” showed that for years, the KGB had been expertly infiltrating US factories, government agencies and laboratories to steal technology needed by the Soviet Union.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/141168f9129d.jpg[/atsimg]
French President Francois Mitterrand and US President Ronald Reagan
Source: nsarchive.wordpress.com...

Additional info I found:

1982 -- Soviet gas pipeline. Operatives working for the Central Intelligence Agency allegedly plant a bug in a Canadian computer system purchased to control the trans-Siberian gas pipeline. The Soviets had obtained the system as part of a wide-ranging effort to covertly purchase or steal sensitive U.S. technology. The CIA reportedly found out about the program and decided to make it backfire with equipment that would pass Soviet inspection and then fail once in operation. The resulting event is reportedly the largest non-nuclear explosion in the planet's history.

Source: blogannath.blogspot.com...

And a little Youtube clip I found for the Movie!:

Well, I never heard of this one. Sound like a made for movie. And it was. I haven't seen it but may check it out.
Sounds all Cold Warish to me. Great work on the CIA and Gov't end of things. Nice to know we were responsible for it-an event that lead to the USSR's demise. I wonder if the folks responsible will get credit.
have any of you ever heard of this being a CIA mission etc? Appreciate the input-in advance.

Here is a better pic of the spy-our pal.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7f7bd957573.jpg[/atsimg]
KGB Colonel Vladimir Vetrov (in his better days)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Wow! Good stuff.

I want to read more and find out just how the explosion occurred. Seems like it would take more than an equipment failure to cause such a huge catastrophe.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Im glad you liked it and want to learn more about it.

If/when I see the movie-I'll update the post.

Hoping to this weekend but the wife just downloaded on me-so that isn't looking good anymore ugh....

join