It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I thought "internet spelling" was a no no.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I thought "internet spelling' was not Kosher here. I see it more and more, and frankly, I think it degrades the site.
There's enough teen looneyness here lately without ATS looking like Junior High MySpace. Is it too much for posters to actually make the effort to spell out words in the English language?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am giving this thread a bump because I agree completely with the OP.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

thank you.
again.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

ur so totally rite lol

Just kidding. I am sorry for that ridiculous sentence... I agree with your point, flag.

Just kidding again, I guess you can't do stars on the questions.
edit on 10/26/2010 by spacekc929 because: stars

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Personally Leet Speak makes me :bnghd: It does nothing to enable one to practice English skills. That's just me though.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I don't disagree, but I've never seen actual leet speak (1337 5p33k) on ATS.

OP is talking about text message English, where everything is abbreviated even to the point of simply skipping vowels.

Either way, I'm in absolute agreement. One more thing that degrades the level of discourse anywhere.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Am I nuts ( no remarks please), or did this used to be ATS policy?
Why relax the minimal standards the site has?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

This old fart doesn't know the difference.
It just doesn't do anyone any good imo. Mind you I'm an English major so that may have something to do with it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Language changes, adapts and adopts over time - that's why English is considered the 'business language of the world' because it incorporates so many others into it.

Grammar I can understand (to a degree - get a talk-to-type piece of software if it's too hard) but basic being understandable seems to be going the way of the do-do all over the net.

Hopefully it's a phase.

Like people swapping letters for numbers in their usernames.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Is there a clear line on this?

Are we talking common internet acronyms like: lol, omg, idk, imo, imho, wth?

or are we talking ATS specific acronyms like: OP, S&F, mod, ATS, BTS?

or are we talking shortened english words like: tho instead of though, txt instead of text or ur instead of you're (or you are or your)? I wonder if some people got all upset when the apostrophe started to be used?

or are we talking leet speak like: haXor or pwn or noob or nub?

I'm just saying..."interent spelling" could mean a lot of different things to different people. And people have used some of these examples (except the "leet speak") in this very thread.
edit on 26-10-2010 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I concur.
Honestly, I think the "ur" word usage is, majority of the time, the users complete lack of knowledge of how to spell the word "your, you're" in the correct context. Makes me mental. Same with the "there, their, they're" thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I consider it to be inflexible and shows an inability to adapt. Personally I have no real problem with common abbreviations.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's an example, not to pick on any one poster:
"
.... err thanku 4 that erudite elucidation. I am awestruck by your command of the Y words - and such intelligent repartee ... u must be a big hit at parties assuming uve been invited 2 1. I bet the girlfriend is impressed ... oh u don't have one? ... well mummy loves u ... I red some of your blurbs ... well none actually but keep up the good work. Some replies 2 Yor waffle seemed a bit confused by your point ... must have been all the Yakkities ... looking forward to .... nah ... not really ... beem me sideways Spotty "

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I consider it to be inflexible and shows an inability to adapt.

Personally I wouldn't want to adapt to a lesser form of communication.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

There is a nobility in language, words have meaning according to their usage.
Adapt to what? The dumbing down of society?
No thanks.
The current fad of texting?
No thanks.
Try a little context. A thousand years of history and literature trumps five years of texting!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by eNumbra

This old fart doesn't know the difference.

count yourself lucky.

I've been part of the gaming community for far too long, and am now working as a Designer.

for anybody interested, en.wikipedia.org... leetspeek can get ridiculously complex but always remains equally stupid.
edit on 10/26/2010 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Internet is a time away from school books, and while I like reading a good book, writing one is not my favorite passtime, and with my thyroid/chronic fatigue, large sorting jobs/brain function, is affected. So to me, being a purist is cumbersome, and its basically not an equalizing thing either. It shows the brilliant prose and the ordinary folks.

I believe in equalizing people, and good books, works of art, poetry, news articles, these need to be done by professional writers, and there are many good writers online.

But being able to have a voice and an opinion and speak up on issues should be the empowerment of all, and not elitist, but equal.

LOL, Gov, ppl, etc etc, are simple abbreviations. They don't ruin my day.

Turn that pyramid upside down, thats actually what it takes to get off this planet, in each of our hearts.

I would like to hear the voices of the most vulnerable, loud and clear, including the homeless and from all walks of life.

Wisdom Looks Up From The Bottom Of The Well!
edit on 26-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

Am I nuts ( no remarks please), or did this used to be ATS policy?
Why relax the minimal standards the site has?

I don't want to nit pick...but you did just use "ATS". Why is that acceptable to you and not other abbreviations?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That's the thing though. When language is "dumbed down" equality goes out the window. An articulate post will always be considered of more value to the reader because the time was taken to get the point across, not only appropriately but with better meaning. I look at this the same way. That's life.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Oh come on.
I didn't ever say 'no abbreviations" did I?
Why split hairs? It's obvious from the example i posted exactly what I mean.
I have never been the grammar or spelling police, I simply think that this site should at least try to maintain SOME integrity.
edit on 26-10-2010 by OldDragger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join