It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did 4.3 Million People Reject a Job and Stay on Unemployment Instead?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Did 4.3 Million People Reject a Job and Stay on Unemployment Instead?

www.da ilyfinance.com

Government-funded unemployment insurance payments have probably kept millions of people from living on the streets and starving during this recession. So naturally, jobless benefits are to blame for the high unemployment rate. Or so argues Harvard professor Robert Barro in The Wall Street Journal. JPMorgan Chase (JPM) issued a similar analysis in March 2010. Still, that logic isn't persuasive -- although it's popular among those who would like to roll back the U.S. to the way it was before FDR.

Barro argues that unemployment insurance makes people turn down job offers so they can sit on t
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com
mm.jpmorgan.com...*d_387271.pdf*h_-2797gct" target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
This Week In Jobless Discrimination: Unemployed Applicants Might 'Be Tempted To Steal'
Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The employers and the financial analyzing ilk continue their schizophrenic double talk as they continue to demonize the unemployed. On one hand the employers are openly saying to the unemployed to not bother applying because we will not hire you. Then they demonize the unemployed saying that it is the unemployed's fault they don't have jobs.

Then the financial analyzers say that the reason the unemployed don't have jobs is because the unemployed turn down jobs to remain on unemployment benefits. What job offers??? The employers have already said that if you're unemployed that they will not hire you!

Employers have even come out and demonized the unemployed saying they would be more likely to steal.

The unemployed are being shut out by society and demonized. They are painted as lazy, shady people who are likely to steal from you! Wow, with that kind of image, why would anyone want to give them jobs?

And yes, ending unemployment would bring down the unemployment figures. However, the unemployment figures do not count those who do not receive unemployment, so of course it would bring the figures down. It does not mean that the people are any less unemployed.

The official figures is that there are 5 people per job opening. Based upon what I have seen where thousands of people are applying for one job opening, I would say that figure is far from correct. But even taking the official figure means that each applicant has 80% chance of not being hired. And yet people wonder why so many people stay unemployed for so long!

www.da ilyfinance.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Unemployement pays a lot better then some jobs, so it makes sense for someone to turn down a job that pays less then what the government is giving you.

My wife did the same thing. For a while the only jobs that would hire her were places like mcdonalds and delivering pizzas. Since she would be taking a cut if she got off unemployement she opted to stay on it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Thats just common sense too. I mean I am on unemployment ( its not fun ) but if someone has bills or say, child support, how are they too pay those and survive if a pizza place wants to pay you 7 bucks an hour. On unemployment someone can make 3 dollars more for free?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

4.3 million is surely a stretch, but I am absolutely certain that it has had a major impact. I recently fired a girl that did everything possible to get fired. She had planned to transition to part-time, but as soon as the 99 week unemployment extension hit, she changed her mind about going to part-time, and instead she became the employee from hell! It took a month to fire her, and of course we contested the unemployment, but she got it anyway, because how can I possibly "prove" her "intentions were fraudulent?" I know they were fraudulent, but I don't know of any technology that can read her thoughts well enough to stand as proof!

I have overheard many other conversations of people that had intended to go ahead and take that lower paying job that they had been considering, but now that benefits were extended, they can take another year to look for the "perfect" job for their sensitive selves!!

Unemployment is a good thing.......temporarily. 99 weeks is an abomination!!!

Innovation is born out of necessity!

It is necessity and not pleasure that compels us. --> Dante

Necessity is the mother of invention. --> Franck / Jonathan Swift

Necessity is the last and strongest weapon. --> Titus Livy (probably stolen from Sun Tsu)

Learn on how little man may live, and how small a portion nature requires. --> Pharsalia

Necessity makes even the timid brave. --> Catilina

It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men will do when they don't have to. --> Walter Linn

edit on 26-10-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You can still receive partial unemployment if you accept a part time job. Most of the job openings are all part-time these days anyway, at least that's the case around here.

The job I lost was only part-time, so I never qualified for unemployment in the first place.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
yuuuup.

Star and flag.

The land of the free and easy. Well not really. We should be thanking all them good hearted politicians who want to pay my rent every month. Keeps me out of them food lines and homeless shelters.
(sarcasm)

But just as the poster above stated. It makes more sense to stay on unemployment (that is willing to pay you upwards of half ur salary) and look for a well paying job than wasting ur time working for beans at your local 7-11...good ole capitalism will prevail everytime

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Gee,just think how nice it would be if there were controls on what corporations and businesses could demand for necessary goods to survive....

And if they realized that if everyone worked part time to make room to employ everyone who wanted to work....

There would be less unemployment....

....?....

The problem here is that human labor and technology is in conflict,and always will be.

The other problem is that those who don't want you to realize this use technology to mislead you,and let you know something is wrong with the unemployed....

