It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mommy Brain: It's Not What You Think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
THE GIST

* Good news for new moms: Parts of your brain actually grow after birth.
* Post-partum brain changes give moms the motivation to take care of their babies.
* The findings could eventually help women who fail to bond with their babies after birth.

news.discovery.com...

Very interesting article suggesting that a part of the brain is actually responsible for the "maternal instinct" and that this part doesn't develop until after childbirth. This may explain the postpartum depression in brains where this is under developed and bonding fails to occur. I hope someone gets a copy of this to Tom Cruise.
Considering all the things we ingest and are exposed to from birth on, it seems likely that many women could have deficits within the brain that lead to under development of these important areas.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

First off, thanks for the article! Its really an interesting find.

Honestly, the idea of a mother's brain changing in response to giving birth makes a whole lot of sense. I've always been apprehensive about becoming a parent because I've never considered myself to have that "motherly gene" that seems to make mothers able to withstand caring for an infant in addition to everything else in their lives.

It also begs to question, if the female's brain changes so significantly in response to giving birth, are parents of adopted newborns, or parents who have their child via surrogacy inhibited, or even unable to handle an infant as skillfully as a child born of the mother?

Not to sound like I hate children, but the idea of having to care for a helpless baby that poops and vomits everywhere, never stops crying, and turns life into utter chaos has never been that appealing to me. I want kids though, so I'd be interested to see where this discovery leads in helping children and their parents bond.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by zelaar

It also begs to question, if the female's brain changes so significantly in response to giving birth, are parents of adopted newborns, or parents who have their child via surrogacy inhibited, or even unable to handle an infant as skillfully as a child born of the mother?

That was my question as well.

And what of those women who are very "motherly" without ever giving birth? There are women who are essential magnets for children and babies (and animals!), whom the children naturally pull towards and feel safe around.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zelaar

"It also begs to question, if the female's brain changes so significantly in response to giving birth, are parents of adopted newborns, or parents who have their child via surrogacy inhibited, or even unable to handle an infant as skillfully as a child born of the mother? "

Very good question. One would think that the stimulation for hypothalamus, prefrontal cortex and amygdala regions growth must be due to hormones produced during pregnancy. Perhaps some sort of hormone replacement or enhancement therapy would aid such circumstances as you described above.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I suppose another question that can be asked is whether or not this implies that people are strictly nothing more than the chemical balances in their brains. It said in the article that the changes were permanent. Bam! Motherly mode activated! What if you want kids but don't want your brain to be permanently modified? What if you like the way you are right now?

When it comes down to it, the hormones are changing how your brain works, just like prescription and illegal drugs can. The purpose of the change is apparent, but is it always a good thing? Just because the change is naturally occurring, doesn't mean its always beneficial.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cherryontop
Very good question. One would think that the stimulation for hypothalamus, prefrontal cortex and amygdala regions growth must be due to hormones produced during pregnancy. Perhaps some sort of hormone replacement or enhancement therapy would aid such circumstances as you described above.

Another consideration is whether or not these hormonal changes are artificially created by medications that are commonly used by unwitting females throughout the developed world. Birth control in particular springs to mind.

The article talks about how pregnant women feel fuzzy and spacey, which is also a side effect seen in the vast majority of women who are on birth control. Personally, I stopped taking birth control because I couldn't stand how forgetful it made me.

I also take a medicine that causes an increase in my prolactin levels - which are usually only elevated directly prior and after a woman gives birth. I just thought I was being wonky at the time or that it was a reaction to my boyfriend moving in with me, but after starting the medication I had an almost UNCONTROLLABLE urge to nurture something - anything. It was actually very stressful because I didn't know what to do and found myself desperately wanting a cat. I never considered that my wanting a cat could have been because my brain actually thought it should be taking care of a baby! I managed not to get a cat - much to my boyfriends relief, but its an interesting coincidence. The same thing occurred when I tried a similar medication in the past, and I ended up buying a parakeet.

Maybe my brain has already undergone the motherly transformation?

edit on 27-10-2010 by zelaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zelaar

I guess if you want motherhood without the brain changes, then surrogacy and adoption, as you mentioned, would be viable options. However, it would be interesting to find out if the portions of the brains responsible for risky behavior, such as skydiving, bungee jumping, etc, are quelled in the process of this maternal instinct enhancement.

It would seem logical that a new mothers drive to do anything that risks taking her away from the job of caring for her newborn would also need to be altered.

If you like your brain just as it is, and feel that way about your body too, then surrogacy is def for you because honestly, the brain changes are the least of your worries during pregnancy.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Another consideration is whether or not these hormonal changes are artificially created by medications that are commonly used by unwitting females throughout the developed world. Birth control in particular springs to mind.

The article talks about how pregnant women feel fuzzy and spacey, which is also a side effect seen in the vast majority of women who are on birth control. Personally, I stopped taking birth control because I couldn't stand how forgetful it made me.

