It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS of ATS' ALIENS and UFO Forum***

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

Good post mark. Sometimes we all have our off days. It takes a man to admit it and apologize though. Well done.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I almost didn't come back here after the El Paso lights thread. I watched three people in particular go in and purposefully troll and dismantle that thread page by page by purposefully attacking others, while one did nothing but write the same content in multiple posts repeatedly. Their behavior left zero room for any type of civil discussion, and then the entire thread was shut down to those who wanted to continue the conversation.

A couple of days or so later, I saw a member mention taking a discussion off the forum to a private forum, JUST SO they could discuss it without having trolls ruin it. Then the moderator mentions, that's against ATS rules.

It's not fair for people who want to discuss something have to constantly put up with that sort of trolling, or have their threads shut down while civil conversation amongst other members who want to continue that conversation just be silenced.

This is the owners forum, and I'm not akin to telling others how to do their job, but there needs to be a better way of handling the trouble makers. My sister has posted here for years, and then I registered because I've been reading the forum for nearly a year, but I don't know if I'm going to stick around if this how things go.

As a member here what I would like to see is, alot of room for civil disagreement, minus the nastiness and the crazed multiple posting of the same content by those who are trying to purposefully shut down a thread, and alot of room for those who agree with one another to have their space to share and continue their civil conversation in.

Thank you

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
All I can say is I encountered this today, we shall see how long it takes to remove these individuals from the forums. Also maybe a mandatory email explaining the result/action taken every time a member alerts mods to tc violations instead of just the automated email we get...

--GeminiSky

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Glad to see this stated. I pretty much stopped coming to ATS due to the "attack dog" mentality.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Yes this thread was definitely needed, ive been more of a lurker for a long time. And just to see the amount of abuses get throw around is ridiculous.

This site is one where we share information and knowledge for positive outcomes. All this hate, makes it derogative and in the process so much knowledge is lost due to wasting time throwing forth bickerings back and forth.

To even be looking on this site, or making posts would mean you do share a common interest into serious topics, from the interesting to the remarkable. So much knowledge in these threads, that it should strictly impact peoples lives for the better.

The internet unlike aspect of real life has freedom of speech, and information that is uncontrolled unlike the media. Its important to share opinions and learn from them, even when we might not agree wiht everything being said.

We are not in school or on a playground here, people who tend to throw around this slander should really look twice to what they type and realise it is a waste of time.

Its so simple, calling someone a bad name etc > question yourself-is this post gonna be productive? > the answer is ALWAYS NO, constructive criticism goes to a certain extend. And we would expect sooo much more sense and sensibility from a person who posts on a website like ABOVE TOP SECRET where it is completely obvious that controversial topics will be discussed.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Yep, I've been a lurker for a long time and it seems stuff here's gotten on the wrong path a while ago.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Common Respect for everyone

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Thank you Mr. Springer.

Albeit that I have not been without sins (sorry), I fully agree with your statement.
Several reactions to some of my posts have indeed put me off, in bringing new issues to the ATS surface recently.

I hope that the debunkers that claim debunking everything and nothing, could use language that is less negative such as a poster is retarded, if not accept/understand what has been " clearly debunked" by them.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Dear Springer,
Firstly I must declare my gratitude for such a well put together site, full of very interesting topics.

I totally agree with your post, it's content and the dire warning, however I did want to point out one thing. In light of the forums you relate to, and the topics therein I think it is somewhat understandable that differing points of view would at some stage clash. Policing that must be a nightmare and headache.

Perhaps adding a pop up disclaimer prior to being able to "post" would deter some? I have seen such a thing work in other realms of IT, just a suggestion.

Again my thanks for ATS!

Regards,
T

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I agree.
It is important to focus the discussion on ideas, not in the people that debate, to separate people from their attitudes.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
i agree 100 per cent

i joined and simply because of my username i got hammered within ten minutes

i posted a very good picture of an anomoly on google earth and i got accused of `trolling`

theres no need!
not everyone spends their lives on internet forums you know

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Glad to see this, I tend to only lurk, because on the rare occasion that I have posted, I have been treated like a buffoon and a liar, even though I haven't said anything controversial or made any ludicrous claims. On one occasion, on a thread regarding disclosure, I casually mentioned the increasing number of UFO movies that were being released in the next 18 months compared to recent years. I was immediately set upon, ridiculed, and proof demanded. When said proof was duly delivered, I was accused of coming up with arbitrary time periods to suit my own argument!! All over a simple observation. So I don't really post anymore, it's really not worth the hassle.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Thank you! This should also go for the rest of ATS, especially the 9/11 forum where too much rude behavior goes unchecked.

Not to derail the thread but...
you mean when someone doesn't believe in the 9/11 conspiracy theories, they get absolutely torn apart and called sheep?

Anyway,
good thread idea Site Owner.

I've been to quite a few 9/11 threads and it looks to me like the rude behavior comes from both sides, not one.
Those that decry any form of government should probably rethink that position as when seemingly left to our own devices without any checks we always seem to devolve into mudslinging, fighting, and insults. Imagine how it would be in real life with no government in our lives.