When they are the ones who are in error,and know it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
let's see...work 16 hours a week part time for 8 bucks an hour, 128 dollars a week gross, and be a fine upstanding citizen...or...get unemployment at 215 dollars a week while looking for a job, and be called lazy, worthless, a deadbeat.
nobody is talking about the ACTUAL AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT EMPLOYERS PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES, that tends to never get discussed.
but hey...there are tea party people and republicans that want to do away with the minimum wage...what a swell bunch of americans

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

In a perfect world,the employer would ask you how much you needed to get by,do you have a mortgage?,etcetera...

And pay you enough to get away once in awhile,but not enough to break free of the necessity of still working.

Greed is the problem here,straight up.

America ain't by any means #1,it's one of the worst places in the world to work.

Do your research....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Go to different fast food restaurants that display "Help Wanted" or "Now Hiring" and gather applications. When you see someone on the side of the road with a "will work for food" sign, hand them an application. A month later they will likely still be there. Getting a job is easy. Accepting one isn't so much for some people apparently.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
reply to post by jimmyx

In a perfect world,the employer would ask you how much you needed to get by,do you have a mortgage?,etcetera...

And pay you enough to get away once in awhile,but not enough to break free of the necessity of still working.

Greed is the problem here,straight up.

America ain't by any means #1,it's one of the worst places in the world to work.

Do your research....

uhmm...what research do you want me to do?...i'm quite aware that the U.S. is not the greatest place to work. i think shareholders should outsource all the top executives of a corporation to india and china, the shareholders would get alot better return on their investments. a company could pick up a COO, CFO, CEO for a couple hundred thousand a year, and save shareholders tons of money.

and speaking of research...maybe you might want to do some on the REASON that minimum wage was made a federal law...hint: it wasn't because employers were paying a living wage.
i guess americans could live in a shanty house with dirt floors while making 1 dollar an hour, just enough to feed themselves so they can make it back to work the next day.
edit on 26-10-2010 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Go to different fast food restaurants that display "Help Wanted" or "Now Hiring" and gather applications. When you see someone on the side of the road with a "will work for food" sign, hand them an application. A month later they will likely still be there. Getting a job is easy. Accepting one isn't so much for some people apparently.

/TOA

you know, i actually did that a couple a years ago....same results as you got...i don't give them a dime when i see them, and they are all over the place here in stockton, california. i had a job from the time i was 16 to being laid off at 54, spent 20 months looking for any other type of job after the lay-off, nothing that didn't pay more than minimum wage for 16 hours a week, even though i had a 4 year degree. some friends of mine in the same age group have masters and they are in the same boat. only one got a job, and that was a clerk at a "quick stop" for 2 8-hour shifts a week. one look at us, (in our 50's), and it's "sorry, but we're still evaluating other applicants"

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Greed.

Money ain't for nothin',and the chicks are free.

Greed.

You can go to school,who is definitely going to benefit from your doing so?.

There are no guarantees except to those you end up indebted to,then you have to pay back the loan doing whatever you can find to do to earn any money at all.....

And then comes the mention of "Shareholders".........

banking on the failure of the ignorant masses.

edit on 26-10-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Very well put and thought out! Just to bad you have the haters who don't understand the benefits of the capitalist system, they will continue to rant and rave, until it benefits them? Such Irony~

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

/TOA

Most times you can make more on unemployement then you can working at a fast food restaurant. I know this because my wife turned down a few jobs when she was looking because she was getting a better check from the government.

Its one thing sitting on a corner looking for handouts. Its another thing getting fired and trying to find a job that will pay for your mortgage, bills and everything else your family needs.

Yes, getting a job is easy. Getting a job that actually helps more then an unemployment check isn't.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

/TOA

I have applied at every place having a help wanted sign. They either never call you or they tell you that you're overqualified.

Employers also will not hire you if you're unemployed most of the time. There have been numerous news articles covering this as well as many job ads boldly saying to not apply if you're unemployed. They have a question on the first page of the job application asking if you're employed to make it easier to weed out the jobless. If you lie and they find out then you just get weeded out when they check it out.

If getting a job was so easy, I would have received a job offer by now. I have a college degree. I graduated with the associates degree with honors. After I got the degree, I started hearing the "overqualified" excuses. Why bother going to college if you're just making yourself 'overqualified' for the available job market. Or they wanted someone with experience, which I didn't have since no one had offered me a job. LOL yeah, getting a job is easy alright. You can fill out the job applications all day. That does not mean someone will actually hire you. I found out the hard way. I went out expecting to find a job because my grades were so excellent in school. Instead I was being interviewed by a lot of people who didn't even finish high school who turned their nose up at me. I went to school, made great grades, and could get a job nowhere.