I also take a medicine that causes an increase in my prolactin levels - which are usually only elevated directly prior and after a woman gives birth. I just thought I was being wonky at the time or that it was a reaction to my boyfriend moving in with me, but after starting the medication I had an almost UNCONTROLLABLE urge to nurture something - anything. It was actually very stressful because I didn't know what to do and found myself desperately wanting a cat. I never considered that my wanting a cat could have been because my brain actually thought it should be taking care of a baby! I managed not to get a cat - much to my boyfriends relief, but its an interesting coincidence. The same thing occurred when I tried a similar medication in the past, and I ended up buying a parakeet.
edit on 27-10-2010 by zelaar because: (no reason given)

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

My pleasure. It seems more than applicable to the topic, so I figured it may be informative. However, if that's what having a baby is like, the Super Mom impulses seem to wear off once the brain realizes that there isn't a baby that needs taking care of. Either that, or, despite the brains changes, the mother acclimates to her new brain and the effects are less apparent once the child is older.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
All I know is that people who do not have children will never understand the love between a parent and a child until they have their own children. That's why it drives me crazy when people (especially women) say their pet is their child. It's not even remotely close to the same thing! Thanks for the article.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sportbominable
All I know is that people who do not have children will never understand the love between a parent and a child until they have their own children. That's why it drives me crazy when people (especially women) say their pet is their child. It's not even remotely close to the same thing! Thanks for the article.
You're right, its not the same thing.. under normal circumstances. If something is affecting the hormones in your brain to make you get a little loopy. In nature its not unheard of for a mother to adopt in animals of a different parent or species after having lost her own soon after giving birth. I see no reason why a human mother can't do the same thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sportbominable

I think Zelaar explained it pretty well a few posts ago about that urge to nurture. Some people have an extreme need to do this, whether it is physiological, or psychological, the source doesn't really matter, and the thing that one chooses to nurture, doesn't either.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Honestly, the idea of a mother's brain changing in response to giving birth makes a whole lot of sense. I've always been apprehensive about becoming a parent because I've never considered myself to have that "motherly gene" that seems to make mothers able to withstand caring for an infant in addition to everything else in their lives.

Not to sound like I hate children, but the idea of having to care for a helpless baby that poops and vomits everywhere, never stops crying, and turns life into utter chaos has never been that appealing to me. I want kids though, so I'd be interested to see where this discovery leads in helping children and their parents bond.

I felt the change at first I wanted to run out the door,then my babies became my life,and wouldn't go back.It sounds as though you would be a good mother just from the fact that you think about it,I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't take your life away it adds so much more to it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Thank you for the compliment. I don't view being a parent as a bad thing, and actually plan to have around 2 children. However, I will likely have mine and my husband's children carried via a surrogate mother, unless there are some major advances in medicine fit my standards for me to safely carry a child. Because of the seriousness of the decision between carrying my children, or having somebody else, I try to find as much information on the pros and cons of each choice as it applies to my situation.

I've been told I'd be a good mother by a decent number of friends, but they haven't really taken into account my lack of patience.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zelaar

patience is a process that is learned over periods of time,I think if you go into it with the idea of guiding your children through life as opposed to telling them what to do makes all the difference even as small children given the appropriate choice learn to make the right choice,things like that become clearer when faced with the responsibility of another life.........good luck to you and your husband,life can be beautiful

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Thank you.
I sort of have an idea as to what parenting is like from playing mom and dad in high school to 2 of my 3 younger siblings when my mom was really sick and my dad was overworked. Also, I'm not quite married yet, but am engaged to be engaged - so pretty much I'm a fiance once my boy's parents can handle the concept.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Nature better give you some way to deal with 2-3 hour crying spells and a little man who wants to be held all the time. Honestly, if something in my brain has changed since birth I can't sense it at all.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

THE GIST

* Good news for new moms: Parts of your brain actually grow after birth.
* Post-partum brain changes give moms the motivation to take care of their babies.
* The findings could eventually help women who fail to bond with their babies after birth.

news.discovery.com...

Very interesting article suggesting that a part of the brain is actually responsible for the "maternal instinct" and that this part doesn't develop until after childbirth. This may explain the postpartum depression in brains where this is under developed and bonding fails to occur. I hope someone gets a copy of this to Tom Cruise.
Considering all the things we ingest and are exposed to from birth on, it seems likely that many women could have deficits within the brain that lead to under development of these important areas.
somehow this article doesn't surprise me a bit not only because of the bonding(which is the best)but its like you get a 6or7th sense,your senses are heightened all around,hearing especially and gets fined tuned.Intuition kicks in as well if you didn't have it already and I believe it happens with fathers,not as much or the same way.Nature does take care of its own if we listen.

top topics

join