It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS of ATS' ALIENS and UFO Forum***

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by billymeierprophet
i joined and simply because of my username i got hammered within ten minutes

You don't think that in this particular forum that your username might be just a little inflammatory from the get-go? I don't want to use the phrase, "asking for it," but...

Love the live and let live philosophy you seem to run your life by, pick a wrong 'un and you'll have the forum name police up yoo ass for evah.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThepreyeAgain for, tmk, the second time in a few weeks Springer has to bring this particular topic up, come on rude sceptics respect his views and value his time, please

See, here's a classic example for why Springer has had to make this thread. The above poster has mis-interpreted the whole thread and thinks that the thread is aimed at sceptics when it's clearly aimed at both sides of the fence.

It's for that kind of ignorancet that this thread has had to be created.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by brizellious
reply to post by Springer

I think this is a good idea that would help the mods. Does anyone else agree?

I think all off topic comments should be deleted and should be allowed to be moderated at some degree by the creator of the topic. Such as if i created a topic and someone came in badmouthing without any evidence or real debate on the subject the topic creator should be able to mark these comments for review by the moderators and should be deleted accordingly so we can actually get dug in to the topic at hand instead of sifting through pages of ignorance.
edit on 27-10-2010 by brizellious because: (no reason given)

Great idea in concept, bad idea in execution. You are leaving entire thread discussions at the mercy and opinion of whomever happens to be the moderator for them. What may seem off-topic to one, wouldn't be to another.

Don't get me wrong, there are countless threads that have a ridiculous number of pages with inane and/or "off-topic" (however it may be defined) posts that I have salivated at the idea of taking a virtual "red marker" and slashing my way through. But in so doing, I am blatantly infringing on other people's right to have an opinion and make a comment which conveys that opinion. If a handful of mods were able to indiscriminately pick through a thread and leave only the comments that they, personally, deemed important and/or relevant, then in all feasibility and practicality, the thread would become theirs.

The problem here is CIVILITY--people expressing and conveying their ideas and opinions in such a way that doesn't scream "I'M A TOTAL A-HOLE AND YOU ARE A TOTAL RETARD FOR NOT THINKING THE WAY I THINK"

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by brizellious
reply to post by Springer
allowed to be moderated at some degree by the creator of the topic.

Which would negate the whole purpose of posting a thread in a public forum to be discussed by a random slice of the populous.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

Originally posted by ThepreyeAgain for, tmk, the second time in a few weeks Springer has to bring this particular topic up, come on rude sceptics respect his views and value his time, please

See, here's a classic example for why Springer has had to make this thread. The above poster has mis-interpreted the whole thread and thinks that the thread is aimed at sceptics when it's clearly aimed at both sides of the fence.

It's for that kind of ignorancet that this thread has had to be created.

Yeah fair call, I hesitated before posting but let it go as I considered there had been a number of rudish posts aimed at individuals and as I was aiming at an amorphous group of people who only entered such a group as a mental construct it wasn't too bad.

However I admit I could've made a bad call soo.. Genuinely sorry to any who would consider my post aimed at themselves, there was no need.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I don't know exactly why, but I'm OFFENDED at the idea that I am *forced* to be polite to people!!!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Just kidding. Civility is in short supply in America these days, let alone "the net." I remember a world where we tended to respect the elderly, opened doors for people, said things like "please" and "thank you," and in general tried to be good people. Then came talk shows with rude people who somehow increased their ratings, and the ruder they got, the more money the shows made. That set the model for the modern day talk show. Then came MTV, which was pretty benign at first, but is now a sesspool of rude (and jack-arss-styled) behavior contained in reality TV. I suppose this has been going on since the mid/late 80s and now there is a generation of people who were born into such a climate. Of course, they aren't the only rude ones. Older people are just as rude, too, it seems. I do think there are more polite, courteous folks out there than there are rude ones, but there's something about sharing intense experiences, beliefs and opinions on ATS that brings out the BEAST in a lot of people.

It's like road rage. People who would never get angry under normal circumstances completely lose their minds when they're in a car. It's as if the structure of the car removes their inhibitions. Perhaps a website interface, a simple text block, evokes the same, or a similar, effect.

Sitting in a room, face to face, surely things can get heated, but it's not as likely. Even over the phone people find it easier to be rude, but there is the quality of at least hearing the sound/tone/inflection of the other person's voice. In a text block, however, we can't read that a person's words were meant to be delivered in a "jokingly sarcastic" tone. The same text might be read as "snide and angry." And, since most of us are NOT script writers, we're not used to stage directions that help *frame* how a line is delivered. For example, (sighing) "I wish you wouldn't do that." That same line can have significantly different meanings depending on the descriptive words contained in "( -- )". (shouting) "I wish you wouldn't do that." (whispering) "I wish you wouldn't do that." (playfully) "I wish you wouldn't do that." (frightened) "I wish you wouldn't do that." (light-heartedly) "I wish you wouldn't do that."

