It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Movie That Gets It Right (The Social Network)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Link to article

Who are the capitalist folk heroes of our time? The Social Network is a film that celebrates one of the greats, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. It might seem at first like an impossibly boring story that resists movie making: how Facebook came to be founded and grew, meeting trials along the way and becoming the giant that it is today.

In fact, it is not only a super exciting and wonderful movie on its own terms; it is probably the finest movie about free enterprise made in our times. It gets entrepreneurship in the real world exactly right. It deals brilliantly with all the important issues from the motivational drive behind web startups (it is not necessarily money) and the impossibility of slicing and dicing ideas into ownership units. It reportedly mixes fact and fiction, but that does not matter in the slightest for the many lessons and the overall theme.

Great article-slash-movie-review about the process by which freedom leads to economic progress. This is especially true of the first few paragraphs, in which Tucker discusses how the movie illustrates free-market capitalism at work.

Large businesses have their origins as small start-ups, that became wildly successful for the value they produce for others. This is a slap in the face for those who somehow see free markets as a zero-sum "one person's gain is at the expense of another" way of looking at things.

Later Tucker goes into the implications in the movie about the concept of intellectual property (a concept which he and most of the folks at mises.org oppose).

Certainly worth a read.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Although I agree with your statements on free markets etc etc, I hate to burst your bubble and show you this:

www.notcia.com...

I know you might not like to hear this, but ignorance isn't bliss.

join