I'll be moving into my car next week. My savings is about depleted and I cannot afford my apartment. No one with cheaper apartments will rent to me because I have no job. I was paying rent and electricity from child support, but the rent got jacked up to where it's higher than the child support money. So, my daughter and I will be officially homeless next week.

I had a job at Wal-mart last year. They hired me as a temp and promised that if I did a good job that they would keep me. I was desparate for the job. I even worked when I was sick with high fever to make sure I had perfect job attendance. They complimented me on my work, telling me that they wanted to keep me. Then, they fired me anyway. I had one of them admit to me a few months later that they never intended to keep me in the first place. They put lies about me in their computer that they won't let me see and told me that I would have to hire a lawyer to find out what it was, practically laughing in my face.

These employers know it's an employers' market and they take advantage of it. And they love hurting people while doing it. Had I known I wouldn't be kept, I would've got a cheaper apartment in another town while I still had an employer to put down on an apartment application. Instead, I was deceived and signed a year's lease renewal believing their lies that if I did a good job I would be kept. Hard work does not mean you will get ahead in life. I've worked hard in some way all of my life and have zilch to show for it.

People with will work for food signs are typically looking for jobs that pay them cash for whatever reason.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nobody is getting free money! Your employer takes some of your money out of your check in the form of taxes and puts that into an unemployment fund as you work, as they're required by law to do. If you havn't been working you don't get unemployment. It's your money to begin with!

The gov is not giving away free money unless you're a bank or major corporation. Spin spin spin. Fan the flames. Who else saw the right wing guy yesterday stomp the left wing woman in the face, over political views? Divide and conquer. Tell the angry crazies in the tea party (who are just as $ broke $ demographically as the people they hate) the country is being taken over and destroyed by anyone who's not a WASP. They turn violent, physically attacking people over politics, and soon over physical traits I'm sure, and now the gov's got an excuse for all types of affronts on civil liberty. (See this thread for more: www.abovetopsecret.com... )

The msm is hypnotizing you. Why do ALL women in this country feel like they have to lose ten pounds?! Every single woman I've known or met in the past 5-10 years has this mass psychosis, skinny or big. Tell them men like a little meat on the bones, they'll say they're doing it for themselves to feel healthy. By starving themselves, and not exercising at all.....right.

It's divide and conquer. If you are not making over $100,000 a year, and especially if you make less than $20,000, you have nothing in common with the people who claim to speak for you on t.v.
I've been blessed to see many walks of life, and know personally both homeless people and billionaires. Whole different brain patterns and ways of viewing the world, I can assure you. Most tea partiers have more in common with most black panthers than they do with S4rah Pal1n.

Love, and look out for your family, and tribe/people- but realize we're all human and headed to hell in a handbasket if we don't stick together against the people destroying the very air, water, and Earth itself.

It's a common tactic- create problems for the people, make it next to impossible to survive, then blame those same people for not being able to claw their way back up to some sort of "productive" life when the msm say's "everything's better now".

There are fields, Neo, endless fields of human energizer bunnies. Human cattle, only worthy of life as long as their tax revenues are coming in.

I do hope everyone is aware that the gov. uses your social security # as a stock/bond valued around $750,000, the amount your expected to generate in taxes over an average lifetime, and they sell these for vast sums under your name.
Look up Strawman.

Wage SLAVE indeed. It's far cheaper to have people do the grunt work and pay their own way through life, than having actual slaves you have to clothe and feed yourself. Not to mention tax revenue.

Please wake up my family, White Black Red Brown and Yellow. Your children cry out to you.
edit on 26-10-2010 by siahchi because: added thread link

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i dont see what the big deal about unemployment is. it has strict rules and limits, and on top of that the person collecting EARNED that money, shaven off of every paycheck. if joe shmoe wants to spend a year making sure his next job (which could easily take up the rest of his life) is as good as the last one, let him do it. its no skin off your back, as much as you think it is. thats why its called Unemployment INSURANCE. its not FREE.

if you want to point fingers at handouts look to welfare.

one of the conditions to receive unemployment is you have to have contributed something already.

one of the conditions to welfare is you have to be contributing nothing, or you stop receiving it.

this isnt rocket science. they are almost polar opposites.

i myself am on unemployment, and if it were up to me i would have rather kept the money that they took off of every paycheck for the past several years. but seeing as how i have no choice, rather than be flatout robbed, i will enjoy benefits until they are exhausted.

if you dont like it, ill tell you the same thing they told me when i first discovered this back and forth robbery. "if you dont like it, change it at the ballots"

(the joke is that i was only 16 at the time and couldnt even vote for another 2 years )

edit on 26-10-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: needed to add some love.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by siahchi

where i am from they take it out of taxes, AND then separately for UEI (unemployment insurance)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join