Also, I would like to add that I find it disgusting and embarrassing that people older than me (I'm 18) act in this manner on a site whose motto is "Deny Ignorance" to the point that a figure in authority has to come in and tell grown men and women they have to behave or be punished.

I enjoy this site and the variety of perspectives that are brought to the table. I'll enjoy even more without all the pointless bickering.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boomadatigger

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Thank you! This should also go for the rest of ATS, especially the 9/11 forum where too much rude behavior goes unchecked.

Not to derail the thread but...
you mean when someone doesn't believe in the 9/11 conspiracy theories, they get absolutely torn apart and called sheep?

Anyway,
good thread idea Site Owner.

I've been to quite a few 9/11 threads and it looks to me like the rude behavior comes from both sides, not one.
Those that decry any form of government should probably rethink that position as when seemingly left to our own devices without any checks we always seem to devolve into mudslinging, fighting, and insults. Imagine how it would be in real life with no government in our lives.

Also, I would like to add that I find it disgusting and embarrassing that people older than me (I'm 18) act in this manner on a site whose motto is "Deny Ignorance" to the point that a figure in authority has to come in and tell grown men and women they have to behave or be punished.

I enjoy this site and the variety of perspectives that are brought to the table. I'll enjoy even more without all the pointless bickering.

Some people cannot control their emotions and some people like to use that to their advantage though manipulation. The world is filled with people who are not strong enough to carry a decent conversation where once they are confronted and lose the gist of the converation do not swallow their pride and listen. Most people like to talk and talk but few take the time to listen.

Still without the mistakes people wouldnt grow and then it would really be bad. It also seems that their is a flip to this coin and I will explain. For every ATS member who is "bickering and basically acting childish, there is a member who is "overly sensitive" to negative comments, even insults, and cannot put on their "filters" thus allowing themselves to have a ruined experience. Basically you must " take the bad with the good".

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thank you! The UFO/aliens is my favorite forum and I wish people could be civil in there if they disagree. I know I have gotten annoyed at some things in there but I try not to take it out on the poster. I hope everyone follows this from now on and not just in this forum but all!

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Share your opinion in a CIVIL, NON RIDICULING, POLITE way and direct your statements to the TOPIC not your fellow ATSer.

One would think this applied to ATS staff itself especially when reporting in national magazines. Calling me less intrepid in UFO Magazine was really not appropriate. I had done exhaustive research on the Bilderbergers and had attempted other intelligent threads. One wrong mistake in the UFO forum and suddenly all my prior efforts were discounted.

Whisper why don't you post anymore? Whisper you don't make threads anymore...

I've been humiliated into silence by the site itself. I won't be making that mistake again.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Good move, for in fact I don't post often or at all for this reason. Some of out here are having experiences that are persona;, with profound possibilities. We can't take pictures of voices, obe's and visions, thus I hold back. I have put it out on other sites which are nasty and oddly it is becoming excepted and interest shown. I will think about it, I do enjoy being here.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Thank you for posting this as it deserves everyone's attention. I tend not to see the arrogant behavior of the usual suspects on this forum because I tend to stick to the threads where these individuals never tread as they avoid the good topics like the plague (99% of the pseudo-skeptics on this forum do this).

Usual suspects? 99%? That's hyperbole.

I see "Drive-by Pseudo-Debunking" has become common place here now instead of actually taking the time to properly present ones opinion or explanation in a civil manner. One line arrogant opinions are often left in threads with no evidence or basis to back up those statements.

Junk topics get junk replies.

The types of people leaving these opinions know what they are doing as they traverse a fine line between attacking the subject and attacking the author. Instead of attacking the author of a thread or a post, they attack a large group of the "UFO community" or the "UFO community" as a whole. This is apparently acceptable according to the forums mods, but it shouldn't be. This tactic is ever prevalent and in no way should be acceptable as a form of "discussion". DEBATE the topic and quit ATTACKING the UFO community as a whole. PROVE something is "bunk" or "fake" by countering with logical debate and presentation, don't just sit there firing of arrogant one liners as you only earn the label pseudo-skeptic when you do so.

Types of people? Stereotype much? As for attacking groups of the UFO community I think that's ok. Take the Exopolitical community for example, everyone with half a brain knows they're full of it.

These same types again and again fail to impress as again and again they go after the most mundane and outlandish of topics to try and debunk. As if somehow trying to draw attention to themselves, they repeatedly claim "victory" and ALL UFO phenomenon bunk after pathetically attempting to prove the most silly of threads are indeed silly, something most of us with half a brain already knew. It gets old and tiresome.

Stereotyping again. How can you possibly know the motives behind individual members responses? Also, I think you´re using the term "pseudo-skeptic" too frivolously.
edit on 27-10-2010 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Thank you
Thank you Thank you....
Maybe I will take off my coat and stay a while!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Thank you, it does need to be brought under some kind of control again, it really has become a joke.

Can we also clamp down on the skirting around the minimum post please?

You know when someone makes a quick three or four word comment, and then posts "SECOND" to fulfil the T&C conditions as if that is meant to be acceptable, it really does need to be stopped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join