It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Quitter's Apology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Good for you man! The first few weeks are HARD but after that, the cravings go away for the most part. I quit on March 16th and although I have had a few while having some drinks, I have managed to stay off them with those few exceptions. I keep telling myself that today is day one again everyday. I started running to help get over them as well. On June 13th of this year, I ran my first 10k race and although I missed my personal goal by 12 seconds, I did it.
Just take it one day at a time schro. You can do it. And if you have a smoke, the next day is day one again. Everyday day is day one again.

Just keep trying, you can do it.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Just remember this.

After 72 hours of non smoking, your body releases all of the harmful toxins and is free of nicotine. From there life becomes much easier.

Remember, the restlessness and mood swings and (for me) wierd dreams and lack of sleep all go away after 3-5 days of quitting. You begin to feel well, your body feels something for the first time in ages - a clean breath of fresh air. You no longer wheez, your clothing, your skin and your environment begin to smell clean. Your mind becomes clearer.

You wont feel crappy forever, it is only temporary. Make it through the first 5 days and from there the physical addiction dissipates and from there it is only a mental obstacle.

You are home free. Hang in there

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I don't know if I agree about the mind feeling clearer... that's the one thing I miss about smoking. When I was trying to really put my mind to something I'd sit back and light up a smoke and it always helped me to focus. When I first went back to college it helped me through a lot of math and chemistry classes. Since the day I quit my mind has been in a sort of fog in comparison. After 10 years without cigarettes this has still not changed. Not trying to talk anybody out of quitting cigarettes, it's still the best thing I ever did for myself.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

After 72 hours of non smoking, your body releases all of the harmful toxins and is free of nicotine. From there life becomes much easier.

SDog, I second this statement. The third day may be the toughest, but hang in there and you'll find that it begins to ease up thereafter. Vigorous exercise (or sex -- talk about a great distraction!), lots of water with lemon and hot, steamy showers will help release those toxins, too. Hmmm...you could combine the three.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just wanted to chime back in to keep the encouragement up! I just finished my morning smoke and coffee and I am still amazed at how we can start our glorious day by sucking on over 500 chemicals! It is utter madness imo, because I am about to go on a jog, I'm having a healthy breakfast and lunch and I will get a little meditation in too. All those good things but the first thing is to poison myself a little each day.

Spare yourself the trickery SD, be strong and fight hard if you have to! I am too, but not today
(they got me)

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well good luck with the quitting, man.
It is something that I have given up on for the time being myself, since I truly enjoy smoking and previous attempts to quit were only half-hearted for me.
Just don't become one of those recently quit "nazi's" that berate everyone else that still smokes.

edit on 10/29/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Have you started smoking again?

From what I've been told, you need to have a genuine desire to knock nicotine addiction on the head otherwise any attempt to quit is futile.

In other words, you must really want to quit - and that's not the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

Have you started smoking again?

No I have not.

In other words, you must really want to quit - and that's not the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

I'll attempt to calibrate my vibe output and or frequency to compensate for any confusion.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Don't hurt 'em, Hammer.

Hang in there, man. I know you can.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I'll attempt to calibrate my vibe output and or frequency to compensate for any confusion.

Excellent!

When you have given up, please spare a thought for us poor mortals and share the secret of your success.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
... share the secret of your success.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c31c516f7c1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Meh. I didn't have real desire to quit at the time. I woke up with no smokes and said to hell with it, maybe I'll try quiting. 7 1/2 months later, I ain't too bad. It would have been a lot easier to just start smoking again.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Wasabi peas?! This is the beautiful thing about ATS, you really do learn something new everyday.

Looking up wasabi on wikipedia, I was amused to see that a spray made from it is utilized in smoke alarms for deaf people. Has this humble vegetable declared itself smokes nemesis?

Got a smoke related problem? Roll out the wasabi!

edit on Sat, 30 Oct 2010 03:32:38 -0500 by Silver Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

This is nothing to do with smoking but as it was bought up.

Most Wasabi that you get in the UK / America isn't actually Wasabi it's a mixture of Horseradish and Mustard with green colouring added.

The real stuff is pretty expensive and not that common outside of Japan
edit on 30-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Well, if the thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent it sure is a bizarre one. Talk about random.

I really had no idea of the existence of Wasabi. I'd like to try the stuff now. What a shame it's hard and expensive to get hold of it.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This site says that it can send you the real stuff, you have to get it fedexed over night and it costs $99 a pound

I think you can get the real stuff if you go to a VERY good sushi restaurant, wasabi is mainly used with sushi

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Have you ever tried our electronic cigarattes. I am sure that over time they will help you quit the habit.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

sir,

I applaude your attempt at quitting.

I cannot say I have read everything you have written here on ATS but from what I have digested, I find it improbable that anything other than rational and intelligent discourse will be produced by you in the future..

GOOD LUCK quitting

and oh yeh..love the new avatar !

~meathead

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Good luck my friend, I have been there, you might think of all the money you will save, don't know what a pack costs in your area but my friend in Brooklyn is paying $13.00 plus a pack, yikes

I am still smoking, maybe 6-7 cigs a day, when I made the decision to not smoke in my apartment a year ago today and have to go down 10 flights to get outside that really helped, I was smoking two packs a day. It's funny in that I still reach for a non-existent cig that used to sit on my desk, now they are on a little shelf near my entrance, I also stopped smoking in my car.

My thouhgts are with you.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Just want4ed to say good luck, I am proud of you, and stay strong! This is one case where its a good to be a quitter.

It takes thirty days to break a habit, and thirty days to build new pathways in your brain for a new habit.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join