It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC reporting that NASA is looking into settling other planets.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
They said that at some point in the future we will be hit by a planet killer asteroid. Almost a guarantee. So they are starting a program to look into settling other planets to preserve the human race. Intresting concept. The reporter compared it to the colonization of the west hundreds of years ago. Also they mentioned we want to have people on mars within 20 years. Which is news to me, but pretty cool.

Anyway. Any thoughts on settling other planets? Supposedly this is doable within 100 years..

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
lol. i've been saying the exact same thing here on ats for years. truth is, it's the only way to guarantee that our species, and any others we bring with us, survive in the long run. we have to get to it though.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Post the link please?

Also, i wonder who would be allowed to go on the mission?

I mean.. Would we have a mission of noahs arc with blacks/whites/asians/hispanics?

Maybe 12 people from each race? Maybe 100 people from each country that could pay a certian amount of money?

Who knows

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We will not be hit by no asteroid, i bet the planet is already protected, thats just bull.

On topic, i would join up straight away for a 1 way ship of this world, and i would assume that i would not be alone in thinking that.

Shame really people on the outside of society that have no real place with all the scum, cannot have somewhere to go.

Maybe in teh future, peopel like us, will have an opportunity to get away from life on here, but too late for us.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Ill see if I can find it, It was actully a 3 minute segment on the TV.

Good point.. I imagine only people that can contribute alot to the society, at first anyways. Untill they establish a working system and everything is smoothed out. Then the rest pay if they wanna go. Hopefully by the time we need to evacuate they would do it for free... But could you imagine if there was like an uprising? In between colonization and the "impending" asteroid. Then the rest of us here get screwed over because they dont let anyone else in :s
If we tax the new planet, we better give them representation, thats all I gotta say hahaha

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
When I read the thread title I geeked out. That's right, I can admit it.
Space exploration always has that effect on me.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah I have a feeling there is stuff in place allready, might just be a ploy to get the funding for this type of endeavor. I would be right there with you for a chance off of here. Love my planet, even my state.. but Im an adventurous person.. couldn't pass that up

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
it's likely impossible for just 20 years to make mars as a place to live...

i will believe this kind of plan if NASA capable landing a human in a mars first....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Yeah, maybe..If not from a planet killer, probally from over population or us destroying ever thing...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Me to!!! (well when I saw it on TV)

Was looking for news about the volcano and heard them mention settling other planets. I was like, uhh the volcano will still be doing whatever its doing in ten minutes.. gotta watch this!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by riverbank

Yeah, that seems a little bit presumptuous.. seems how we have to get there first. Maybe we should practice on the moon first.. course we would have to land on the moon first....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanyo
reply to post by riverbank

Yeah, that seems a little bit presumptuous.. seems how we have to get there first. Maybe we should practice on the moon first.. course we would have to land on the moon first....

I wouldnt recommend colonizing on the moon if case of some sort of catastrophe on Earth. I would want to get as far away as possible. Mars likely woldnt be affected by anything on the Earth as the moon may if the event is traumatic enough.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Very true, sorry, I ment more just like getting the process down, so if there is any issues help isnt 20 lightyears away, or even 8 months. Kinda like a dry run so to speak. But good point, if something hit the earth the moon would more then likely see some debris, or get hit by the crap coming with the big one

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanyo
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah I have a feeling there is stuff in place allready, might just be a ploy to get the funding for this type of endeavor. I would be right there with you for a chance off of here. Love my planet, even my state.. but Im an adventurous person.. couldn't pass that up

Exactly, russia and usa will have worked together to make sure this is teh first thing earth is protected from.

I would not worry about an asteroid hitting. Humans are nasty enough to find a way to stop it if they try, but i would think we already have it, just like many things we will not be told.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Living on Mars in 20 year or so.

www.abc.net.au...

www.wired.com...

www.aolnews.com... article/to-boldly-go-to-new-worlds-nasa-announces-100-year-starship/19683450
edit on 26-10-2010 by Sanity Lost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Ah your awesome!!! Thank you soooo much, I was just on the MSNBC site an couldn't find crap. Weird because they reported it, but ya.
Thanks again!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It would be absolutely pointless to colonize unless we were able to effectively terraform any given planet... So your on mars in you're colony and the earth blows up, where are you getting your resources and technologies from to start the human race over?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Good point. I just assumed that any colonization project would have to include terra forming or massive green houses. You'd have to be completely self sufficient.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has a clue as to how much a planet to planet call will cost?

Seems like they should just put this to better use like a space station type deal that can actually find one that could be more compatible for us to use. Mars seems pretty crazy to me.

edit on 10/26/2010 by Connman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Good point. Youd prolly have to record a video and upload it to a thing and the supply ships would
Take it to the colony on their resupplies. Much like a letter. But because it's digital it takes way less space.

Well theoretically if you can terra form a planet it should be hospitable. Atmosphere,plants and the like

top topics

<<   2 >>

join