Maybe we should use some stage direction. Maybe make it a personal policy to be... CHIVALROUS at all times. When in doubt, just ask what would King Arthur do? OR, more appropriately, how would King Arthur say it? The antidote to rudeness and the lack of civility, IMHO, is becoming a *chivalrous* person, holding one's self to the standards of an honorable, compassionate knight. Yes, that's a bit melodramatic, but you get the idea.

Yet, even as angry as some people get, it's good that we're not stomping on each other's heads or getting otherwise physically violent. Still, be a knight, not a rude bully. Personally, I agree with the OP and feel that by holding ourselves to a higher standard, we make ourselves and the world a better place for everyone. AND, finally, remember one of the golden rules: the energies you send out get tripled and come back to you.
edit on 27-10-2010 by GhostLancer because: (typos)

edit on 27-10-2010 by GhostLancer because: Typos generated by the text block; when I sign on to edit, the "s" is there; when I exit the edit, they're missing, so please excuse the typos.

edit on 27-10-2010 by GhostLancer because: Just figured out that some letters next to "" must be HTML code; switched to normal "(" and ")"

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

That's because of the amount of absolutely BS threads lately.
edit on 27/10/10 by Edews because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
i think if we are too agresive with our debunking
we may scare off the proof we seek
i am personally discouraged by the blinky orbies phenomon
this is an aera i have studyed for a long time
and is discouraged as not important or wothy of real discution
if we can study things together rather than racing to claim debunked
there would be more material to consider

xploder

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
fantastic info good work

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but if it has, it bears repeating:

The people who actually do the legwork to figure out what's being shown in a video take a lot of flack from the people who want every light in the sky to be an alien spaceship, as well. Hopefully, this initiative is aimed at keeping both sides polite and not just aimed at the "skeptics." In other words, it's a two way street.

All due respect,

-TheAssoc.
edit on 27-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i have not been her long and find everyone has been nice to me and i dont realy know that much but i have a great time, and am learning alot, but sometimes when it gets abit heated i feel like i shouldnt add to the thread any more
edit on 27-10-2010 by scott,aussie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
nevermind
2nd line
edit on 27-10-2010 by Thunder heart woman because: not sure it's worth the effort, thanks though

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but if it has, it bears repeating:
The people who actually do the legwork to figure out what's being shown in a video take a lot of flack from the people who want every light in the sky to be an alien spaceship, as well. Hopefully, this initiative is aimed at keeping both sides polite and not just aimed at the "skeptics." In other words, it's a two way street.
All due respect,
-TheAssoc.

TheAssociate.....

That's why I'm taking a break.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
But some people need to be bought back down to earth!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojoharry
But some people need to be bought back down to earth!

Gently

Come on, in most cases it surely isn't even any sport for you guys, I hope!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well that should change things up a bit, thanks to the Creator...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Very interesting, you bring some good points.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
TheAssociate.....

That's why I'm taking a break.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Well, I hate to hear that, MMN, but it's certainly understandable. I hope it won't be too long a break, though, we needs ya 'round the UFO Forum.

Take care, bud

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MZYYY
I have said this before in another thread and I think I will post it in here.

What most of the new members don't understand about ATS is that it is a professional site. The amount of research and work they put into sightings is amazing. They will spend days and weeks to find anything that will help to figure out in the discussion of the sighting. They take sightings seriously and demand clear footage of objects.

New members come in and don't understand this.

Something that most members don't realize, I didn't either when I first joined the thread. Most of the members that have been here for awhile, like Springer has stated. Already have more knowledge than you do in this field. It may seem like all they trying to do is debunk your video, but try to listen to them. They have a lot more experience than you ( and me also ) in this. They will explain and provide information to you. Don't disregard it, but read and understand it.

When the El Paso sighting happened, I thought it had to be something out of this world. Phage came in and said it was the Golden Knights. I didn't even try to listen to him, I kept believing in what I saw. But I then realized that he was right. I admitted in my mistake and I thank these members for their knowledge.
edit on 26-10-2010 by MZYYY because: (no reason given)

I still do not believe that the El Paso incident are the Golden Knights. The US military would have happily said that they are the Golden Knights if that was the case. I don't think that they are that ignorant not to know what is happening around them.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Can't we all just get along, maaan? C'mon... Group hug. I love you guys.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join