It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden: "Every single great idea in the last 200 years has required government vision and incentive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Government has no ideas, only theft and force.

Stealing from one group of people to fund another necessarily means that the group that is stolen from has less money for research and development.

Thus, research is directed away from where the market would allocate it to where bureaucrats want it allocated.

The ultimate result of this is to stagnate growth and modernization.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

did the government fund bill gates? no

personally i have never received any research grant maybe you have but not me

private industry would have gotten us into space why they didnt? the us federal government playing god

a person trying to make his tomorrow better than his yesterday isnt greedy no matter how much you think it is and if they want to make a profit for the future then its his right.

really man who are you to be define what is excess to someone else its his work and his sweat that has gotten them there.

you clearly have a cummunist take on life people arent allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labors and only government has the right to money or the right to call them the best thing that has ever happened to society.

it doesnt work the way you think it never has.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Why? Its not something that is hard to find, do it yourself.

Click on google yourself and type in unofficial unemployment rate. There you will find it ranging from around 15% up to around 20%.

See how easy that was?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Yeah, because allowing for research into cures for ALS with just a little bit of money that might have gone towards...market research for a company to alter the logo on the cap of their beer bottle...is really a bad thing.

It's honestly not stagnation. Market forces don't tend towards academic research, academia tends to have to get support in spite of it.

You do realize that American academia would collapse if the government didn't provide research grants and public universities, right?

And do you realize what the implications of that would be? We'd be set back more than a few decades.

reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96

did the government fund bill gates? no

Did Bill Gates receive any contracts from government? Yes.

Did he come from an already wealthy family? Yes.

personally i have never received any research grant maybe you have but not me

Well, I'm not a research scientist.
And I'm not in any industry that would receive contracts from government.

But you know what? We've been conversing over something created by government.

private industry would have gotten us into space why they didnt? the us federal government playing god

How did the government play god? They didn't specifically prevent private travel to space.

Hell, the closest private industry has gotten is breaking escape velocity, they can't even achieve orbit.

Why? Because it's probably financially unsustainable. The only people that would pay for it would take single trips, not multiple ones.

a person trying to make his tomorrow better than his yesterday isnt greedy no matter how much you think it is and if they want to make a profit for the future then its his right.

Well, that isn't necessity. You said necessity is the mother of invention. You incorrectly used a quote after talking simply about making money, not about making their future better.

Everyone does deserve to make their future better. The problem is that capitalism doesn't tend towards societal growth in all instances. It can tend to financial concentration towards only that which is profitable.

Research science? Not profitable.

really man who are you to be define what is excess to someone else its his work and his sweat that has gotten them there.

Really?
So you think success only comes in the form of people who have put in a lot of hard work?
What about all of the people who simply were given great circumstances? Bill Gates may have put in a lot of hard work, but he would have hardly been in the same position had he not been born into wealth.

you clearly have a cummunist take on life people arent allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labors and only government has the right to money or the right to call them the best thing that has ever happened to society.

Wow, bad spelling and a straw man.

I don't believe any of that.

it doesnt work the way you think it never has.

No, it doesn't work the way you think I think it works.

I don't think it works that way.

reply to post by Becoming

If it's so easy, why did you bother wasting a reply on telling me to google it myself?

If you are discussing an issue with someone and you provide a number, you provide the evidence. You don't tell someone else to find the evidence to support your numbers.

That's just the logical way a debate has to work out.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Actually man, a liberally biased network, known as 60 minutes did the report, here is the short version: www.sodahead.com...

By the way, a debate between two or more people requires nothing more than the freedom of speech, your not gonna reference every item within a conversation are you? If so, you'd definably be a bore~

edit on 26-10-2010 by 2Rotten4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The market directs research dollars to where there is the greatest market demand.

If the market doesn't fund ALS research it is because the research dollars might be better put to use searching for a cure for cancer.

There is a finite amount of resources in an economy - money that is put to use searching for an ALS cure is necessarily NOT put to use funding cancer research.

The economy can not do both at the same time if the resources do not exists for this to occur.

Politicians can not magically create additional resources out of thin air.

Because bureaucrats are directing research rather than the market, the greatest needs of the economy go left unfulfilled.

Robbing people to pay politically connected research institutions results in stagnant growth and misdirected resources.

Violence can not solve complex social problems.

edit on 26-10-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The truly great ideas are the ones that get suppressed by the government, its vision, and its incentive.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Violence can not solve complex social problems.

Interesting avatar. Violence requires taxes. Taxes require complex social problems.

I do not condone violence.

edit on 26-10-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The Wright Brothers used their own money.
www.economicthinking.org...

Moon travel costs lots of money due to huge government regulations.
www.asi.org...

Many of the Thomas Edison inventions were substantial improvements to existing products that were not marketable. In this regard, Edison was as much an entrepreneur as he was an inventor. These improvements allowed many of the Thomas Edison inventions to be successfully commercialized.
inventors.about.com...

centristnetblog.com...

