It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Quitter's Apology

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I just wanted to make a little thread to apologize in advance for what is bound to be a rather volatile mood over the next few weeks. Basically as of this past morning I quit a 25 year smoking habit ... the last 15 years of which have seen me smoke almost 2 packs per day.

So I'm going to be cranky!

Those who have either quit or have tried to quit, and those unfortunate enough to be around them know this well enough.

I'm really not trying to draw attention to it per se, nor am I looking for justification or trying to provide excuses, I just found myself somewhat pre-menstrual today, which is rather unusual as am, by all accounts, a boy ... and wanted you guys to know that it's not personal.

Anyhoot, it's not a T&C issue or anything, it's just that I might come off as strangely aggressive or snippy at times and I just wanted any who care to know that I mean no harm to anyone or anything, I'm just struggling with what is probably the most challenging personal battle I have ever confronted. I'm struggling a lot ... I'm bouncing off the walls and don't know what to do with myself.

Also I'm taking the Chantix, and given the fact that I stopped taking any kind of pharmaceuticals a year ago, it's also messing with me a little.

So I'm sorry to members and staff alike if I have said or might say something the wrong way, it hasn't and it won't be meant that way ... I love all the peoples!

Cheers!

edit on 26 Oct 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

No worries, I know exactly what its like trying to give up tobacco. That is precisely why I am still smoking it

Nicotine is meant to be one of the if not the most addictive substances known to man. Which I guess is probably why it used to be so heavily promoted and is now so heavily taxed

Good luck on your quest, I feel for you

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hey Quitter!

glad to hear you've given up smoking...I'm a non-smoker myself, never understood why anyone would begin in the first place. But lots of my friends have been held deep in the clutches of nicotine addiction, so I've seen how hard it can be to quit. Power to ya! I hope it goes well for you. Maybe other ATSers can offer you support too.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Good luck to you. I quit smoking regular cigarettes a couple years ago. I tried to give up tobacco completely and did so for about a year. Then for whatever reason I started having a bit of a cigar once in a while. Now that has turned into sort of "maintenance hits" to keep the nicotine bitchies away
but I still feel a ton better than I did when I was smoking a pack or two of camel lights a day. 22 year habit there. I'd like to get off that crutch too but I feel weak now about it. I suppose the time will come again.

One thing that helped a lot breaking the cigarette habit though was to hold a pencil when my hands wanted something to do and would normally be holding a cigarette, flicking ashes etc. Orange juice or grapefruit juice helped deter cravings. Drink a lot of water too.

I also found that when an excruciating craving came upon me that doing some very physical exercise would help a ton. Even if it's just for a few minutes- do some push ups or skip rope or something. Yoga also helps.

Done with unsolicited advice now, heh. Again, good luck

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I know how rough it can be. I quite for 7 years once. The first couple of weeks the employees stayed out of my way. I was a manager of a large building supply center at the time. I gained about 15lbs and stopped desiring regular coffee.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support.

Argh, I'm going to have to find a way to cope with this ... it gets harder and harder as the day goes on.
I'm thinking that I might want to avoid the ATS in the evenings ... not only because I don't want to be snippy or rude to anyone, but also because surfing the site cigarette in hand is/was one of the most deeply engrained association triggers in me.

The whole thing seems so daunting ... one second at a time I guess.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i heard of heroine user say it was a piece of cake quitting that compared to cigs...i've tried soooo many times but cant seem to get away...until recently since im now unemployed i can't bring myself to spend almost 7 bucks on a pack of smokes when i cant even afford my medication...i resorted to dipping (still need the nicotine) but my lungs feel better! they say after a month or so you start producing the endorphins again that the nicotine makes you quit producing...hold out, you can do it!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Hey!... Is that two UFO orbs over the right shoulder of your dog avatar?? Just kidding...

So, you've taken the first step...now what? I'll tell you what I did after 18 years of 2 packs of cigs a day. (I quit when smoking was still "cool" and cigs costed $1.35 a pack) First off, I bought 1 carton of cigs and put it in the dresser. Just knowing they were there helped for some reason. Then I found that I needed to replace my old habbit with something close to smoking, but easier to quit if i wanted. I tried chewing tobacco and luckily it was too nasty for my to handle. I found that sun flower seeds did the trick for me. It was something that I could put in my mouth all the time and would not kill me or my pocket book!! Then, I felt I needed to get in a hobby that I had never done before that would not remind me of having a smoke all the time and still keep me busy. I got rid of the carton of cigs eventually and have never looked back since.

