It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Metals MORE Valuable Than GOLD!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Gold tends to be all the rage in times of economic uncertainty. Investors flock to the "yellow metal" when things go sour because they see it as a safe haven for their money until they feel better about venturing back into things they view as riskier, like common stocks and real estate.

Such a strategy can actually be very dangerous, though. When gold or any other investment becomes too popular, it raises the risk of a "bubble" - unsustainably high prices that could suddenly plummet, losing investors a lot of money very quickly.

That doesn't mean you should avoid gold altogether; just don't put most or all of your money into it. There are lots of other precious metals, and many could be considered better investments than gold because they're more versatile and aren't such strong objects of investor sentiment. Here are five metals that may be an alternative to look at besides gold.

Copper

This is one of the most versatile metals. It's used to make electrical wiring, car batteries, microchip circuitry, pipes for plumbing in homes and commercial buildings, roof flashing, gutters, musical instruments and solar power cells. Copper can also be mixed with other metals to make valuable alloys such as bronze, pewter and brass.

Zinc

Like copper, zinc is present in many alloys (in fact, zinc and copper are both in brass and bronze). Zinc is also important for die-casting, galvanizing and rubber making and can be used as a paint pigment, wood preservative and agricultural fungicide. As a dietary supplement, it is thought to have antioxidant properties that speed healing and slow aging.

Silver

Besides its well-known uses in making jewelry, silverware and coins, silver is in dental fillings, architectural glass and hearing aids. Some musical instruments are made of silver or silver alloys and silver is used to produce formaldehyde. Because it has antibacterial and antifungal properties, it is included in catheters and other medical devices to reduce the risk of infection. It is even added to socks to help control bacteria-related foot odor.

Platinum

As a primarily industrial metal, platinum plays the role of catalyst in the processing of petroleum and chemicals such as nitric acid, fertilizers and synthetic fibers. It is also a vital component of high-voltage wires, magnetic coatings for high-density hard disk drives, fiber optics, fiberglass, catalytic converters and spark plugs.

Palladium

Like platinum and silver, palladium plays key roles in the dental, chemical and auto fields. iPhones and other electronics might not even exist if it weren't for palladium. Also known as "white gold," palladium is used to make jewelry and watches, too.

Why They're Worthy Investments

Precious metals with lots of different uses make attractive long-term investments. These metals are more apt to appreciate and hang on to their value over time because they're vital to industries around the world. However, you can expect their prices to fluctuate greatly from week to week and month to month, just like most other investments.

Gold really isn't the greatest investment for the long haul because its price often depends mainly on how people feel. It may rise a lot when investors are nervous and want something that seems safe. But it can very quickly lose value when investors start feeling bolder and begin venturing into other areas. Sentiment certainly plays a role in the value of other precious metals, but not to the extent that it does with gold.

How to Invest In Precious Metals

Precious metals are generally available as coins or bullion. However, most people invest in them by purchasing stock in the associated mining companies or buying shares of mutual funds or exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that specialize in one or more metals.

Be careful when investing in precious metals. Because they can be very volatile in the short-term, it's best not to over-represent them in your portfolio. Keep the portion reasonable – 4 to 10 per cent of your overall portfolio, for example - so you can enjoy the shine without undue risk.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You're right about that! A few years back, I was buying gold and silver at what seemed like just the right times. Then I decided to buy some platinum @ $2000/oz., and after a few months it took a nose-dive. It still hasn't gotten back up.

I keep a lot of copper and aluminum in an old shed. One day, I'll get around to buying a furnace to melt it into ingots. Then I'll get some chemicals to refine some of this scrap gold I have.

What I'd really should invest in are pharmaceuticals. My mother has to get a cancer drug shot once a month. It costs about $9000 for a 15 cc shot! What is the price per ounce on that?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It is difficult at best to actually walk into a bank or other institution in canada and walk out with gold or other metals...
Id like to see a smple market where one could simply pay for it and walk out with it in his hand.
Though i did make one attempt to buy siver from a bank, it was very ineffectual as they never did manage top get me any.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
It is difficult at best to actually walk into a bank or other institution in canada and walk out with gold or other metals...
Id like to see a smple market where one could simply pay for it and walk out with it in his hand.
Though i did make one attempt to buy siver from a bank, it was very ineffectual as they never did manage top get me any.

you can buddy,just look for somewhere that sell south Africian kugrants. they used to be easy enough to get.
gold has gone through the roof.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It is very simple. I am not hawking this particular company but there are others that do the same thing. Google Blanchard & Company. Call the 800 number and you will be put in touch with an account executive. You can set up an account in about ten minutes. Tell them what you are interested in and you will get a quote. Wire them the money and they ship it right to your door. I purchased silver and got it in less than a week. Seamless tranaction.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join