Most of the great ideas did not come from government agencies

edit on 27-10-2010 by nadeau because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2010 by nadeau because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Antilock brakes:
Invented: Privately in 1929 for airplanes
In mass production for cars: Chrysler, 1971
Government mandate: Recently beginning to be required

Airbags:
Invented: Privately in 1953
In mass production for cars: Ford and GM, early 70s, some use in 60s
Government mandate: US in 1984 for 1989 cars

Center brake light:
Invented: Unknown, most likely by Ford
In mass production for cars: Ford, 1968 optional; Oldsmobile, 1971 standard
Government mandate: US, 1986

Crumple zones:
Invented: Mercedes, 1952
In mass production for cars: Mercedes, 1955
Government mandate: US, 1967

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Plenty of tollways have EZPass or a similar system, negating the need to stop at tollbooths.

Not a bad idea actually.

You are right I must concede. But they didn't have EZPasses years ago. So in reality it would have taken many years to have the interstate that operated privately without a headache.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Hey Joe! You want to tell that to a few guys named Wozniack, Jobs and Gates, to name a few.

I will add,Edison,Firestone, Fulton and Ford.

Need to start calling Biden,'Smoking Joe" because he definitely is smoking something.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

"keep the Senate and win the House."

i thought the dems had both of them already...wtf?

this guy is out of his mind.
edit on 27-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Originally posted by JIMC5499 Hey Joe! You want to tell that to a few guys named Wozniack, Jobs and Gates, to name a few. I will add,Edison,Firestone, Fulton and Ford. Need to start calling Biden,'Smoking Joe" because he definitely is smoking something.

I'll add the Wrights, Edison, Bell as well as thinkers like Thomas Friedman and Martin Luther King who worked to overturn oppressive government laws like the draft and segregation.
edit on 27-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
here is proof of gov't vision and incentive in action today. www.youtube.com... lets hope it gets better. Hey, whats biden smoking anyways, this man is a menace to society. If he ever runs for president,PLEASE, don't vote for this man.

edit on 27-10-2010 by nite owl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Despite the negative comments and fierce determination to cast what Biden had said in a negative light, what he had said is only the truth.

It indeed HAD BEEN VISION AND INCENTIVE. Do acknowledge the truth and stop taking the blue pills.

AND ALSO, acknowledge WHO MAKES UP THE GOVERNMENT. It is you and me, together with with our families, relatives and friends whom had elected representatives to chart the path to achieve our common aspirations in life, at our bidding through our sacred votes.

Unfortunately, the corporatists amongst us feels that they are powerful enough, with their corruption and bribes, to take that power unto themselves and utilitarianly chart mankind's fate, one of authoritarian rule and slavery of our loved ones....

Please wake up before it's too late...only a few days to go..

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

He has a point alright. How about we just for a moment think about all of the great things that could have happened were it not for the government? How many business were not started due to confiscatory tax rates on business? How many businesses sold before they reached their full potential to escape estate taxes? How many initiatives died on the vine because the intellect that was needed to develop them had to spend time working through layers upon layers of government nonsensical red tape? How much land has been unable to be developed due to bogus environmental regulations? How many innovative technologies have been prevented from being deployed due to conflicts with lesser products of large corporate interests? How much quality human capital is wasted on complying with governmental nonsense like Sarbanes/Oxley, EEOC rubbish and the like.

The government does more to destroy good ideas in a year than they have helped bring to fruition in the last 200 and as it relates to those that the government has helped, they have simply provided funding (to employ government workers), funding that would likely have been raised through the private sector.

The reason and the only reason that the government gets into the business of supporting the innovative ideas born out of the private sector is to control them and thus restrict the freedom of people.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Your all wining like a bunch of babies. What do you want to do just vote in another republican so that we can continue this episode of political madness that so much reminds me of WWE's prime time wrestling soap opra bull crap. What are you ready to follow with the republicans great crusade and be a participant of the murder of more middle easterners when we invade Iran to assist in creating a Bible prophecized war? Everybodies pissed off now because Obama didn't do the impossible in 2 years, come on ats I thought people here were intelligent and seen the bigger picture.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The vast, and I mean VAST, majority of research and invention happens by private business' and citizens.

The big problem is none of (well almost none of) these inventions are used or interacted on by the majority, so nobody cares.

Go look up the patent lists, and you will see hundreds, even thousands of new patents every year.

My name is on 76 this year

And not one of mine will ever see news headlines or big stories.

Why? Because if it doesn't effect you directly, you don't care.

To say that these were done by government incentive or foresight is assinine.

PS: The mother of invention is laziness.

We invented the car so we wouldn't have to walk.
The gun so we wouldn't have to get close to kill.
Etc, etc, etc, we invent better ways to not have work

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

PS: The mother of invention is laziness.

We invented the car so we wouldn't have to walk.
The gun so we wouldn't have to get close to kill.
Etc, etc, etc, we invent better ways to not have work

We invented agriculture so we wouldn't have to go out into the forrest and forage for our food like animals do.

We created cattle/herding etc. so we wouldn't have to spend time hunting every day like animals.

I don't know if I would call this laziness as much as the principle difference between us and the animal kingdom.

The free time that these inventions afforded human beings gave us spare time to "think" and create further innovations, to engage in art and music, ponder our world. Invention is the very root of civilization.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join