It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS of ATS' ALIENS and UFO Forum***

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
He raises a good point here, that I'd like to make an addendum to.

Everyone needs to stow their elitism (including me) when they know the identity of an object another member doesn't.

If a kid comes to school specifically to learn how to add and subtract fractions, you don't beat the hell out of him for not already knowing that which he came here to learn.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anthony1138
My mother taught me "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all" it's a shame other ats members's mothers never taught them the same.

I wonder if your mom knows intrepid?
Basic stuff we learned in kindergarten which seems to evaporate with anonymity and the occasional inflated D-Ego. We'll go through this little exercise periodically, because there are new members continually coming on board and sometimes a few more experienced members have selective memory about expectations for interaction. And sometimes people just have a bad day.

We all share the same basic goals (other than the occasional miscreant here purely for disruption), we just need to remember that and treat each other with some respect.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

thank you springer for coming and addressing this, it seems these things need to be reminded to many people who can be rude towards those that have major questions looming..

such a touchy subject should be treated with utmost respect from ALL members in everyway. were dealing with something that all people should be able to share their opinions with comfortably.

once again thanks for coming and setting this straight. were dealing with alot of what'ifs in this day and age.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The Topic of discussion has no relevance to having manners.

It does not matter if one knowns more than another person on any given topic. All that matters apart from information sharing is that each person here has the exact same Oppotunity to communicate with Manners and some Respect.

It's often been said that Respect must be Earned. I disagree.

Respect must be Modelled for others to see, it must be Offered as the first move in any discussion whether we agree or not with the people involved.

I've been here a long time now, and this year has really blown me away with the nastiness of some people.. and me being me will point it out to them as nicely as I can. I know this is not what the Mods want from me, but I figure if we all speak up clearly and respectfully at the time.. those who abuse will get the message just as quickly as being banned.

edit on 26-10-2010 by Tayesin because: can anyone sell me typing fingers that can spell properly?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Having lurked for quite some time here at ATS, and being a new member as of tonight, mainly because of Springer’s post, I would like to add a few thoughts of my own to this gentlemanly discussion. First, I would like to thank the management for a stellar post. I wish that other sites like this would follow your lead. I so enjoy a good healthy discussion and /or debate without the rudeness and unfounded arrogance that frequently accompanies such. Secondly, I would like to add that not all “new members” are ignorant or inexperienced. Some may have more than 30 years of research under their belt in one or more topics. Or they may know nothing, and just want to bounce some ideas off of others as part of a learning process. Either way, these forums will have a higher quality of posts and livelier discussions when those with little learning, and those with much learning (regardless of membership tenure), as well as those in between, set aside their pride, prejudice, and arrogance, and come here to learn, share, and enjoy stimulating discussion and debate without ridicule and blatant insults. I might also add that just because someone sounds less learned, doesn’t mean they are. And if the proprietor of this establishment will permit, this site has not gone unnoticed. So you never know for certain to whom you may be conversing. Or for that matter, who is just browsing. I look forward to more lurking, and who knows, possibly joining a few discussions now and then. And I hope to add, rather than detract from said discussions.
Sincerely, Klassified.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

Springer says they will be banned. If there are less people making the remarks, then the overall situation will improve. done and done. its not going to take a forum wide anything for this to happen, it is the moderators that are now on high alert.

this is not new. i have seen more than two other top forums go through this type of flushing within the last 12 months. i consider it a type of spring cleaning, but err, in the fall... it is for the best.

regardless, emotions are high everywhere. i'm sure there is a thread about that somewhere in here, lol.

peace,
mbzastava

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
After being a long time watcher of ATS and only recently becoming a member I have to agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately, today has been a very bad day for me.For whatever reasons. I've been out of work for a year, due to an illness followed by a lay off due to the economy, plus dealing with a disabled adult son and all the stress that comes with it, I have to admit I went on a bit of a tear today,and was rude and snarky, as well as uncaring and confrontational to several members and their threads. No matter what stresses I go through , there is no excuse for how I dealt with things today.I admit I am very emotional and passionate about my views and beliefs,and today seemed to be an overload of topics that got me fired up, but that does not give me the right to stomp on the rights of others.Each thread and each member should be given the same chance I get and no matter how I feel about their intelligence level, or their motives for a particular thread, or the ammount of work they put into it,I have to stay focused and respectful.
So here it is, I am very sorry to all the members I was rude to today.I never want anyone to treat me like that,and so far since I have been here everyone has treated me with respect and patience.Thanks.Peace.
edit on 26-10-2010 by mark1167 because: typo

edit on 26-10-2010 by mark1167 because: typo

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Amen!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I guess some people just don't get it though. I posted a UFO thread only to have my thread hijacked under a different title two or three times,then another harassing me,because he was to lazy to contribute his OWN ideas to the thread. This is getting to be far too common place here. I'm trying to be a gentlemen,thank you. CASH.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Seems like every few months or so I have to restate this...