You're not a Quitter, you are a Doer, and good for you!!

P.S. I hope you have room for an extra 10 lbs or so...lol

edit on 10/27/2010 by CAT Master because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I recently quit smoking in February of this year. I had just come back from my doctors office where I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Bladder cancer is one disease that can be directly associated with cigarette smoking. The determination to live a healthier lifestyle was what got me over the hump. I began eating healthier and taking better care of myself. I have had surgery since then, and just went back for my 3 month checkup. No recurrance yet, but bladder cancer is one that returns again and again. It's the gift that keeps on giving and giving. As my husband always says "we all quit smoking at some point, you might as well do it when you are alive!" I am glad you have quit, and hope you keep strong. Nothing is worth going to the doctor and getting a diagnosis of cancer from something as stupid as lighting a tiny trash fire just inches from your face! Stick it out! Being cranky is a small price to pay for years added to your life! Good luck!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Good luck, man.

I'm still not even considering quitting an option at this point, so you have far more determination than I.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This is what did it for me Dog.

My brother sent this to me in an email one day, and it made me take a hard look at what I was doing to myself. It woke me up, so maybe it will do the same for you.

There are over 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette, many of them are some of the most poisonous substances known to man. Here are a few

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

No reasonable, rational, intelligent person with a clear mind can look at this list of deadly toxins and still keep on puffing away.

You made the right choice. It gets easier as you go, do not think you will feel this way forever. Soon you will be able to breathe again, you will smell things again, you will feel great in knowing that you made a decision to help save your own life.

Congrats

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
There is a herb called Coltsfoot you can buy in dried form and smoke as an alternative to tobacco. It is a traditional remedy for coughs, sore throats and ailments of that nature.

www.safesupplements.co.uk...

I used the stuff myself when I tried to give up and it really, really helped. Perfect for when I just HAD to smoke something.

A word of warning - Coltsfoot may in itself cause health problems so it is only really suitable for short term use. Also, avoid it if you are an alcoholic or you are breastfeeding.

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Good Luck I am at the 8 week mark, tho i do feel I have cheated as I am using an Electronic Cigarette... and have no cravings/grumpy moments (at the moment) while I work down on the nicotine levels to zero.

I have to admit it has changed my life, my partner no longer looks like she'll vomit when I kiss her, and I can sit at my desk at smoke, go out for a meal and enjoy a smoke with my coffee, and blow smoke rings on aeroplanes.

My only issue is that I enjoy doing the things I've not done as a smoker in such a long time that I am worried I'll get addicted to this new stick.. hope not.. besides I have no idea if this is as harmful as smoking, *shrugs* but right now it really helps... and I'm enjoying not feeling so isolated in society and getting some of my tastebuds back to

Good Luck
hope the ride is not to rough for you.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Hey Sdog~

Just popping in to say "good for you!". I tried to quit recently and, after several days, took the habit back up. What a horrible addiction smoking is...

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Good luck with your endeavour!

I quite for just over a month a little while ago and got to the point where I stopped thinking about smoking, then I had a particularly bad day (my car broke down, the bus I got on then broke down and I ended up walking 4 miles in the rain while being told my car would cost hundreds to fix) and thought, just one won't hurt.
Went and bought a 10 pack and have been smoking again ever since.
edit on 27-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and your support ...

I'm feeling much better today, everything's back to normal.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Keep at it.
I chewed through about 5 dozen pens and untold pencils, toothpix, and straws. Yes for me having something in my mouth to knaw on during work hours did help a little. The Hot pot of coffee plus a smoke was a very hard association to clear.

edit on 27-10-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Good luck schrodingers dog.

I tried Chantix about a year ago, made me horribly nauseated. May want to get some peppermint candy or some pepto and keep it handy.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hey S Dog, just keep at it. I know it's what everyone else is saying, but it's the best advice. If it's your first time, you may slip back, but when that happens give yourself a stern talking to each time you have a cig. Then remember how it felt that 4th day when you woke up. How easy it was to get out of bed. How better you felt until that first craving. That's how you could feel every day.

It's a tough thing to do, but after around a week or so you will forget it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Good look S-Dog. Quitting is the easy part. Staying with it is the toughest. Mark Twain said it best.

"It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join