It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Indian superbug reported for first time in Israel (NDM-1)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Deadly Indian superbug reported for first time in Israel (NDM-1)

www.haaretz.com

Tel Aviv hospital quarantines woman infected with NDM-1 bacterium, resistant to antibiotics and the cause of deaths worldwide. A deadly 'superbug' impervious to antibiotics has been detected for the first time in Israel.

Doctors at the Sheba hospital outside Tel Aviv say they have detected signs of the New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase 1 – commonly known as NDM-1 – in the past few days.

A woman who took ill in India had brought the bug back with her, the hospital said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
First time I hear pr read about NDM-1 virus, which seems already killed people in United Kingdom, Belgium and France!

Woops - and story goes...

"This resistant form of bacteria is very significant, as once it has entered the body, it is almost impossible to treat," Carmeli said. "As far as we can tell, it is transmitted from person to person, which is why it was decided to isolate the patient."

It really doesnt sound good - are we now in raised pandemic level? Have anyone read or hear about this superbug before? It really sounds like biological weapon, used in India - Pakistan conflict... And now out of hands.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This sounds awfully familiar to me. Did this not show up in the news a few months ago? I specifically remember it but can't remember when it was.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sooo... who has she seen and where has she gone before they found out she had the super bug?
This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'll be watching this one closely

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
- Are we already in "code red?"

New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 US states

BOSTON – An infectious-disease nightmare is unfolding: A new gene that can turn many types of bacteria into superbugs resistant to nearly all antibiotics has sickened people in three states and is popping up all over the world, health officials reported Monday.

The US cases and two others in Canada all involve people who had recently received medical care in India, where the problem is widespread. A British medical journal revealed the risk last month in an article which described dozens of cases in Britain in people who had gone to India for medical procedures.

How many deaths the gene may have caused is unknown; there is no central tracking of such cases. So far, the gene has mostly been found in bacteria that cause gut or urinary infections.

"It's a great concern," because drug resistance has been rising and few new antibiotics are in development, said Dr. M. Lindsay Grayson, director of infectious diseases at the University of Melbourne in Australia. "It's just a matter of time" until the gene spreads more widely person-to-person, he said.

Grayson heads an American Society for Microbiology conference in Boston, which was buzzing with reports of the gene, called NDM-1 and named for New Delhi.

www.jpost.com...

1st instance of 'superbug' detected in Israel

The woman, who reportedly brought the bug back to Israel with her, was placed in quarantine at Sheba Hostpital at Tel Hashomer when doctors confirmed that she had the "New Deli" bug, Channel 10 reported. India is an overpopulated country that overuses antibiotics and has widespread diarrheal disease and many people without clean water. US doctors have tried treating some of these cases with combinations of antibiotics, hoping that will be more effective than individual ones are. Some have resorted to using polymyxins — antibiotics used in the 1950s and '60s that were unpopular because they can harm the kidneys.

www.jpost.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Its not a virus, nor a bacteria... its an enzyme that makes a bacteria (any of them) super resistant to antibiotics. Just to clear that one out.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Its not a virus, nor a bacteria... its an enzyme that makes a bacteria (any of them) super resistant to antibiotics. Just to clear that one out.

how acutate is that
an enzime being transfered between people?
what is the enzimes purpose in nature?

xp

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Aparently the bug is not resistant to at least three antibiotics....
The death toll is minim al so far, and it is hardly in the pandemic stage yet.

www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Sounds a bit suspect from the start.
A gene that creates superbugs,
Traced from Foreign Private Hospitals where rich vain people fly in and out for plastic surgury.

How easy would it be for a potential patient,
researching some procedures in India,
to visit and drop off a new batch of bacteria into these hospitals?

Quick flight in;
Visit a few hospitals;
Leave a present;
Fly back home (?US/German research lab?).
Wait for the international jetset to spread it for you.

Swine Flu, and other man-bear-pig viruses kindly brought to you by WHO & big Pharma
(when you start curing all regular diseases, you just gotta make some new ones to keep R&D,Production & Marketing, & logistics units all profitable).

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
NDM-1 was in the news a few months back. It was in India and maybe one other country last I had heard anything. All I know is this sounds like some lab created menace that is being spread. the atrocities out of Ft.Detrick and Edgewood Arsenal are the stuff of nightmares. I thought the mutating open cell Brucellosis one that Jim Marrs was talking about was screwed up but this NDM-1 makes MRSA look ok. I know Manuka honey has showed results against MRSA and Orthomolecular doses of Vitamin C are anti-viral,anti-bacterial,anti-fungal,and anti-pyretic. they should try some inravenal Vitamin C, at least 20,000 mg on a drip.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

No let's call for the big drug companies to F'n give us those cures which they already have for this BS they created themselves.

This time for free please, stop sucking the money out of us dry.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't mean to hate or anything, but it's October now. Which, means for a lot of folks it's about to start getting cold. Which, also means that tons of reports of new illnesses should be rolling in. Pretty routine stuff around here, but I'll stop by and see if anything interesting breaks from this, as no one wants to catch a potentially fatal disease.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ANSPHAR

That was it. Thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Heh....wondering when it will be classified as an anti-semitic superbug.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

I see that it's also being reported in today's MSM:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"LONDON — A deadly superbug was found in about a quarter of water samples taken from drinking supplies and puddles on the streets of New Delhi, according to a new study."

--------------------------------------------------

The question I have is; how is this getting into puddles of water. Is it due to the sanitation (or lack thereof) in India, or by rainfall? If it's in the environment, does that mean the food supply is contaminated? Not sure of what water and such is used for crop irrigation and such. If it's in the food supply, this looks like pandemic opportunities.

Other posters mentioned that this is an enzyme issue. I wonder if diet affects the efficacy of how people are able to deal with this bug. If you're eating a SAD (Standard American Diet), does this make you more or less suscpetable to being hit with this superbug, for example. If you're healthy and eating lots of nutrients, can your body fend this off?

Not sure any studies are available - searches I did provided little information except the MSM fluff about it being a 'problem' without a solution.

new topics

top topics

join