This forum is here for the CIVIL discussion of things related to Aliens and UFOs. You will treat your fellow member with respect and CIVILITY or you will not be able to post here anymore.

If the topic your fellow member posted about is not something you agree with, you find horrid, or absolutely HATE, that's fine. Share your opinion in a CIVIL, NON RIDICULING, POLITE way and direct your statements to the TOPIC not your fellow ATSer.

There is another option, if all you have is snarky, snide, or rude comments, KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF.

This forum is a wide open playing field, we have hundreds of new members who are new to this topic, they WILL BE treated with the respect and civility a fellow ATS member deserves.

This applies to people you think may be hoaxing as well. The staff will deal with hoaxers, simply alert the thread/post and we will handle it.

Don't risk your membership by going off on ANYONE, being a rude jerk or hammering on those who haven't had the chance to learn what you have learned yet as that's probably why they came here don't you think? How would YOU have felt if I came down on you the first few days you were a member of ATS?

I am serious about this and we've directed the staff to keep a vigilant eye on this forum and we are asking our members to use the ALERT Button to notify the staff of offending posts.

Springer...

LOL sadly some people feel that denying ignorance means they are right all the time.... but I like those little snide remarks... its so cute to be ridiculed by "sheeple"... further giving credence to whatever I feel is relevant

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I wonder if that applies to the occasional humorous response which is designed to invoke laughter.

tt

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

The best point you made was the learning curve required on the subject. The same goes for many areas of ATS. Some people are just now learning the topic, they should be guided and errors pointed out but it is always polite to mention that there have been times with all of us that we thought something was true and then found out it was not; however much we wanted to believe.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
All I have to say is: "Amen."

Thank you for saying this. Maybe it will have an impact in the Aliens and UFO forum.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Is user down voting out of the question?
Once a certain number of downvotes, the user isn't allowed to post and the post is hidden for the time being awaiting intervention by moderators.
This power would only be given to members who have proven maturity. Easy to spot these members really.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I gota give "Springer" here props for that statement... If you dont believe or like debunking stuff "theres a place for it". but you might keep in mind if it were 30 years ago would you believe or not have snarled at about 50% of what is going on in the world at large today???
Not to mention that negative or descending "retorts" can (and will...) keep other people from making Posts of there own experiences possibly due to ridicule as well. I know I have been waiting over 30 years to make mine....
not to mention when I have posted in more famous sites it was more or less blown off or w/o comment. I could only wish (as im sure almost every other person who has posted occurrences ) that EVERYONE could have witnessed and felt what I did as well :/ .

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CASH69

Or it could be that there is a requirement of "x" amount of replies before a person can make a Post on this site also. Isn't that right? I may have got mixed up from one sight to the other but I think it requires you to make 20 replies before making a post. If so I could see where among a certain group plagiary could become the item of convenience over patience. Thats not saying I condone such actions..merely a possible observation

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Springer,

I have a few problems with comments being made on ATS' A&U forum. These are comments which leave a foul taste in my mouth, and which I see constantly. It is like an insult, or ridicule, which people seem to always state, and it changes the mood of the rest of topic, and they get away with it. It's a veiled insult.

For example, someone will post a new UFO sighting and the first few comments will be something like this;

I wonder what 'debunkers' or 'skeptics' are going to call this now? Lanterns, kites, rc craft, balloons, venus, swamp gas...

Although the above quote doesn't look bad at first glance, it is completely ignorant, and is an insult to every logical thinking person. It's an insult to every person who tries to identify objects. It is almost like they have already set in their mind that they are not going to even try to identify the object.

I think comments like the above should be treated as off topic rant. They are attacking "debunkers" and "skeptics", and not talking about the UFO. I wished ATS was more strict on comments such as the above.

Another problem is when people start calling others "closed minded". It's also an insult that I see constantly thrown around ATS. I think that comment should be banned, because it is insulting to be called closed minded.

Heck, even the words "skeptic" and "debunker" are being used as an insult by some. Even people who are not skeptics or debunkers are being labeled skeptics and debunkers just because they don't believe a certain UFO is a UFO. It's insulting....

If you want to keep the forums civil, I think ATS should be more strict on these names and comments which make people angry.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mbzastava

You've been registered 3weeks. I've been registered 3 years.

I know how the forum typically goes. I read his post, and at the time it was only on pg 1. Getting pushed farther and farther down the recent posts list. Hardly anyone was even viewing it.

Now that it is on the front page more people will see his warning. What good is a warning if no one even bothers to read it. That's where it was at much earlier today. It has since been elevated and more have become aware of springer's stance and stern seriousness over the subject.

Which I think most overlooked for quite a while.

edit on 10/27/2010 by agent violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/27/2010 by agent violet because: typing errors

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

Yes, I remember seeing your comments. You have integrity of character to admit it though. And besides that, come over here and give me a big hug you. Love love love love love love love love!!!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HermitShip

How does one report a troll just throwing out insults?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join